~ Fenix L2D v Mad Cyclist [incident] !!! ~

Safety1st

Enlightened
I've just got back from walking my dog on the fields/woods near my home...

It's starting to get dark, and visibility was going...

In the distance, I could hear some voices coming quickly towards me..and realised that it was a group of youths on mountain bikes.... They weren't enthusiasts, but simply chav/yobs. The sort that race about the shopping mall, frightening old ladies.

No lights, really riding fast, jumping over small mounds of earth towards me and my dog.

She, as you know is a 5 month old German Shepherd. She was about 50 metres from me and I shouted a recall, which she immediately reacted to and ran straight back to me..(Phew, the benefits of early training)...

Well the cyclists continued towards us, and the area of grass which Xena and I were now standing still on....There was plenty of space to give us a wide berth, or time to slow down, but they did neither.

They raced towards us shouting and 'whooooo' ing. They were male about 16-17 years old, and were obviously going to try to scare/intimidate us...

Xena alerted to them and stood her ground..but I wasn't really needing her and besides, it's a bit early to start with her defensive training.

So, with my hand already on my Fenix L2D, I whipped it out and blasted the lead rider with the turbo light. He was about 20 metres from me, and the 135lumen beam hit him nicely in the face illuminating his vacant expression....

"Aaaargh" he exclaimed and swerved wildly to the left, well away from us...in the route he SHOULD have taken originally. The other two, who were riding behind, decided that they didn't want any of the same and also veered properly around us...

They rode off into the distance, cussing and swearing...but obviously embarrassed that their plan to spook Mr Average and his dog hadn't worked...

I'm sure I caught a grin on my dog's face :)

I like it when such anti-social yobbos get their comeuppence.. :popcorn:

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Its good to hear that your light caught them of guard. I think if you put the strobing Turbo you might have made one of them crash or get off their bike. I am an avid Mountain Biker and theres nothing worse than a bad apple representing the rest of the good apples. Of course I am a little older than 16 but age doesnt really matter its the darn apple. I would have love to seen if you hit them with a SureFire M6 with the 500 lumen bulb in. They would probably have seen spots for a while. :D

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Reminds me of an incident a few years ago.

I always back into the driveway, leaving my head lights pointed out to the street. Late one night, I hear bunches of footsteps out front. The house is dark, so I make my way to blinds and have a look. I see several people-sized shadows moving around, but I can't make out more than shapes. I remember that my alarm remote has a button to activate the headlights for 30 seconds - which I quickly press. Lit up in the driveway are a dozen very startled (and remarkably composed) armed and uniformed men, who quickly look at each other and then shout "Police, open up!"

As I apologize for blinding them, they check IDs and explain who they are after. We had recently turned off a 20 year old phone number. The new owners did something bad and the database still had our address...

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
Lol your a braver man than I am Gary but then again you are a cop. :)

Great story. :popcorn: