18650 battery for DBS?

g_man

Newly Enlightened
I know this question may not go here, but this forum has the most viewer so here we go.

I want to pick up the DBS, but it uses rechargable Li-on batteries. I'm a noob when it comes to these. I assume I want to use the 18650 batteries. Can you guys point me in the right direction on specifics like volts (3.6V vs 3.7V) and amperage 2000mAh - 2600mAh and protected versus non-protected? How does a protected cell work differently? I see protected ones use or have this little PCB. Is this actually placed in the flashlight or just used for charging? What about recommedations on a charger? Any specific brands considered the best? Best place to buy?

Thanks again.
g_man

robo21

Enlightened
Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recommend AW's batteries. His new protected 18650's have a nipple on them, something a lot of the unprotected 18650's didn't have. You want protected batteries because they contain a circuit that prevents the battery from being over charged, over discharged, and too much current being drawn. Using unprotected batteries can be dangerous or you can damage the cell if you aren't careful. So don't fool around with cheap batteries, get AW's protected 18650's. He sells the Ultrafire WA-139 dual charger.

Even with good protected batteries, never leave batteries like this charging un-attended and take them off the charger as soon as they are completed. The Ultrafire charger will stop rapid charging when the lights go green, but supposedly it will go into a trickle charge mode. If you had unprotected batteries on it, the could over charge. The protected batteries are supposed to prevent this, but you shouldn't take any chances by leaving them on over night, when you're away, etc.

AW has a link to battery safety that is worth reading if you are getting into the world of rechargable lithiums.

18650's are great batteries and I love lights that use them such as the Dereelight DBS and CL1H!

g_man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information. It is much appreciated. You guys just made my decision so much easier for me.

g_man

Newly Enlightened
One more thing. Does it matter at all if the battery has a "button" top? I noticed that the ones sold by AW list this as a new feature.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
One more thing. Does it matter at all if the battery has a "button" top? I noticed that the ones sold by AW list this as a new feature.

That's what I have and they work just fine, but the Dereelights are designed to work with 18650's with button tops, or without.