Quality Built Flashlight + Latern for Camping

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm looking for a high quality flashlight that also has a built-in lantern / area flood light feature. You can find lots of cheapo plastic stuff at many department stores and online, but nothing made of metal with CREE/REBEL like LED's. (Oh yeah, I need it to be LED)

I found this online as a good example of the functionality I want (however a bad example of quality)
http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/3-in-1-led-fishing-torch-camping-light.html

However, this thing looks very cheap. Looks like it would break upon the first drop on a rock.

I'd like the flashlight function to have medium throw and medium spill, but the area flood function to (of coarse) have lots of flood for hanging / setting around the campsite.

Anybody know of a quality built light that can do both functions?

yalskey

Enlightened
I'm looking for the area flood feature to light up a 360 degree area. I want to either hang it up at the campsite or set it on a table and have it light up a 100 foot diameter (at least) area.

I don't think a Fenix with a defusser is a lantern / 360 degree area light. It's more like a directional (admittedly wall-ish) type of light.

Come on my fellow flashlight nerds... don't let me down with this one. :)

yalskey

Enlightened
That's a very good lantern type of light for sure. I appreciate the recommendation and link. I might even go with a few of those.

However, it's not a flash / spot light. The key here is one device that has both functions.

We're getting closer folks... keep trying.

:)

clg0159

Enlightened
How about a large D-cell/C-cell light with a detachable head for candle mode. I use these alot for backpacking to avoid carrying multiple lights/lanterns as weight is a BIG issue when covering large distances.
I often use a 3 D-cell mag with the TLE-6EX drop-in. It gives you a flashlight/candle mode lantern and the ability to run it for a week without the need for extra batteries.
Maybe someone knows of a better torch with these same options, but I find this setup to work pretty well for this, although there are plenty of torches I would rather/and do carry for short distances or non-primitive camping.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you read the whole description of the light? The only reason I responded to this thread is that this lantern met your described requirements. I have it an I know that when you remove the top end cap, it turns it in to a nice little hand held spot light, with pretty decent throw and great flood. It is only 5" long with a 2" diameter. Below is the description of the light...

Very bright, lightweight lantern is great for Camping, Hiking, Power Outages, Emergency Signals • New K2 Luxeon white LED is 85 lumens bright • Innovative convex reflector spreads the light evenly • Remove the top end cap to create an extremely bright flashlight or hanging spotlight • 3 Stage Switch – High, Low, Flashing with Instant Off from any mode; just press the switch after 3 seconds to turn off the light • Battery Life – 7.0 hrs at maximum brightness 20 hrs of useable light in High mode 40 hrs of useable light in Low mode 40 hrs in Flashing mode • Tough aluminum body with rubber end caps • Weatherproof design with o-ring seals • Included carabineer clip provides easy attachment to backpacks, belt loops and tree limbs • Clamshell packaged with 3 AA alkaline batteries

However, it's not a flash / spot light. The key here is one device that has both functions.

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
I'm looking for the area flood feature to light up a 360 degree area. I want to either hang it up at the campsite or set it on a table and have it light up a 100 foot diameter (at least) area.

Your expectations may be a little high (100'+ diamater). The River Rock and Osram lanterns are nice but nowhere near the brightness of a typical white fuel or propane lantern. They'll light up a table and dimly light a campsite, but not a large, bright circle of light. I don't think you'll find anything in the "flashlight" size class (as opposed to a handheld spotlight/lantern size with SLA battery) that's going to put a lot of light out to 50'+ in a 360 degree pattern.

I haven't kept up with the Fenix diffuser to see if there's any room pics but other diffusers like that (35mm Fuji film canister trick) do a pretty good job of evenly distributing light. It can tailstand or hang and you have double the lumens to work with compared to a Lux-based lantern (River Rock).

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
People must be having a reading problem today in regards to the River Rock....

Remove the top end cap to create an extremely bright flashlight or hanging spotlight

Just take the top end cap off and it turns in to a nice bright Lux K2 multi level flash light. I know it works, because I have one...

and are lantern-only, not really convertible to flashlight duty. \

Last edited:

txmatt

Enlightened
The original River Rock lantern didn't have this feature, the newer K2 does.

yalskey

Enlightened
Maybe my expectations are a bit high. I was hoping with all the innovations in LED emitters, there would be something out there that would do the trick.

That River Rock looks pretty good. Sorry I didn't read the whole thing, but I have something almost like the River Rock I bought from Costco in a 4-pack and they are pretty dim and the top doesn't come off. I just assumed the River Rock was similar. My bad.

This Fuji Film canister trick... could someone explain that? What is it, just a thin white plastic container you tape to the end of a directional / spot flashlight?

If so, I'll put it on my Tiablo A9 and there we go!

txmatt

Enlightened
It's basically using one of the white/opaque 35mm film canisters with a hole in one end such that it slips over the head of a flashlight. This does a decent job of radiating light to the sides.

With a makeshift diffuser like this, I'd be a little concerned with heat, both the diffuser getting hot but also does the diffuser cause the light head/emmitter to get any hotter?

My take on this is that if you want QUALITY, you're better off with a separate flashlight and lantern, each designed for that purpose. Combination devices are usually a pretty big compromise. For example, flashlights that can tail-stand aren't very stable or it's hard to get them to hang straight, even with an effective diffuser. The RR K2 Lantern as a flashlight would likely have poor waterproofness with the top off and you'd likely mess up/scratch up the cylindrical plastic "chimney" if you dropped it much. It's also odd shaped for pocket or belt-clip storage for flashlight use.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Fuji Film canister trick... could someone explain that? What is it, just a thin white plastic container you tape to the end of a directional / spot flashlight?

Here is the Fuji film canister on my P3D. Actually works pretty well. You just cut out a hole in the cap to fit the diameter of your flash light bezel.

p3ddiffusernj2.jpg

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can spend it, I think this is a great opportunity to pick up a ZebraLight headlamp. It comes with a lanyard that allows you to hang it from a tree, etc. It won't get you 100 feet of powerful light though, but should provide 'usable' light within this range. You'll get a versatile light that has a pretty good quality build for a headlamp (my came with very smooth twisting threads and lubrication).

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
People must be having a reading problem today in regards to the River Rock....

Remove the top end cap to create an extremely bright flashlight or hanging spotlight

Just take the top end cap off and it turns in to a nice bright Lux K2 multi level flash light. I know it works, because I have one...

I have the K2 that has a removable top. Turns the light into a big, round flood beam when hand-held. Built-in diffuser.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
At TnC we've been selling the lantern heads for a while. The first generation are bead blasted polycarb which creates a diffuse beam and lets more light out than most other simple solutions like this. Also these lantern heads reduce the weight and length of the lights and stay water tight with the threading. The SF-Series also works on VIP lights.

The pic second to the bottom is the next generation lantern we've been working on that includes an attachment for carrying not in the pic. We didn't realize anyone else was doing this, but at least the lights with our lanterns remain pocketable. In addition you can use just about any size cell from CR2 to AA to 18650 to C size and you can pick what driver and LED you want from the beginning. The first generation lanterns work well for hanging as a lantern, but the second generation are for table standing. Also with these you can do some neat things such as create a rig to combine the ultimate flood and throw.

I feel flashlight builders in general have ignored some of the most important issues with vision. If you are on the mean streets or the woods what matters most, that which is dead ahead or what's in the periphery? We see motion very well in our peripheral view and yet most lights miss this essential viewing angle. The bottom pic shows a rig I use that has a light with a lantern head and a throwing long 27mm head. Together I have the best of both worlds. We are working on something that wil do this in one light as well.

TnC SF-Series Lanter Head (Flat Top)

TnC MrBulk Lantern Head (Flat Top)