Miracle! The wife is coming around!

KingGlamis

Banned
After DAILY teasing from the wife about my flashlight addiction, she has possibly "seen the light" finally. :twothumbs

Here's the story. We're going camping this weekend with 6 other friends and none of my friends are flashaholics. My wife is leaving tomorrow (Thursday) but I won't be up there until Friday night due to work. So tonight she asks me........................

"Can I take one of your flashlights with me?"

Well hot damn!!! She IS coming around! A few months ago she refused to take ANY light with her when walking the dog at night, and now she is asking to use one of my lights. There may be hope after all.

I told her, "Sure, of course you can." Then she asked if she could take my brightest light, and I replied, "NO WAY! :crackup:But if you would like your own light I will buy it for you." She mumbled something about not wanting to spend that much on herself, but I can tell she is coming around.

What a great night in the life of a flashaholic.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet. :thumbsup:

My girlfriend has been converted from day one since I gave her a modified WWOT light. Her Dad has my Propolymer Lux and a bunch of Ultra-Gs lying around their house. It's nice to not have someone watching over your shoulder on how many lights you have...

Then again she grew in earthquake country as well and fully understands the value of tools to be self-sufficient. If she was a pampered urban dweller I would not expect the same.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about this carefully before you answer:

Why not let her use your brightest light?

I know it would have cost you a fortune, and I know what it means to you, but think about it:

- it is robust
- it won't come to any harm
- she will get a real kick out of using it
- she will appreciate the gesture
- you might convert her properly

Just a thought.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad! Now you'll have to support two habits.:shakehead

Burgess

Flashaholic
if someone wants to learn how to drive . . . .

you don't start 'em out with a Ferrari or Rolls Royce. :whistle:

But you are indeed fortunate here.

Handle it properly, and we ALL benefit ! :wave:

Will be waiting anxiously for the first posts from QueenGlamis !

:party:

_

Pokerstud

Enlightened
After DAILY teasing from the wife about my flashlight addiction, she has possibly "seen the light" finally. :twothumbs

Here's the story. We're going camping this weekend with 6 other friends and none of my friends are flashaholics. My wife is leaving tomorrow (Thursday) but I won't be up there until Friday night due to work. So tonight she asks me........................

"Can I take one of your flashlights with me?"

Well hot damn!!! She IS coming around! A few months ago she refused to take ANY light with her when walking the dog at night, and now she is asking to use one of my lights. There may be hope after all.

I told her, "Sure, of course you can." Then she asked if she could take my brightest light, and I replied, "NO WAY! :crackup:But if you would like your own light I will buy it for you." She mumbled something about not wanting to spend that much on herself, but I can tell she is coming around.

What a great night in the life of a flashaholic.

King,

Your a lucky man. Come on out to East Mesa so your wife can talk to my wife about this very thing, all I get is the eye roll :duh2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you, it's good to be King eh?!

My wife turned the corner a while back. In fact she always makes sure she has her Arc AAA-P with her when she hits the road. And check this out, she is getting pretty good at spotting Surefires on TV and in movies.

I blew it the other day. I got a NovaTac 85P and thought no big deal, I just won't let her see my HDS and NovaTac at the same time and she won't know the difference. Well I was reprogramming it and she asked what I was doing. And without thinking I blurted out, "I'm reprogramming my NEW light!" She just shook her head and walked away.

One word of advice, if your wife is like mine, she is quick to loan things out. Just make sure she knows what lights are loaner lights.

kelmo

big beam

Enlightened
My wife warmed up to my lights a year or so ago but what sold her was a light I got her for her birthday.L1D-CE with Q5 and her name and birthday inscribed from fenix store.
the only problem is she now wants a P3D
DON

Illum

Flashaholic
don't look at pictures of compact titanium custom/homemade lights...esp mclux, gatlights, orb and anything that you feel she might be attracted to.

KingGlamis said:
But if you would like your own light I will buy it for you.

thats a promise you can't afford:)

leprechaun414

Enlightened
:help: Maybe someone can start a thread on how to confince your other half to not want to kill you every time "LIGHT" comes into the picture:grin2:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that my wife was coming around.She frequently uses a Dorcy super 1watt but was remarking that she needed(exact quote here) her blue INOVA X5 to check on the kids at night. :twothumbs Maybe I will have to look into an engraved light for her.She was eyeing my LOD-CE the other day. ;)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy them a Surefire TITAN. Take it to your jeweler have a diamond embedded in it and an I LOVE YOU engraved and you will have her on the hook.
My wife EDC's a groovy. She likes how easy it is to use...click it and it turns on. She likes how wide the beam is.
In my normal ongoing informal poll (I ask woman who seem interested) Weather She likes a Tight Beam or a Wide beam.
Most men It seems prefer a Tight Beam while Woman prefer a wide beam.
I am happy to hear that she is coming around. Sure beats hiding our 250 flashlight collection from your wife. I am so happy My wife has adopted a don't ask don't tell policy when it comes to the price of the lights in my collection.
Flashlights are becoming more and more popular for woman in general. I believe we will see more lights geared specifically for girls and woman in general.
Yaesumofo

Valolammas

Enlightened
Good for you! And your wife, too.

My wife doesn't think I need quite as many lights I as do, but she admits that they are useful and borrows them from time to time. If you are buying a light for your wife, let her try some of yours first. Turns out my wife hates twisties and when she does borrow a light from me, she wants one that just clicks on and off (with a single click). Fenix L1T or UKE 4AA are the ones she usually accepts.

A couple of direct (translated) quotes from my wife: "well, at least they are useful" and "there are worse hobbies". I laughed at the latter one, but it's true. Oh, and after I'd completed my first Mag-mod, she said "it's not any brighter than that cheap plastic one we have". Yes it is, dear. And she actually came into the bathroom with me to compare the beams! Afterwards she said I must be the silliest man on Earth, but she loves me anyway. :grin2:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find there are more and more instances where my wife says "I need a flashlight". She's also learned to accept that any package that comes to the house is automatically for me.:broke:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
It has been a slow process for my girlfriend but she is coming around. She now has a G2 in her car and she carries a Surefire Winelight in her purse. She doesn't use them very often but she is glad they are there just in case.

My girlfriend has asked about the cost of most of the lights that I have. At first it was just out of curiosity but now she uses the information to judge how careful she has to be with any particular light. She knows about my Ti McGizmo and she is VERY careful with it. She is even going to call me today at work if my black KL4 head arrives in the mail. I sure do love that woman.:thumbsup:

soffiler

Enlightened
Doug - depends on what your brightest is. Mag85 or beyond? HID? If so, I would have said "no" too. But you want to loan her a nice one for sure. A few months back, my wife was house-sitting and horse-sitting for some friends and I was holding down the fort at our house, so she was alone. Some harmless neighborhood pre-adolescents were messing around after dark on Saturday night and all she had was the homeowner's 2D Mag with iffy cells. She hit them with it anyway (the beam, I mean) and they scrambled. Next day she asks me to bring over her favorite light, a 3D MagLED. I did, but I also brought my SSC-modded Coast Focusing Lenser with 200 lumens on a fresh charge. I put them both on the table and she laughed at the Coast, 1/10 the size of the Mag. Then I gave her the whitewall demonstration. Mag beam is tight and reasonably bright, with about 8" spot at about 10' to the wall. Then the Coast. Beam is so large and in charge at 10' that you can't even see the Mag spot anymore. She took the Coast, but the kids never came back. I had a tough time getting it back from her.