Surefire 9P long run time mods

rtt

Enlightened
I have an unmodified 9P roundie that is just gathering dust because of its short run time. I would perfer to NOT use rechargable batteries. I was was wondering if anyone has done a mod on a 9P that will provide long run time using primariy batteries? I think replacing the ican with led will be the way to go. I would be satisfied 15 to 30 lumens output but must have looooong runtime. This light will reside at my cabin and be used for in cabin use only. Any ideas???

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I would say just wait untill SF comes out with the drop in that they are using in G2L and 6PL....I believe it can take up to 9volts....

Daekar

Enlightened
I think if they're willing to go with that low a light level, then an incan is out of the question. LED is definitely the way to go. I'm not sure if there are any 9P-compatible LED dropins though... if you had a 6P you would have lots of multi-level options available to you. I guess you could always save yourself a battery and use a dummy cell with two regular ones and then use a multilevel LED dropin... I'm not sure, but I think the P60-compatible dropins should work.

mdhammack

Newly Enlightened
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2605

Got one of these in one of my 6p's.....tried it in the 9p just for grins, works like a charm. You have to pull the spring off though to fit into the surefires, it just pops off kinda like the spring in the tail of a maglite. It doesn't specify an output, but I would say around 80 lumens. Just guessing because it is brighter than my 6p incan, but not quite as bright as the 9p incan.

rtt

Enlightened
Thanks guys for the input:wave:. It seems like I will have to go with a led drop-in to get some more run time from my 9P. I also like the idea of using a dummy cell to save one battery (like a 6P) to give me more options as to the type of led drop-in I can use.

LiteFan

Enlightened
For the longest runtime I would check the runtime of the Surfire 6PL &G2L first, I think it's about 10 hours from 2 cells, 3 cells should be special. I understand that Surefire is going to sell the dropins later. Check Deal Extreme and Kiadomain for the cheapest prices (I would go this route especially if you plan to get the sf dropin later) Or just purchase a G2L

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using both a Surefire KL3 LED head and a Wolf Eyes Cree XR-E P4 LED 130 Lumen* 3.7V-13V D26 Bulb in two of my 9P's. The Wolf Eyes is much brighter.

The KL3 (found here and here) on three primary 123 cells (C3, D3, Z3, 9P) puts out 19.5 lumens max output for 7 hours, followed by 8 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

The Wolf Eyes with 2xCR123 batteries is 130 minutes with regulated output, 5 hours with unregulated output. With 3x123 in the 9P you should get 180 minutes regulated. This light is much brighter than the KL3.

For your stated needs, I would recommend the KL3.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Not trying to get the thread off track but just a thought, why not look at just buying a G2L rather than trying to modify your 9P. the cost of buying a drop in will be close to the same amount as buying a whole new light. That way you could have a light that will give you the runtime you desire and also another that can be used when you need some serious light.

NickDrak

Enlightened
Drop a Malkoff M60 CREE drop-in module into your 9P. This will give you well over 100 lumens out the front for 3+ hours. ROCK SOLID!!!

rtt

Enlightened
I am using both a Surefire KL3 LED head and a Wolf Eyes Cree XR-E P4 LED 130 Lumen* 3.7V-13V D26 Bulb in two of my 9P's. The Wolf Eyes is much brighter.

The KL3 (found here and here) on three primary 123 cells (C3, D3, Z3, 9P) puts out 19.5 lumens max output for 7 hours, followed by 8 hours of moderate output, followed by over 50 hours of minimum output.

The Wolf Eyes with 2xCR123 batteries is 130 minutes with regulated output, 5 hours with unregulated output. With 3x123 in the 9P you should get 180 minutes regulated. This light is much brighter than the KL3.

For your stated needs, I would recommend the KL3.

NotRegulated thanks for the tip! The KL3 seems to fit my needs. LOOOng run time and enough output for a cabin light when the electric goes off and still keeping everything a Surefire!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
rtt,
I know you asked for an LED bulb recommendation for your old 9P but KeeperSD's advice really makes sense.

You'd be able to then use the bulb from the G2L in your 9P too. You can get a P60 incandescent bulb for less than 15 dollars to also use in your G2, even less if you buy one used.

rtt

Enlightened
Yes, KeeperSD's advice does make sense! The cost of the KL3 head and the G2L are about the same. The 9P does throw a lot of light and could be used if required were a lot of throw is required. Going to sleep on all the great advice I have received! Thanks a bunch:grin2:

Windscale

Enlightened
The KL3s stated by rtt are second generation KL3s. I still use a first generation KL3. See http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

This is a Luxeon I LED. I use it with my 6P running on 17670. Runtime is really long. It has better spill but less throw compared to the second gen KL3 but still producing plenty of light. This would be ideal for your cabin.

The reason I am writing is that since the second gen came out many places have drop the prices of the first gen ones, some by over 50%. It would then be a bargain if you can find one. Personally I think runtime is most important, even at the expense of brightness. I have had experience of running out of batts once many years ago. And I swore that I shall never let this happen again.

With the money saved you can either buy another light as suggested by rtt and KeeperSD, or just leave things as they are.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a Wolf-Eyes 3.7-13V 4 mode drop in, since you want it for indoor use, and the WE has a low mode with much lower current draw than any other options I know of, and still plenty of usable light.

I'd think about a beam diffuser, for any and all of the recommended choices, too, since they all have pretty bright and tightly focused beams that will be horrible for indoor use(the WE drop in also has a focused spot, but the low beam should be fine without a diffuser since it has so much less output).