Is this a never-ending hobby/obsession?

lightwave1209

Newly Enlightened
As light technology improves, and it seems to improve at a faster rate, will we be buying more and more lights?

I find myself lusting for way too much.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is never ending because there will always be something down the road that is better, brighter, more efficient etc. that CPFer will not be able to resist.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Simply buy yer'self a couple of nice flashlights . . . .

And then go out and USE 'em !

Be happy with the fact that you have better flashlights than 99.99% of the world's population.

Oh, i almost forgot the last step . . . .

(very important to follow this instruction)

And never, EVER log-on to CandlePowerForums again.

:wave:

_

Brozneo

Enlightened
Yes I've found it's a never ending cycle.... It may slow down at times, but it always starts to build up again!!!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I honestly think we are in the middle of a technology revolution.

Particularly since high-brightness LEDs were invented, we have seen, in rapid succession, the advent of LED torches, then multi-LED torches, then showerheads, then Luxeons, Crees and the rest.

It won't go on forever - if you think back over the last century, history suggests it will plateau.

I think what we will see in the years to come are the off-the-shelf torches we are buying enter the mainstream - indeed we are just starting to see that already.

CPF-ers will always be finding new hotwires, LED mods and what's new, but right now will soon be seen as a golden age.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

faco

Enlightened
yep.............never-ending
yep.............obsessed
yep.............I will be buying more and more lights :)

it doesn't matter if you buy nice/better flashlights (as Burgess said), if you are reading this thread you are hooked :nana:

GregWormald

Enlightened
Nonsense, I'm not hooked. It's been positively weeks since I bought a flashlight! (And I'm only just now starting to sweat.)
Greg
I am not an addict--I just like them.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes....I have found as well that my FPPT (Flashlight Purchase Pain Threshold--that level of monetary exchange for a "light" which precipitates financial and spousal discomfort) has risen dramatically and that my NTPFRA (Need To Purchase Flashlight-Related "Accessories"--cases, batteries, flashlight carrying apparatus, etc) has risen measurably as well. :eek::broke: My therapist has told me I am not alone.....but I am not so sure....that's why I am here....I believe...:thinking:

Karl

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL Karl, I'm not surprised your spousal pain is pretty severe at the moment - didn't I read somewhere that you have just acquired a MaxaBeam???

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Close, a "Barn Burner"--and that just on the heels of a Mr. Bulk "Dragon"! Lordy, if SOMEONE here finds out, something of mine is gonna be draggin'!!!:crackup:

Karl

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
So what...I've spent $150.00 three weeks ago, $160.00 last week, and I've got three other lights coming in from Elektrolumens and MillerMods.

I don't see a problem here. I can quit at anytime!

Gatsby

Enlightened
I think that it does ebb and flow some. I didn't buy a flashlight for well over a year after I bought a bunch of things, figured out what really worked for me day to day, and settled on 4 flashlights (not including old D mags). That has only been mildly disrupted by the Cree/Seoul/Rebel introductions which have had me thinking about new lights or modding some old lights. But I'm still pretty happy with my Streamlight Strion (high power, full spectrum and "free" lumens), HDS EDC B42 (covers most bases other than EDC pocket light since I wear business casual attire most days and it is a little big for dress pants pockets), Peak Pacific CR2 (EDC pocket carry) and a Photon microlight II as my last ditch keychain backup light.

These still serve me well and while I've been getting up to speed on the dizzying range of multi level lights on the market that are not my old standby Streamlight, Surefire, Arc, Peak, HDS, Inova lights - I haven't really figured out a deficiency in my current setup that has me chomping at the bit to buy something new.

But I have been seriously considering a Seoul upgrade for my HDS - which I still love but for a relatively small price I could get better than Novatac 80 performance and close to 120 performance for a lot less money. Oddly, the increased brightness on the lowest level, which I use a lot, is something of a disincentive for me moreso than the oomph of the max and primary levels. I would probably use secondary more, however, and would experience some real runtime gains...

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, this appears to be a logical USE of all your lights and some rationale and sanity in purchasing them!! I don't believe that your post is appropriate here--you seem to be on stable ground! ;)

Karl

beyonder

Banned
yes it is!

i recently purchased two rebel "stars" from ledynamics the off center version

is this company honorable?

does any one deal with them?

if this isnt the right forum direct me to it

im a newbie

but i am obsessed

i built my own tesla coil too big sparks!!!