how to wire 2 drivers in parallel?

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I'm trying to wire 2 drivers in parallel to get double the output.
what would be the easiest way to wire it?

Norm

Retired Administrator
But that PM doesn't help all the others out there that are interested in the answer.
I know it's possible with some drivers, but I suspect it can't be done with all drivers?
Norm

mfrey

Enlightened
I'd like to know also specifically in reference to SOB boards.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
But that PM doesn't help all the others out there that are interested in the answer.
I know it's possible with some drivers, but I suspect it can't be done with all drivers?
Norm
Sorry I sat down last night and wrote a very long response explaining it in detail but when I tried to post it it got erased somehow and I did not feel like doing it again. But due to popular demand, here goes.
You are right Norm you can't use all drivers. For instance I tried this with the
SKU: 1886 drivers from DX and it did not work at all. The SKU: 3256 however works beautifully and will give you almost hid like performance when combined with a Q5 and the super thrower(or any of its derivatives). At this current you need very good heatsinking so a flashlight with some heft is best.

As far as combining the two drivers its pretty simple. Lets start off with the input.

If you look at the bottom of the driver(flat side) you will notice an inner and outer ring. The inner is where the positive from the battery touches. Only one will actually touch the battery as the two drivers will be stacked and shoved into the open space provided when you prise out the old driver(speaking of the super thrower. There may not be enough room in other flashlights for two drivers). Because only the one at the bottom will touch the battery you will have to solder a wire from the positive of the bottom one to the positive of the top one.

Next is the negative input. You will need to drill a third hole so that you can run a ground wire from the top of the pill where the led resides down to the negative rings(outer ring on bottom). I wrapped the ground around the screw that holds down the star. Make sure you do not allow the ground wire to touch the leads of the led star. So that you don't have to have a huge hole for the ground I suggest you send one wire down and then split it into two once it is in the pill.

Now for the output. These are the red and black wires that come already attached to the 3256 driver. This is a different side of the circuit than the input so DO NOT allow these wires to ground to anything else. These go directly to the led. Red to led positive and black to led negative.
Take the two red output wires and combine them into one and connect this to the led positive. Same applies for the negative. You might want to use thicker wire in place of the ones provided from the factory as these are very flimsy and break easily. Thats it as far as wiring.

I suggest you put tape in between the two drivers so that nothing can short from one to the other. After that wrap the two drivers in tape(I used high temp tape from DX) To hold the two together, keep it from grounding , and take up the space around them so they fit snug into the pill.