Please advise -- which light up to $120.00?

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
I have asked this in the regular incan forum, but would like to check on this side. My knowledge of LEDs is close to Zero.
FastCar and another member of CPF have inspired me to check into the LED world.

I will try not to make this too long winded.
Here is what I need:
As powerful light as I can afford (150 - 200 Lumens I hope). Also need to have as great a throw as possible, with just a little spill.
My situation is probably a little different than usual.
I will be walking 30-40 minutes after dark in the following two very different surroundings:
1] In the woods with dense bushes. Need the light to penetrate as far as possible to look out for the eyes glowing -- no joke.
2] Walking in the open where there is a very, very long wide trail. Need to see as far ahead as possible.

Any ideas?

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a thrower light, so can't speak from first-hand experience, but I have a feeling you are going to get the following recommedations:

Tiablo (A8, A9)
Dereelight (DBS)
Lumapower (MRV)

I believe all take 18650 batteries or CR123 primaries. Check the Flashlight Reviews section of this forum and Light-Reviews.com for addtl info on each model.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The best stock LED throwing light is the Tiablo A9(runs best on 2 CR123 or 2 RCR123) or Tiablo A8 Q5(Runs best on rechargeable 3.7 18650 batteries, these batteries are 18 mm wide, 65 mm long and round shaped).

Both lights run for at least 1 hour, both have about 1.5 hours runtime on high.

Review of the slightly dimmer Cree P4 version of the A8, notice that it wasn't totally dark and the light still hit 250 meters. More beam shots. As you can tell, the spill would be quite helpful if you do not want to trip over the root in front of you. No spill and it will be hard to navigate in a wooded environment.

Last edited:

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I have asked this in the regular incan forum, but would like to check on this side. My knowledge of LEDs is close to Zero.
FastCar and another member of CPF have inspired me to check into the LED world.

I will try not to make this too long winded.
Here is what I need:
As powerful light as I can afford (150 - 200 Lumen's I hope). Also need to have as great a throw as possible, with just a little spill.
My situation is probably a little different than usual.
I will be walking 30-40 minutes after dark in the following two very different surroundings:
1] In the woods with dense bushes. Need the light to penetrate as far as possible to look out for the eyes glowing -- no joke.
2] Walking in the open where there is a very, very long wide trail. Need to see as far ahead as possible.

Any ideas?

Tiablo A9

6.22 inch long, Weight 5.47 oz plus 2cr123a battery,Q5 bin over 250 lumens, water proof up to 5 meter, 7075 T-6 alloy, low mode 60 lumens will last 8 hour, or high mode 250 lumens last over 3 hour, from battery juction.:twothumbs

faiz23

Newly Enlightened
a light i just bought is the lumapower d-mini i like the size since it is pocketable compared to the other lights and it has a lot of versatility with the accessory pack. you could get peu 18650 battery for the light for around 35-45 dollars and the light is currently on clearance with a accessory pack normally around total would be on the light around $110 it is $52.50 with cpf discount including the extra accessories and it is a mean little light. add the tube and you are at around 90 bucks still under your budget. Check it out it is cheap enough to start off with and see how you like it, if you sell it you should be able to break even.

http://batteryjunction.com/d-mini.html

[FONT=arial, helvetica]-Newly developed machined aluminum reflector to optimize the Cree XR-E 7090 LED's radiation pattern(26mm dia. and 28mm depth).
-AR coated glass lense.
-Includes 2 tailcap switches; a Reverse Clicky and a twist on/off with momentary. Both capable of a full-lockout to prevent accidental activation. AIO kits includes the 2 stage High/Low output reverse clicky and the single stage reverse clicky!
-Glow in the Dark (GITD) and black tailcap switch covers included.
-High efficiency fully-regulated circuit drives LED at 550mA yielding ~110+ lumens at the emitter.
-Battery: Uses 1 x CR123A or 16340 or RCR123A. Battery not included.
-Belt pouch & Lanyard included with all models.
-Runtime: CR123A: 1 hour; RCR123A 35 minutes.
-Size: 103.5mm long x 26mm diameter body, 35mm bezel.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]All-In-One (AIO)Kit includes standard switch, single stage reverse clicky and 2 Stage (High/Low) reverse clicky switch PLUS both reflectors - every available accessory! A value of $32.50 for only $10![/FONT]

Last edited: