Tigerlight...holy crap...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I managed to track one down, w/out the pepper spray contraption attached to the butt end. Very few times, have I said..."holy sh**!!!" when I first turned on a light, but this particular device made me say it...twice!!!

For those not familiar, the Tigerlight was originally designed around a flashlight, but with a O.C. cannister attached to the butt end. Very recently, Tigerlight came out with a non-O.C. version, which I have.

Brief details: It's about the size of a 2-D maglite, but is slightly wider. Weighs about a pound, and is contructed of aluminum. The switch is unique, in the it's a button (like a mag) but is positioned on the body of the light, approximately 1" from the butt end.

The lens assembly is almost identical to the Streamlight set-up, and even features the 2 pin/wire set-up seen on Streamlight Sl series lights. The NiMH pack appears to be constructed with 6 AA size cells, in a triangular fashion. They sit at the rear of the light, and are buffered by a thick rubbed spacer/grommet.

Initial testing showed the battery pack at 7.8 volts with no load, though this number doesn't equate to the number of cells in the pack...I'm looking into that.

The lamp pulls 1.85 amps at 7.19 volts, yielding a 13 watt bulb.

Lamp output is listed at 50,000 CP, but compared to my U.S., the tigerlight is brighter, and I would estimate the CP at 70,000 or so (subjective, of course) and the lumens at 300 or so, as it's brighter than all the SF's I own, including my M-4 w/MN60 (225Lu) LA.

The beam consists of a very hot spot with concentric coronas, but has some slight shading, but no significant dark spots.

Overall, a very well designed and well made light, with the few negatives being its shape, there are no carrying options (othern than via pocket) and the switch may need some familiarization.

--dan

K-T

*Moderator*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dano:
(...) as it's brighter than all the SF's I own, including my M-4 w/MN16 LA. (...)
--dan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean M3T with MN16 or M4 with MN61? M4 w/ MN16 won't work...well it does, but only for aprox. one second.
grin.gif

Nevertheless your observations are quite interesting. I would be interested in some beam pictures, too.

Klaus.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
dano --

What's the idea behind that butt-end button? It looks like it'd be a pain. How's it working out for you?

I couldn't tell where the button was on the models that had the pepper spray. Same place?

Thanks,

Joe

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited initial post...As for the switch, it seems to be a good idea, and it hasn't really hindered the light's usage. If you hold it like a SF (overhand grip), but instead of using your thumb to actuate the light, you use your index finger, which is in line with the switch.

Somethings I would change about this light: the lens seems soft, and seems like it would scratch easily, and the awkward size of the light may make carrying it somewhat awkward...But more time is needed...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If the batteries sit near the end, then that sounds like the ideal placement for the switch since the weight would be rear-biased.

But the UltraStinger with one charger can be had for around $80, so for $134 is the TigerLight that much brighter?

We want beamshots!