Newbie Help - P3DCE, SF G2 or TerraLux MiniStar5 Extreme

brightangelpoint

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase a new flashlight and have narrowed it down to the following three (budget is a factor here – don't want to spend a fortune)

Fenix P3DCE
Surefire G2 (not the LED Version)
Mag 3D + TerraLux TLE-6EX-B MiniStar5 Extreme drop in.

Despite a lot of searching I'm finding it hard to find information on which of these three will give me greatest distance. Primary use will be out walking the dogs – I live in a rural area – so once out of the village it's dark – and my main aim is to see the dogs and what's ahead rather than where I'm walking. I have a Princeton Tec Impact that is fine for close up with great battery life, but is no good for distance.

I will get rechargeable cells for which ever route I go – CR123 or D Cells.

I already have the Mag 3D – dug out of a box in the garage – so no expenditure required on that bit.

Any help or advice or even links to other posts (which I have obviously missed) much appreciated. If there is a flashlight in these price ranges that I have missed that will outperform the above please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
My vote is for a light that is not on your list, the WF-600(review) with 2 18650 3.7v rechargeable batteries and charger(total ~$45).

It will throw further then you Maglite, G2, and P3D-CE/Rebel 100. It is larger then the G2 and P3D but smaller then the Maglite 3D. The Maglite 3D will project more then the P3D and G2 but the WF-600 beats the 3D Mag in throw and output.

Or you could get a Malkoffdevices Drop-in for your Mag 3D. More expensive but also pretty bright and built to last.

:welcome:

brightangelpoint

Newly Enlightened
Thanks willrx and gunner12 for the info.

Had thought about the Malkoff - but they seem to be all sold out - even though a new batch has just been released. They must be good. Price wise - whilst 75 USD, at current UK exchange rates, this is the same cost as for a SF G2 from a high street store!

Will check out the WF-600 - not familiar with that one.

robo21

Enlightened
I have the Terralux TLE-6EXB in a 3 D cell Maglite. For the money it offers a great bang for the buck and good run time. I recommend that you start with that, it will always be a good flashlight to have around, you can always upgrade to a more expensive light. Good luck whatever you choose.

brightangelpoint

Newly Enlightened
The WF-600 looks impressive from the spec on DX. Costs seem to be relative. The WF-600 at current exchange rates is very cheap - if i convert the cost of a TLE-6EXB here in the UK from GBP to USD it's costing me USD52, whereas the total cost for WF-600 with 2 cells, charger and express delivery is USD59 - circa GBP30.

robo21

Enlightened
The WF-600 looks impressive from the spec on DX. Costs seem to be relative. The WF-600 at current exchange rates is very cheap - if i convert the cost of a TLE-6EXB here in the UK from GBP to USD it's costing me USD52, whereas the total cost for WF-600 with 2 cells, charger and express delivery is USD59 - circa GBP30.

I didn't consider your exchange rate situation. It sounds like you're all set with 18650 batteries then?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As a "walking the dog" light, your 3D Mag with the drop-in seems to be the best fit out of those lights you mentioned.