C-LE vs L1D CE

Gaffle

Enlightened
I am kind of torn right about now. It takes a lot for me to purchase a light. I am not one of those DX regulars (no offense). Here I am really wanting the C-LE v2 when it comes out. But....there is also the L1D CE that has more output, and the option of buying a 2aa body to fit the head (which is a really nice option).

C-LE (knowledge I have by reading)

1. Great build/finish. Yeah yeah the older C-LE had some thread issues but I think that will be fixed with the new version. I feel like I could beat up the C-LE without getting worried.

2. Using NiMH the C-LE has a pretty flat dispersion curve. Flat enough to make me happy. I like using them there NiMHs so that is a plus.

3. Still a small package that makes my PP 4AA Lux (that I am kind of EDCing) look like a giant.

4. The new C-LE will cost about $20 less than the L1D. Oh snap, definitely something I must consider.

Alrighty then, how about the L1D CE?

1. More output than the C-LE. *I still need to find out the real comparisons between these lights regarding the output. I trust the figures Fenix has on their site, I don't really know the C-LE figures*

2. That swap the head/body option is wicked nice. Easy way to make that L1D a monster by adding the 2AA body. But I do find the 2AA Fenix body kind of lame with that thin spot right in the middle. It seems kind of flimsy to me. I have not handled one yet, just an observation.

3. Again, NiMH makes this light run great. I love NiMH!!

One issue I find myself coming back to is the build quality of the Fenix. Will it stand all kinds of whacks and drops? I don't intend on throwing these at the cement, but if it is for everyday use it must be able to get beat up.

Someone, HALP!!!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: CL-E vs L1D CE

Truth is, you'd probably be happy with either.

The Fenix head is more versatile, with the ability to run on 2AA in L2D mode, or with one 14500 in L1D mode (although the later option is not recommended by Fenix, it seems to be fairly safe since the same head is used with CR123A in the P2D). The circuitry is also more efficient in terms of output/runtime, and no PWM to worry about (although I find the >300Hz freq of the newer C-LEs perfectly acceptable). And I'd say the build quality is a notch higher on the Fenix (closer to the JB MkII series in quality).

But if that doesn't matter to you, the C-LE is good light - and appropriately priced, IMO.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened

One issue about the CL-E is that it has a nub for the negative contact. I don't like the dent on the battery, so that was an absolute no go for me. If that's changed, I'd be interested. I do like the L1D (would go for the Rebel for a smoother beam). I think the Fenix lights are in general fairly robust, but can't compare to a CL-E.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both a Fenix L1D and a Jetbeam CL-E v 1.2 (actually two of them). You have already taken into account the important points and of course it's your decision.
I want to add only one thing: CL-E feels better in your hand because of the nice surface finish while L1D has the usual slippery Fenix surface. Consequently L1D is always in a drawer and CL-E in my pocket....:naughty:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, that's a tough one. The good thing about this decision is that I honestly think you will be happy with either light.

I have the L2D-CE, and it IS a wonderful light. I too thought the slender middle looked odd at first, but after soooooo many positive reviews I went ahead and got one...... and I ended up wrapping a piece of bicycle tire inner tube around the middle for better grip anyway.... but I REALLY like the UI of this light, and the beam quality, and the run time. I think the L1D would make a killer pocket light.

However, I also have the JetBeam C-LE (v.1), and it's been in my pocket every day for 6 months...... so...... I obviously like it. Actually, I like enough that when I got a NovaTac 120P I decided to keep carrying the C-LE (in addition to the 120P) because I like the 1xAA form factor... and it's small enough to not be a bother.

So, my only thought in a race this close... is that you can save $20 by getting the C-LE..... heck.... that's practically another whole light down the line when LEDs become even better..... soooooo.........now follow me here........ instead of getting the L1D-CE and the 2xAA battery tube, which would be around $70..... get the C-LE and the L2D-CE for about $80 and have 2 complete lights. :)

Luminescent

Enlightened

One issue about the CL-E is that it has a nub for the negative contact. I don't like the dent on the battery, so that was an absolute no go for me. If that's changed, I'd be interested. I do like the L1D (would go for the Rebel for a smoother beam). I think the Fenix lights are in general fairly robust, but can't compare to a CL-E.

The new C-LE v2 is a clicky so it will have a standard spring type negative contact in the tail cap like every other clicky light.

I suspect that the C-LE v2 price may drop down a few dollars when Emilions starts to sell them with the CPF discount (assuming that they do).

I personally think that the current Rebel 80 lights from Fenix are a total rip-off because they are screwing you out of an additional 25 percent output by not using the Rebel 100. Sure for a FEW lights you can order a 'premium' model Rebel-100 at an inflated price, but I think the 'premium' lights are another total rip-off, because the price Fenix has to pay for the bare Rebel 100 emitters is on a par with what they used to have to pay for P4's some time back, so there isn't any reason for this 'premium' crap except Fenix's GREED . At $4.40 in quantity the Rebel 100 emitter itself would cost less than 1/10 the retail price of the light, so they could easliy be using Rebel-100's in EVERY light but they chose to play these stupid cutesey 'premium' games.

My guess is that when the word gets around that the Rebel-80 Fenix lights are a rip-off that are not worth bothering with, Fenix will be forced to replace the Rebel-80 series with Rebe-100 based lights AT THE SAME COST.

If Fenix does not make this change, well that's fine, I don't need a L1D sooooo bad that I am willing to get ripped off.

So I plan to get the JETBeam C-LE v2 and WAIT on the Fenix (personally if the C-LE v2 is as good as it looks, I will probably wait FOREVER, because this Rebel-80/Rebel-100 crap has soured me on Fenix).

By the way everyone, the correct name is "C-LE" NOT "CL-E", I would not even mention this minor issue, but it makes it harder to search threads if the name is not consistent. Think of it as CREE - Limited Edition.

Here is the thread to the C-LE v2

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=169263

Last edited:

FIFO

Newly Enlightened

Well, I prefer to use a lithium rechargeable battery because it gives more output, which the CLE can not provide

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast

*I still need to find out the real comparisons between these lights regarding the output. I trust the figures Fenix has on their site, I don't really know the CL-E figures*
I got one of the first C-LE lights. A measurement of its total light output using a Quickbeam type box was 2600. (I won't translate to approximate lumens because it's surely less than everyone wants to believe, and I can't support it with any reliable reference.) My L1D CE measured 4300 with the same setup. So the L1D CE puts out about 65% more total light.

I don't have a lux measurement for the L1D CE, but it would be about the same in proportion to the C-LE if the beam patterns are about the same.

I was disappointed with the C-LE and sold it. But I was looking for a light with considerable throw for its size, and the C-LE isn't it. A lot of people love it for its other attributes. I don't know anything about the 2.0 and how it might differ from the early C-LE I had.

c_c

Gaffle

Enlightened

I got one of the first C-LE lights. A measurement of its total light output using a Quickbeam type box was 2600. (I won't translate to approximate lumens because it's surely less than everyone wants to believe, and I can't support it with any reliable reference.) My L1D CE measured 4300 with the same setup. So the L1D CE puts out about 65% more total light.

This is what I don't get. L1D CE states that its high (not turbo) is 80 lumens. I trust Fenix when it comes to their ratings. Well C-LE high is going to be 90 lumens (from the marketplace post). If the L1D has so much more output than the C-LE there must be some figures that are off. Either the L1D is putting out more than stated, or the C-LE is putting out less than stated (lumen wise, or correct me if I am way off). Which is it???:ohgeez:I could also be an idiot because I have not crossed into the "lux" domain. I still happen to be a "lumen" kind of guy. Gimme a break.

BTW, I am not getting fancy in my observations. I am pretty much looking at the review that Selfbuilt did with the C-LE, Rex, L1D CE, etc...

Derek Dean said:
So, my only thought in a race this close... is that you can save $20 by getting the C-LE..... heck.... that's practically another whole light down the line when LEDs become even better..... soooooo.........now follow me here........ instead of getting the L1D-CE and the 2xAA battery tube, which would be around $70..... get the C-LE and the L2D-CE for about $80 and have 2 complete lights. :)

Now that, I must say, is some damn good advice.

phosphor

Enlightened
I personally think that the current Rebel 80 lights from Fenix are a total rip-off because they are screwing you out of an additional 25 percent output by not using the Rebel 100. Sure for a FEW lights you can order a 'premium' model Rebel-100 at an inflated price, but I think the 'premium' lights are another total rip-off, because the price Fenix has to pay for the bare Rebel 100 emitters is on a par with what they used to have to pay for P4's some time back, so there isn't any reason for this 'premium' crap except Fenix's GREED . At $4.40 in quantity the Rebel 100 emitter itself would cost less than 1/10 the retail price of the light, so they could easliy be using Rebel-100's in EVERY light but they chose to play these stupid cutesey 'premium' games.

My guess is that when the word gets around that the Rebel-80 Fenix lights are a rip-off that are not worth bothering with, Fenix will be forced to replace the Rebel-80 series with Rebe-100 based lights AT THE SAME COST.

If Fenix does not make this change, well that's fine, I don't need a L1D sooooo bad that I am willing to get ripped off.
........please tell us again how you really feel about Fenix using the Rebel 80.....and don't hold back this time ! :grin2:

- regards

katx

Newly Enlightened
........please tell us again how you really feel about Fenix using the Rebel 80.....and don't hold back this time ! :grin2:

- regards

This forum should be renamed FenixPower Forums.

- Person A attacks/criticizes Fenix (lights).
- Person B attacks/criticizes person A.

This is simply a bad form. (BTW the above exchange actually is not that bad. In fact in a way it is kinda funny and amusing. I am mostly referring to other exchanges. When I attacked/criticized Fenix's UI, I was told by a regular Fenix-trooper that I am not competent enough to be trusted with handling a flashlight.)

The whole purpose of these forums is for people to exchange ideas/opinions. If one disagrees with what another says, let's attack/criticize what they say and not attack the person who says it.

Like the other poster who said he soured on Fenix based on one issue, I admit that I soured on Fenix partly (I SAID PARTLY!) because of the way Fenix-troopers have attacked people who have criticized Fenix. With "friends" like these, Fenix does not need any enemies.

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
BTW the above exchange actually is not that bad. In fact in a way it is kinda funny and amusing. I am mostly referring to other exchanges..............The whole purpose of these forums is for people to exchange ideas/opinions. If one disagrees with what another says, let's attack/criticize what they say and not attack the person who says it.
...I couldn't agree with you more....and glad you saw my light-hearted attempt at humor as such. Certainly you, Luminescent, and everyone here on the forums should be entitled to express his/her opinion without ridicule or criticism.

- cheers to all !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

This is what I don't get. L1D CE states that its high (not turbo) is 80 lumens. I trust Fenix when it comes to their ratings. Well C-LE high is going to be 90 lumens (from the marketplace post). If the L1D has so much more output than the C-LE there must be some figures that are off. Either the L1D is putting out more than stated, or the C-LE is putting out less than stated (lumen wise, or correct me if I am way off). Which is it???:ohgeez:I could also be an idiot because I have not crossed into the "lux" domain. I still happen to be a "lumen" kind of guy. Gimme a break.
You're not crazy ... the issue is that neither manufacturer actually tests the lumens out the front of their lights.

The original C-LE specs said 80 lumens on Hi as well, which was a bit optimistic I think. If you look at my original multi-AA thread, you'll see the initial output numbers on NiMH are pretty close (i.e. C-LE v1 was 36, v1.2 was 37, and L1DCE P4 was 39, on my output scale). But that's just initial output - the C-LEs dropped off faster than the L1DCE, which is better regulated.

As for the newer lights, I expect both Jetbeam and Fenix's latest offerings to be a bit brighter. In practical terms its not likely to be a huge difference, although Fenix typically still edges out the competition for output/runtime efficiency. I'm still waiting on Rebel versions of these lights to see how they compare ...

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, I am not getting fancy in my observations. I am pretty much looking at the review that Selfbuilt did with the C-LE, Rex, L1D CE, etc...

Now that, I must say, is some damn good advice.
**Gasp** No! Surely you don't mean. . . *shudder* that some companies. . . *egad*. . .inflate their lumen claims!

c_c

katx

Newly Enlightened
...I couldn't agree with you more....and glad you saw my light-hearted attempt at humor as such. Certainly you, Luminescent, and everyone here on the forums should be entitled to express his/her opinion without ridicule or criticism.

- cheers to all !

Amen!

Gaffle

Enlightened
I just want something that is brighter than my propoly lux. One AA would be nice with these new emitters. I was hoping that the C-LE would have a "medium" that is just as bright as my propoly.

The only good flashlight I have right now is the propoly. The new light will have to be smaller, and brighter.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I just want something that is brighter than my propoly lux. One AA would be nice with these new emitters. I was hoping that the C-LE would have a "medium" that is just as bright as my propoly.

The C-LE won't be as brignt on medium as the ProPoly. The lights have a different character, too. The ProPoly has a deep reflector geared for great throw. The C-LE has a nice spot but lots of spill, too.

If you prefer lots of throw and an intense hotspot, look toward the Rebels. An orangepeel reflector will smooth the beam and give more spill and a bit less throw.

Last edited: