Can I put a CREE XRE-Q5 in energizer 3.6V rechargeable?

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Would anyone know if I could put a 3W CREE XR-E-Q5 into an energizer rechargeable 1Watt light? The battery is a 3.6V nimh pack.
I am new at the star type leds, do we have to wire the LED to the pads or are there traces already there?
Maybe someone knows of a regulated module instead if that would be better?
They typical VF was stated at 3.7V for the XRE q5, but I am thinking the newly charged 3.6V pack might blow the LED?:poof:
I want to make a superbright rechargeable.
Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The star mounted LEDs have positive and negative traces already wired so it is easier to solder.

I think there was a thread about this light not long ago. Here it is!

Do you have a picture of the insides of the light?

The 3.6V(I'm guessing about 4v off the charger) of the battery should be fine of the light has a resistor or a regulator in it. If not, the LED might draw too much power and might damage the battery pack and the LED.

How about a 18650 3.7v lithium ion rechargeable powered light. They are usually around Minimag length with a thicker body and head.

Welcome to CPF!

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
I have taken most of it apart, and it appears that there is at least a resistor inside, so I think the CREE may not blow up. I am a little afraid of breaking the tiny circuit board inside. Here is the NIMH battery pack, 3.6V The charger is a 4.2V switcher 300ma.
Is there a good way to insert pictures?? I have taken some, but cannot post attachments it seems. Also, I think I will buy a CREE XRE-Q5 (or is something better here?) and try to retrofit.
Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You have to upload the pictures on a hosting site, the insert the link after pressing the
insertimage.gif
button.

Circuit? there is no circuit on the Cree star, just a phosphor coated diode and conductive metal and ceramic. If you mean on the rechargeable flashlight, then I'm not sure.

stephan2148

Newly Enlightened
I asked Kaidomain for reccomendations, and got this:

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2663

- 3.7V typical driving voltage
- Manufacturer Rated 228 Lumens at 1000mA input current:
*350mA: 107~114lm
* 700mA: 171.2~182.4lm
*1000mA: 214 ~ 228lm

I see though that my LED voltage (which is lumileds 1W to start with) is 3.2V measured, while the batteries are at 4.2V full charge. Current is 133mA.
The pcb I mentioned is in the light. I have to pull it out if possible to see what is in there. If only a resistor, then I need to change something.
Reccomendations for some type of dc-dc, or other configuration are welcomed. The light is nice since it's rechargeable, so if I can find a sweet spot and a nice LED, it will be great. $20 at Target initially.
Thanks.