Help Me Decide

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for my first "real" LED flashlight since I be going on a field trip to another country.

I think I like the Fenix p3d (I like the multiple options like strobe, etc.)

I just looked into the LumaPower M1-R. That looks like to be a better light, but I have not see either so...I like how its a little bigger and looks more durable. I will not be carrying everyday, more for emergencies so I like it a little bigger.

Does the p3d have anti-roll in its design (by this I mean...if I lay it on the side on a table, will roll?). It looks like M1-R have this feature. Is the M1-R regulated in output?? What is this lights "low output" lumens? All the sites only advertise its 180 high lumen output.

What is a reverse click switch vs. a forward click switch???????

What are your opinions on these two? I am still trying to decide and might include more options later as I read up more.

Thanks for all your help. I didn't know buying a flashlight would be so tough. Back in the days...I just to Target and look at some Mag lights..:ohgeez:Being a Noob...I thought I would just get a Surefire. Good name, regulated output, durable. But the 80 lumens is just not enough for me.

Last edited:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you, but I have no knowledge of the lights that you are interested in.

If you are open to suggestions, you should list several criteria of what you want from the light, such as brightness, size, price range, runtime, battery type, number of cells, waterproof, finish, etc.

I would think you will get more responces this way. I would suggest the new Surefire L1 cree, if you just want one versatile all around light.:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the Olight T20 Q5(the normal T20 is a bit dimmer but also cheaper) is a good medium. It has the modes and the bigger body and anti roll design. the Q5 is also a bit better the the Rebel 100 performance wise.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for my first "real" LED flashlight since I be going on a field trip to another country.

I think I like the Fenix p3d (I like the multiple options like strobe, etc.)

I just looked into the LumaPower M1-R. That looks like to be a better light, but I have not see either so...I like how its a little bigger and looks more durable. I will not be carrying everyday, more for emergencies so I like it a little bigger.

Does the p3d have anti-roll in its design (by this I mean...if I lay it on the side on a table, will roll?). It looks like M1-R have this feature. Is the M1-R regulated in output?? What is this lights "low output" lumens? All the sites only advertise its 180 high lumen output.

What is a reverse click switch vs. a forward click switch???????

What are your opinions on these two? I am still trying to decide and might include more options later as I read up more.

Thanks for all your help. I didn't know buying a flashlight would be so tough. Back in the days...I just to Target and look at some Mag lights..:ohgeez:Being a Noob...I thought I would just get a Surefire. Good name, regulated output, durable. But the 80 lumens is just not enough for me.

The P3D does roll on flat surfaces.
Reverse Clickie - the light turns on when the button click cycle is completed i.e. when you release the button
Forward Clickie - the light turns on as you press down on the button.
I don't have either light but if you want a light for emergencies I suggest you make sure you have one with a low setting for longer runtimes. Also, lithiums batteries are your best choice for an emergncy light. Good luck finding what you are looking for!

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
The Olight sounds pretty good.

Just in general, how do the following lights rank in quality, craftsmanship, and durability:
a) Fenix p3d (rebel or Q5 when it comes out)
b) LumaPower M1-R
c) Olight T20 (Q5) --- Does this thing have a momentary on???

Thanks.

And on a forward click switch...does the light turns on as you press forward and stay on at that option upon clicking??

A reverse click switch...light does not turn on as you press forward, but upon push all the way till a click, the light will turn on????

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
the 80 lumen surefires ( G2L, 6PL) are really a LOT of light, and you can't beat the quality,warranty or price on those two.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Ranks for:
a) Fenix
b) LumaPower
c) Olight

I'm thinking I'll get a SureFire 6PL for a backup light (Since it seems people say metal body will disapate heat better and will be better for the LED). And I will get one of the above for general usage.

Thanks.

evanlocc

Enlightened
I'm looking for my first "real" LED flashlight since I be going on a field trip to another country....

Dont forget on the availability of the battery type on another country. Unless you have your own full supply.

For me, i will pick the P3D, backup on L2S(as i have its Went-On LOW for 6hrs (continuous) for 2 nights).

But try to get in similar battery type possible to your others electronic to be able to reuse of the battery for LED light or otherwise.

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Anyone care to rank the three companies???

Fenix
LumaPower
Olight

Thanks.:confused:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I be going on a field trip to another country.
I hope you know where to buy 123A cells in "another country" other than pay through the nose at a camera store.

All Fenix I know of will roll on a slanting surface. The M1-R has a big head so will roll in an arc. You need a light with a hexagonal outside surface for anti-roll protection.

Surefire owners that are happy stay with Surefire.
Fenix owners that are happy stay with Fenix.
Lumapower owners that are happy stay with Lumapower.
Olights are too new.

You won't find too many crossover owners.

manoloco

Enlightened
What activity are those more than 80 lumens for?

Depending on the brand you will see specs that differ between other brand models with same specs in real life.

some measure lumens at the emitter, some measure lumens out of the flashlight glass or lens.

like LEDninja said, in some countries 123a´s are tough to find, Peru, where i live being one, there are some photo stores that have it but they are expensive.

Im saving up for a new edc, torn between an L1 and a 120P, both use 123a so i need to get some cells too for it as well as some rcr123a (rechargeables) which is an option to have if you dont want to spend more than necessary in cells, but make sure you carry an autovoltage charger

So in my case its goint to set me back more than it seems, but i need the reliability of those models and the power/form factor ratio from 123a tough, so i need to research more and see where i can save some cash to pull that one.

if you go into a 3rd world country and plan on camping trekking, hiking, etc with a number of people, be careful with an attention grabbing flashlight, some locals could steal it if you leave it lying around carelessly.
I could say it might attract attention to your other belongings, but being a tourist already does that by itself, a flashlight as beautiful as it could be doesnt add much more to that.

Of course not everyone in a 3rd world country is like that there are many other good characteristics, but there are more people driven by need and lack of education, so take proper care of yourself.

Last edited:

neomedic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the input. I will be there only for 3 months (school) and back to the US so I'm not too worried about batteries. I figure I'll just carry extra batteries for the 3 months and enough batteries to run at lease 3 nights on the lowest setting.

So Olight is too new huh? I was actually really leaning towards the T-20 with Q5 LED. IF they are such a new kid on the block...I think I'll hold off.

Next one I'm leaning towards is LumaPower. I like how its bigger and it'll just sit in my dorm or in a backpack (so I'm not worry about the size). Its more of I want it something that will not break when I need it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Olight is too new huh? I was actually really leaning towards the T-20 with Q5 LED. IF they are such a new kid on the block...I think I'll hold off.
I have not seen many threads on the Olight so I assume it is fairly new. However the Olight is available from Battery Junction and owner MattK seems very picky as to what he carries. You will have to do your own searches on CPF.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Fenix was my first and I was happy with it, but I had to have more, and more, and more.......get one and start saving for the next:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Olight seems to be pretty good according the the reviews, here's one, It has more throw and a thicker body the the Fenix P3D-CE and has anti-roll designed into the body. The Q5 would be brighter then the normal Cree P4 T20.