Inova T2 (new model) gets warm?

zero

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just purchased an Inova T2 flashlight (new model with flared head, 5hour runtime). I'm not really sure what type of LED is in it but after about a min of use, the top third of the flashlight gets pretty warm. It looks like a Luxeon K2. It's not so hot that I can't hold it but it just feels warm. Is it suppose to be like this? I couldn't find anything with the search. This is my first real flashlight so I'm a noob. Thanks.

Last edited:

passive101

Enlightened
That means the heat sinks are working well. It needs to get the heat away from the LED or it harms it.

I have an Inova t2 - the old style and it gets a bit warm with continued use but not bad. I also use the TIROS type T1 as my every day carry light and it's fantastic (Though the T1 is usually just for short bursts of light)

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an INOVA T1(2007) and it also gets warm if left on a couple minutes or more.It should be a good thing as that means heat is being drawn away from the LED.If you are holding the light your body should help absorb the heat also.The INOVA T series currently use Luxeon K2 LEDs hopefully they will upgrade since Lumileds now has the Rebel and is supposedly upgrading their whole lineup of LEDs. :welcome:

zero

Newly Enlightened
Ah I see, thanks for the replies. I was worried since I've always thought LED's don't produce much heat compared to bulbs but I guess that only applies to 5mm ones.

I ordered a Fenix P1D-CE which hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait :). I'm also thinking of getting the L1T v2.0 Rebel for an everyday general light cuz it uses cheap AA batts. I like the tail cap clickie and the fact that it only has 2 modes, don't need the seizure... er, strobe or SOS modes.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ends on both my 2007 Inova T1 and T2 become warm after a few moments of use. The T1 becomes warm a little faster than the T2 but neither has become uncomfortably hot yet. I'm delighted with both, by the way.

I don't expect the 2007 T2 to provide 5 hours of bright light from a set of batteries because it draws 686 mA. The 2007 T1 draws 675 mA.

My 2006 TIROS T1 and XO2 stay cool.

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Ah I see, thanks for the replies. I was worried since I've always thought LED's don't produce much heat compared to bulbs but I guess that only applies to 5mm ones.

These big Luxeon/Cree/etc LED's put out quite a good deal of heat :) These aren't those little things lighting up the power button on your PC!

zero

Newly Enlightened
I also noticed that the emitter is not perfectly centered. When the light is 6in away from the wall I can see a dark spot but further away it's not noticeable. Is this common?

T2.jpg

T2_2.jpg

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Ok, seriously, guys aren't we just being a bit OCD here? Anyone? No?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wished Innova had
  • not changed to that "integrated reflector/front part"
  • made the T1 about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch longer
  • made the T2 with a wider body diameter, like the T1/T3 (that an 18650 could fit in)
  • built a better switch that is more rugged and could stand more power

why?
because then the T1 makes a much better modded light than the 6P I use now primarily - this sleek design with one diameter for all the length light, the knurling, the overall machining, thats all perfect - except the points above, the switch being the most disappointing one

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hope i not going off topic. but my Pelican M6 2330 (1 watt) & 2390 (3 watt) and Surefire E1L does get uncomfortably warm under 20mins of continuous use, well under.

perhaps i can't have the best of both worlds in terms of good throw & low heat loss on extended runtime? :shrug:

zero

Newly Enlightened
I should be getting my Fenix P1D-CE and L1T Rebel next week. I'll post some comparison pics when I do. I also wanna see how much heat the Fenix produces.

Last edited:

zero

Newly Enlightened
My Inova XO3 (2007 Version) gets hot!!! 15 minutes after putting in brand new batteries and you start thinking to yourself "is it suppose to get this hot?".

My T2 gets pretty warm after only a couple min but it also cools down really quick too :laughing:

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about you guys, but considering the physics at work here, I'd be much much MORE concerned if the body of the light ISN'T getting hot!

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
so how do i use my lights with an advertised regulated peak runtime of 1hr+ when it gets too hot to hold under 15 minutes? :thumbsdow

jdong

Newly Enlightened
I don't think they meant continuous use. Get a dimmer or multistage light if you intend on running it for really long times.

zero

Newly Enlightened
so how do i use my lights with an advertised regulated peak runtime of 1hr+ when it gets too hot to hold under 15 minutes? :thumbsdow

I've never used a flashlight that became too hot to hold after 15 min. Then again I've never used Pelican's before either. Have you tried sending Pelican an email?

passive101

Enlightened
The t2 should defiantly not get to warm to hold after 15 minutes. I used my first gen T2 working security and never had an issue with it inside or outside.

zero

Newly Enlightened
The t2 should defiantly not get to warm to hold after 15 minutes. I used my first gen T2 working security and never had an issue with it inside or outside.

Actually he was talking about his Pelican being too hot. :) My T2 gets warm but not too hot to hold.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first generation T2 and 2007 version T2 are completely different flashlights with different LEDs, optics, etc. They don't even look alike.

My 2007 gets warm, but it hasn't been a problem.