Dereelight DBS wrong choice for book light?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've been looking for a nice LED light for reading in the dark. Did I make a mistake by purchasing the Dereelight DBS for this purpose? I find sunglasses help.

:whistle:

Last edited:

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
LOL, thats awesome. I need a thrower and from the reviews I've read, looks like this could be the light I'm looking for. Are there any Lumens ratting for this light yet? I'm talking about the Q4 bin 3-mode one.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, thats awesome. I need a thrower and from the reviews I've read, looks like this could be the light I'm looking for. Are there any Lumens ratting for this light yet? I'm talking about the Q4 bin 3-mode one.

I haven't had a chance to approximate the lumens, it's gotta be around 180-200 out the front, but when it comes to throwers, it's not always about lumens, it's about the reflector design, etc. We've been metering it around 30,000LUX with fresh batteries, and Fastcar has it at 25,000LUX (this is the intensity of the hot spot, 1 meter from the front) after 2 hours of run time! Pretty impressive for an LED.

My Maglite 6D with fresh D's and a Xenon bulb was giving me a little over 30,000LUX at 1 meter, but the DBS seems to out throw it as it has a superior reflector, and the beam is tighter and less scattered.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that's enough light. You need two of those...One clipped on each side of you on your head board....:p

How's it compare to a Tiablo A9S Q5? What is the diameter and depth of the DBS reflector?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that's enough light. You need two of those...One clipped on each side of you on your head board....:p

I'll work on it. I have a CL1H V3.0 3-stage on the way, and I have a CL1H V2.0 3-stage in hand, so many I could combine all three for the ultimate book light experience! Anyone have a welding mask I could borrow?

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
I haven't had a chance to approximate the lumens, it's gotta be around 180-200 out the front, but when it comes to throwers, it's not always about lumens, it's about the reflector design, etc. We've been metering it around 30,000LUX with fresh batteries, and Fastcar has it at 25,000LUX (this is the intensity of the hot spot, 1 meter from the front) after 2 hours of run time! Pretty impressive for an LED.

My Maglite 6D with fresh D's and a Xenon bulb was giving me a little over 30,000LUX at 1 meter, but the DBS seems to out throw it as it has a superior reflector, and the beam is tighter and less scattered.

Thanks for your response. I was on the fence with the MRV. A8 and A9... I'm glad I waited. This will be my throw light.

Patriot

Flashaholic
LOL! That's pretty funny Wade. I've been really happy with my two MRVs and I think I might just pass right by the Tiablos and go for the Dereelight. I really liked your review of it also. :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if a should wait for a Q5 though...it might be worth it.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if a should wait for a Q5 though...it might be worth it.

You could wait, but if a Q5 module comes out, and eventually hopefully R-bins, etc, you just order the new pill. The 3-stage pills are about $29 I think, so a Q5 would be somewhere around there most likely. So you can get the light now, upgrade easily later, or wait a bit and see. :)

Mash

Enlightened
LOL!
Saw the thread title, and thought "oh god, this is going to be some super nooooooooooob!!!!!!!!!!"
Glad to see I was wrong and there is ample sense of humour around!

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been waiting for the MRV Lumapower at BatteryJunction, now I am waiting for Lighthound to get the Dereelight DBS!
I like my LP D-mini this new DEREELIGHT will be my main EDC mega thrower!
Maybe I can place an advance order at Lighthound....:thumbsup:

bspofford

Enlightened
You guys have it all wrong. You are supposed to use duct tape to hold the DBS to your binoculars so that you can read the book from 100 yards! Turning the pages is the challenge with my approach.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
Wade - Will you not read so late at night - I'm trying to get some sleep and your light is blazing right through our curtains. Give me a break willya!