VoIP - Overseas and Calling Card confusion

Arkayne

Enlightened
Say my VoIP service charges $0.18/min to Asia and some calling card offers 60 mins for $4. Is it better to use the CC instead? I have a feeling it's not as easy as that.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Some calling cards have a "connection fee" - they work nicely if you talk for 60 minutes straight, but they're pretty worthless if you want to make a couple of phone calls. On top of that, sometimes the "connection fee" and/or the countdown on your card kicks in as soon as the phone starts ringing, etc. Read the fine print on your card for more details.

Would PC-to-PC Skype not work for you? Free. :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the areas where the immigrants from that country/region congregate and look for deals there... They are ridiculously cheap now to most countries.

One is so cheap, that when I called my wife overseas (Taiwan), that I used a card with two minutes left on it and I talked for 20-30 minutes--they did not even bother to disconnect the call when the money ran out.

However, does anyone think that there are governments and others handing out these cards so they can listen in on long distance calls (was a plot device in some recent Tom Clancy type novel)? I do not give any important information (back accounts, addresses, full names, ID numbers, etc.) when using these cards or even calling overseas (even calling with "the phone company--like AT&T) has been fair game for espionage (industrial and otherwise).

-Bill

greenstuffs

Banned
I have rocket voip i pay $25 monthly, i call all europe and 4 countries in asia Singapore, China, HK, Taiwan for free unlimited i call Europe and Asia quite often, other countries rates are lower than any phonecard i have seen. For $5 more you can even port the access portal to your cellphone so you can use your voip services to call overseas on the road, you can have several cellphones in 1 plan. I have even figured out to use myfaves plan of tmobile and set one of the numbers with the access portal to make domestic calls that way i have unlimited calls every month :D. I do use the phone a lot...
I too used to buy phonecards until VOIP came along now i will never go back specially with the access portal offered by www.rocketvoip.com , phone cards have maintenance fees, connection fees... the nominal rate of 1000 minutes only works when you make a single call otherwise your effective rate is about 20% or 30% less. Besides you are basically using voip.
Bottom line is if you make a lot of calls get VOIP if not get a phone card.

Last edited:

Arkayne

Enlightened
Good info ya'll.

My mom is a bit old and she couldn't figure out Skype no matter how many times I showed her. So using a calling card with a VoIP service will not add any extra charges to the $25/mo bill?