Should I Keep A SF L2?

Old Farmer

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a E2L to go with my E1L. Kinda need to sell the L2 to pay for the E2L. Should a man try and hold on to the L2? Does he need it if he has the E2L? I have sold knives, and wished I had not sold them. How do you tell if it is the old L2 or the new cree L2?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
:welcome:

There was never a new L2. They are all Luxeon V LEDs.

Do you have the Cree E1L or the Luxeon version.

You could also turn the light over to Milkyspit to be modded.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Well I'd say - yes - keep your L2.
I wouldn't have purchased an E1L. The E2L is okay. I'd get an L1 rather than E1L or E2L...
However, the L2 is still my EDC even though I have an E1L, E2L, and L1.

Al

who

Newly Enlightened
The L2 is a classic. I have kept buying newer L2 to get better Lux V bin, and give away the older one to friends and family members.
A newer L2 can easily put out 120 lumens (comparing to other similar claimed lights).

WDR65

Enlightened
I wouldn't sell it just yet. Though I have several cree lights including both the E2L and the L1 I still tend to come back to the Lux V lights for all around lighting. Compared to the E2L, the ability to switch between a general use beam and the "wall of light" beam with the L2 seems very useful to me. Even with a beamshaper, my E2L is not my ideal carry light. Instead it resides in my backpack when hunting or in my shaving kit while traveling for a long runtime, decent output light. While each has its purpose, I don't think there is another light that has replaced the L2 just yet.

DesertFox

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I would keep the L2. I have one of the new E1Ls and use it as my EDC. But, when I am going out at night and know I will need a light I still reach for the L2.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, money would have been better spent on a L1 Cree.

I EDC a L1 Cree, L2, and 10X (latter 2 being in my back pack.)

E1L and E2L if both the Cree models offer similar brightness (30 vs 45 I believe) with the E2L offering more run time. Sometimes too much light is worse than no light in my experiences/preference.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would keep the L2. I can't imagine ever parting with mine. It is such a useful light. On low, it's great for walking around the house at night, and on high....well it just lights up a whole room. Great for lighting up whatever is in front of you on night time walks also. Great output and runtime in a 2 cell light. Built like a tank. Great switch, and knurling that sticks to your hand. I would let any of my other lights go before I'd ever give up any of my Surefires. Keep it...