Impact or Impact2...Which to buy?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to add an Impact to my collection; the question is which one to get?
The original looks a bit larger since it uses AA's. Beam shots on "The Light Site"
make it look significantly brighter also. Can you run Lithium AA's in the Impact?
That is a major bonus for me, as the light will be used in some cold conditions.

If it can't take lithiums then the smaller size of the Impact2 looks appealing. The other lights I carry camping also run on AAA's, so the batteries would be interchangeable.
Is there any annoying back spill from the translucent plastic body of the Impact 2?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Go with the Impact

Hello bluewater,

I faced the same question a while back and ended up with the Impact.

I like AA battery lights. I do not like the translucent case.

I have not put the Impact to a proper test, but it works well around the house. I need to take it out on a camping trip.

Tom

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Re: Go with the Impact

If the Impact II is all they say then it must be something!

I have an Impact and have never really got off to it. The beam to me is a bit hokey. I find however that it will run a LONG time on batteries. I figure it will come in handy should we ever get a power outage.

I carry every day a minim*g with a Madmax module. I can get right at 4 hours steady on with NimHs, or at my normal useage pattern, charge them weekly.

But I digress. I can't tell you which one to get, but I think I would get the Impact II.

bluewater

Newly Enlightened
Re: Go with the Impact

Hey Joe,

Can you define "hokey" for me? Is it the brightness that doesn't impress, rings, too tight a beam etc. I want something with long runtime over ultimate brightness.

bluewater

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Re: Go with the Impact II

I have the Impact II. I don't have the Impact, so my opinion isn't based on direct & comprehensive comparison. I chose the Impact II over the original Impact for these reasons:

-- Almost the same output
-- Half the weight
-- Much more pocketable - more on account of smaller diameter than less length
-- Updated design offers better grip and is more attractive

Now that I've lived with the Impact II for a while, I think I made the right purchase. I wouldn't want a heavier or larger light.

Light spilling back through the transluscent housing can be a little annoying, but is easily blocked by just holding the light with your hand over the shine through spot.

Enjoy, whichever you choose. It's a great light for times when a lot of throw is required. The beam isn't perfectly even as with non-lensed LED lights, but in real use that's not a problem. A more dim halo surrounds the bright center to give you enough view of the surroundings to stay oriented.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
bluewater said:
Is there any annoying back spill from the translucent plastic body of the Impact 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very little backspill light is emitted (compared to a PT Attitude) and even that small amount could easily be obscured with a thumb if need be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Just a note on the Impact II. The plastic clip is kinda weak, mine snapped off in about a week, but it worked out for me as I think it's more comfortable to hold without the clip.

Darkaway

Enlightened
Ditto with the above on the Impact II clip. Mine broke as I was withdrawing it from a belt with very little outward pressure. I have yet to contact PT so I'm about to test their customer service.

I have the original Impact as well and it's not a whole lot brighter considering its larger size. Don't buy either light if you expect a perfect beam. Both of mine are "ringy" but have a good center hotspot. The throw on both is excellent considering they are non-Luxeon single L.E.D. lights.

If you go with the original Impact you can interchange the head with a PT 40 (or PT 20 as long as you chage the PR bulb)and have the longer throw of an incan. light.

The Impact II has springs in the battery compartment whereas the Impact I has the notorious metal plate which can result in a bad connection and/or compressed batteries. This has been discussed elsewhere on CPF.

Both of these lights have an annoying characteristic; they don't work unless the batteries are in exactly right. The correct battery polarity is marked on the lamp module of both lights but it's hard to see. I remedied the problem by marking the cases with a large + and - in the correct position.

In spite of their drawbacks I like both lights and I'm still a big PT fan. I'm a camper/ backpacker too and the durability, light weight, and waterproofness of these lights makes them ideal for the outdoors.

I don't know about lithium battery use because I'm a NiMH kind of guy. The small amount of spillback in the Impact II does not bother me at all.