100Watt, 5000 - 7000lm LED w/specs

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's pretty obviously an LED array. And it would need a pretty fair heat sink -- you need to get rid of something like 80 watts, or maybe more.

c_c

GilmoreD

Newly Enlightened
Info I got from the manufacturer:
We are pleased to advies you that we can supply 100W LED with 1 LED diode.
That's to say, we can provide high power LED with 100W output power.
But to be honest, It needs great heat sink design, the luminous flux of 100Watt LED can reach to 10000lm.
we enclose the datasheet of 100W LED for your reference.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Info I got from the manufacturer:
We are pleased to advies you that we can supply 100W LED with 1 LED diode.
That's to say, we can provide high power LED with 100W output power.
But to be honest, It needs great heat sink design, the luminous flux of 100Watt LED can reach to 10000lm.
we enclose the datasheet of 100W LED for your reference.
Well, I guess you can put 20 diodes in series and call it a single "diode". Marketing departments have certainly been much more creative than that. But if it's a single junction (which is what I call a "diode"), I'd sure be interested in hearing from a physicist who can explain how you can make one with a 70 volt forward voltage.

c_c

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
S1003211346.jpg

100W led
* IF: 3.5A
* Forward voltage: 36V
* Angle available: 140 degrees
* Power: 100W
* Luminous flux: 9,000lm
* Color: white

:rock:

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Well, I guess you can put 20 diodes in series and call it a single "diode". Marketing departments have certainly been much more creative than that. But if it's a single junction (which is what I call a "diode"), I'd sure be interested in hearing from a physicist who can explain how you can make one with a 70 volt forward voltage.

c_c

From the picture and datasheet, it looks as if it's 20 junctions - not clear if they are separate dies bonded to a carrier or all fabricated on the same substrate. As you noted, at 1.4A and 70V, they are series connected. So the marketeers aren't lying too badly - it's one diode in terms of the assembly even if it's 20 diodes in semiconductor terms.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a DeWalt "36 volt" flashlight with the A123 Systems battery. Although it is actually 32 volts, I wonder if I could pull the bulb out and replace it with a giant copper heat sink. Put three 80mm fans on the giant sink and direct drive it from 32 volts nominal?

Figure it would pull about 3 amps at 32 volts which would give me 40 minutes of runtime. Then there are questions about focusing the giant and if a large aspheric lens can be used to put a spot on the moon.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX sell a 50W LED chip (#5766) that takes 20v @2.5A and claims 1700 Lm.

Don't know how big a heatsink you'd need.

But what these things do show is that practical LED lighting for the home isn't too far away.

jrv

Newly Enlightened
A single 18650 can deliver about 8 watt-hours of power, so a dozen would run this for an hour or so. :eek:

I wonder what sort of reflector would be needed, and just how practical achieving their lumens claim really is. If they have a bunch of diodes on one die are some "shining" on each other or is all of that being emitted off-chip? Is that calculated or measured bulb lumens?

This is generating 80w-90w of heat. The body is going to have to be big just to avoid burning the user! And the batteries must be shielded from that too, especially if there are a dozen bombs, er, 18650s involved. Even the bigger handheld HIDs don't have to deal with more than 45w of heat.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A123 Systems "nano-technology" batteries would have no problem with the 3.5 amp load...those batteries would laugh at that LED. The motor used in the DeWalt 36V drills will develop one horsepower (746 watts) peak so 100 watts is not a problem. The cells are used in RC airplanes and such and will push 30+ amps without much of a voltage drop.

The other bonus is the cells won't explode even if you drive a nail through the cell. Who wants to send me a sample so I can direct drive the LED from the 32 volt nominal cell? :)

jrv

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't referring to the load but rather the runtime problem. Even if you'll accept only 15 minutes that's 25 watt-hours that has to come from *somewhere*