AAA minimag upgrade?

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a minimag to play with for a mod I have in mind and It came in a blister pack with a "free" 2xAAA minimag.

It seems pretty useless as is, so I started hunting for a simple upgrade for it. I found the Terralux TLE-20 but you only get about 20 lumens out of it.

I'm not looking to turn it into a death ray :naughty: but Is sombody making an upgrade with a better emitter? or has someone done an easy swap on the TLE20?

Thanks in advance

Greg

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
I have the TLE-20 in my AAA mm. A LOT more light than the stock bulb, especially considering the mm's light weight. It also maintains its focus abilities. My AAA mm came as a combo with my Leatherman Wave. (The belt holder holds both, so I end up carrying/using it more than I thought I ever would) Depending on your needs, this can be a pretty handy light. You can also take the head off the mm and use it as a lantern. It is plenty enough light for proximity lighting, the lantern can light a dark room, and the spot focus has served me well at night on the trail.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
You should certainly get improved runtimes with the drop-in. I personally like mine in the "candle mode" for a handy little power out or tent light!

...sometimes less light is more desireable!

22hornet

Enlightened
I have both the TLE-20 for my 2AAA and the TLE-5 for the 2AA.

The TLE-20 has about 11 lumen (exactly the same as the Fenix E1, they also use the same leds, if I am correctly informed). This 11 lumen output is also what you will get from an Inova Bolt 2AAA. Comparing prices, it seems to me that the Bolt is a better deal than the Minimag's upgrade.

For 20 lumens, you will need the TLE-5 kit for the Minimag 2AA. Again the Inova Bolt 2AA seems like a better deal and it has an output of 40 lumens, or better.

Some things that bother me with these TLE kits:
- the provided reflectors are weak and crack easily.
- heatsinking may not be a strong point.
- the dropin kit doesn't make a rugged impression.

If you take your standard Minimag 2AAA and fit it with a 2AA bulb and load it with NiMH cells, you will get the following results: runtime is cut in half (compared to the 2AAA bulb), but output is also boosted considerably.
In this setup, the Minimag will have - roughly - the same output as an ARC AAAp (7 lumens) and a focusable beam with useful throw. All in all, a servicable setup.:thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Joris

Gryloc

Enlightened
I was thinking about adding a micro-puck (the 350mA version), or possibly the SHO version (500mA), with a Luxeon Rebel 0100 emitter. I think that there will be enough room by observing the pictures of the spare parts for it. It seems like the end cap can be shortened a little, along with the spring. Then there may be enough room for the micro pick to be shoved in there (maybe with the edges chamfered with a hobby knife). Finally, I will try to cut out a small round heatsink to fit in the battery tube to transfer some of the heat from the Rebel. I do not have a lathe, but I do have some random pieces of aluminum and copper (some round bars) that I can trim and file by hand :green:.

Anyway, since you guys own one of these lights, what is the stock reflector like? Is it any good if the hole is widened for an LED? Can anyone measure the diameter of this reflector, and possibly how deep it is (its height)? I would greatly appreciate it! Maybe I can find a reflector somewhere else that can fit in there that will work good for an LED.

It would be cool to get some decent light from a Mini-mag AAA, even though little light can also be desired. I was hoping someone has tried something like this before. The concept of having the Micro-puck, heatsink, Rebel 0100, and reflector sandwiched in there seems simple. Lets see how it works out when I get the extra time... :candle:

Runtime shouldn't be too bad. The normal micro-puck will be drawing around 365mA on Alkalines and 456mA on NiMH batteries, and the SHO version would draw 533mA from Alkalines and 667mA from NiMH batteries. Hopefully the batteries hold up, and things don't get too hot.

-Tony

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Gryloc,

The reflector is about what you'd expect. size wise it's about half way between a AA minimag and a solitare. I'll try to take some measurements and post them.

Does anybody know how much current a TLE-20 is rated for? I was thinking about doing a rebel swap.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I always have liked the 2xAAA Minimag form factor but LED upgrades have been few and far between. I've looked around and there haven't been many mods either over the years as apparently the design is not really well suited to it. FWIW the best upgrade I found was the old super MJLED direct replacement with a new reflector - not a barn burner but usable light and a very long runtime for a 2xAAA setup.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put an SMJLED in my old fav 2 AAA Minimag and it got considerably more light and about 30 hours runtime on a set of batteries. That is a considerable improvement and makes for a very nice small light for indoor use. Throws plenty of light for a dark room and lasts a long long time. I think it was definitly worthwile and gave the old light new life, it would make a great emergency blackout light.

Gryloc

Enlightened
copierguy_mobile,

Were you able to take some measurements of the reflector? From the Mag website, I seen an exploded view of all the parts of the MiniMag 2AAA and I was able to take some estimates from that picture. By comparing the pixel size of each part (pretty rough to do so accurately with a low resolution picture) with the actual measurements made by Mag of the body diameter and head diameter, I was able to come up with some numbers. I concluded that the reflector's diameter would be between 15m and 16mm, and the depth of the reflector would be between 9mm and 10mm. This range is still with something like a 80% of what it could be in reality.

I am guessing that a cut down IMS 17mm reflector may work. The beam quality of one of these mated with a Rebel, to me, looks like poo. However, The Sandwich Shoppe has 16mm and 17mm reflectors made for the old Luxeon, the Seoul P4, and a Cree XR-E. One of those should work out. I would still have to cut one down, though. On the bright side, I hear that McGizmo may make a McR-15R reflector: a 15mm reflector made for the Rebel LED. It has the same parabolic curve as the currently available McR-10R, but just expanded and made with a wider diameter. When (or if) he would begin producing this reflector, I will be set!

I guess if this project will be too difficult, I will have to try a tri-Rebel Maglite 2AA instead. :grin2: I can dream cant I? Boy, that tri-mag would not be easy, though...

-Tony

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I was thinking about adding a micro-puck (the 350mA version), or possibly the SHO version (500mA), with a Luxeon Rebel 0100 emitter. I think that there will be enough room by observing the pictures of the spare parts for it. It seems like the end cap can be shortened a little, along with the spring. Then there may be enough room for the micro pick to be shoved in there (maybe with the edges chamfered with a hobby knife). Finally, I will try to cut out a small round heatsink to fit in the battery tube to transfer some of the heat from the Rebel. I do not have a lathe, but I do have some random pieces of aluminum and copper (some round bars) that I can trim and file by hand :green:.

Anyway, since you guys own one of these lights, what is the stock reflector like? Is it any good if the hole is widened for an LED? Can anyone measure the diameter of this reflector, and possibly how deep it is (its height)? I would greatly appreciate it! Maybe I can find a reflector somewhere else that can fit in there that will work good for an LED.

It would be cool to get some decent light from a Mini-mag AAA, even though little light can also be desired. I was hoping someone has tried something like this before. The concept of having the Micro-puck, heatsink, Rebel 0100, and reflector sandwiched in there seems simple. Lets see how it works out when I get the extra time... :candle:

Runtime shouldn't be too bad. The normal micro-puck will be drawing around 365mA on Alkalines and 456mA on NiMH batteries, and the SHO version would draw 533mA from Alkalines and 667mA from NiMH batteries. Hopefully the batteries hold up, and things don't get too hot.

-Tony

A micropuck in a 2xAAA? Would that fit? I looked at the DX & Kai drivers, but the smallest they have is ~14mm - AA size. If you're really brave, you could try 2 li-ion with a 5,6, or 7.4 bi-pin bulb. I wouldn't use it for long stretches with a plastic reflector :)

PS - Bearcat?

Gatsby

Enlightened
Yep - I bought mine from Lambda but it looks like they are now in the Shoppe. It really is a worthwhile upgrade and makes it a very usable light along the lines of an Arc AAA with a brighter beam and much longer runtime. Except for pocket/key carry where the AAA size battery really comes into it's own the 2xAAA form hasn't been terribly popular relative to the much higher capacity 2xAA. Nevertheless I like the slimmer profile and realize there is a performance tradeoff.

I think taht LES_ASAP did a 2xAAA minimag mod some time ago with a Lux I IIRC - while it was quite bright if I remember the light didn't run very long and overall the results were a bit disappointing. Too bad there isn't a 3V version of the Solitaire mod for the AAA.

So if you have one lying around I think the SMJLED is the best upgrade choice that will give you a good bit more light than the stock bulb, much longer runtime. I don't know how it compares to the TLE-20 - but I've avoided that drop in due to the reports of a very yellow/green beam.

If you really like the 2xAAA format the best choice in that very limited market would be the Peak Pacific with the 2xAAA body - a very nice light, very well made and a very efficient driver in what seems to be an underrated light.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
I

-Tony

I have an minimag AAA modded to direct drive a frosted green led. I drilled out the reflector to fit a 5mm I had on hand. With an CREE or Lux, most of the light is out the front, so the reflector may not make much of a difference. With the 5mm, the pattern was full of artifacts, so I roughed it up with a dremel.

Here are the dimensions - they're not precise, since I used a ruler.
Width - between 16 and 17 mm
Depth - 8mm? hard to eyeball it.

If you need something more precise, let me know and I'll embarrass myself with a slide caliper at home.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
copierguy_mobile,

Were you able to take some measurements of the reflector? From the Mag website, I seen an exploded view of all the parts of the MiniMag 2AAA and I was able to take some estimates from that picture. By comparing the pixel size of each part (pretty rough to do so accurately with a low resolution picture) with the actual measurements made by Mag of the body diameter and head diameter, I was able to come up with some numbers. I concluded that the reflector's diameter would be between 15m and 16mm, and the depth of the reflector would be between 9mm and 10mm. This range is still with something like a 80% of what it could be in reality.

I am guessing that a cut down IMS 17mm reflector may work. The beam quality of one of these mated with a Rebel, to me, looks like poo. However, The Sandwich Shoppe has 16mm and 17mm reflectors made for the old Luxeon, the Seoul P4, and a Cree XR-E. One of those should work out. I would still have to cut one down, though. On the bright side, I hear that McGizmo may make a McR-15R reflector: a 15mm reflector made for the Rebel LED. It has the same parabolic curve as the currently available McR-10R, but just expanded and made with a wider diameter. When (or if) he would begin producing this reflector, I will be set!

I guess if this project will be too difficult, I will have to try a tri-Rebel Maglite 2AA instead. :grin2: I can dream cant I? Boy, that tri-mag would not be easy, though...

-Tony

Tony, I'm sorry I havn't gotten back to this thread. I've haven't been home (where my AAA Mag is) in a few days. As soon as I get my hands on it, I'll post those numbers.

-Greg