Finally got me an ML1 !!

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
Finally got me the ML1 !!!:party:

After so many raves about the famous Milky L1 (ML1), I sent my old L1 to Milkyspit to give it the make-over it needed. IMO, it's the way the L1 should have been.
Milkyspit put an McR18j reflector with an SSCP4 USWOH emitter. The beam is flawless !! I even like it better than the L4's beam because it out throws it, but still has a wall of white light. It must be at least around 90 lumens !! (I did a ceiling bounce test with some other lights) It ran on high for an hour so far, I'm still testing it.
The other amazing thing is that it doesn't get hot like the L4 or L2, even after an hour. It was nice and warm, but not hot at all.
I'm running some 17335's (3-v protected) that I got from Lighthound, and they work great! Just make sure and tell'em your putting them in an L1, so that they make sure that they fit, since the barrel diameter is smaller.

Thank you Milkyspit !!

Another satisfied customer.
John

Spalding

Newly Enlightened
John,

I too just did what you did and I'm very happy with the "ML1". I can't speak highly enough of Milkyspit's work. You can tell plenty of research went into this mod because the quality of the light is just right.

Eddie

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the L1, and I love to let milkyspit work on them for me. I have two milky L1's.

The first one is a smoothie putting out about 100 lumens.
Seoul SSCP4 USWOH emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Smooth 20mm reflector
Ultra-clear flat lens
Tailcap resistance recalibrated as appropriate

The second one is a Throw Monster putting out about 160 lumens.
CREE Q4 WC emitter, hand-tested for optimal L1 compatibility
Stock circuit replaced with a Madmax Plus Circuit
Stock TIR Optic - Focusable
Tailcap resistance recalibrated to 3 to 5 lumen low
Rechargeable friendly

scottaw

Enlightened
His specialty is the earlier L1's, that's what made him "famous"

BSCOTT...CPF member "milkyspit" is who we're referring to, he's a flashlight modder with a great reputation around here. Look him up.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a the PhotonFest at Milky's house this past weekend, along with about 40 or 50 other flashlight lovers. There were so many wonderful lights there, but one that really looked great was a Milky-modded U2. It was as bright as a stock U2 by the fourth level, so levels 5 and 6 were just gravy, and significantly brighter than the stock one on level 6. Same runtime too as the board is the same. Beautiful beam.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1. 3 ML1's in various configurations, definately flashlight Nirvana! The one I like best is the McR18j-USWOH Seoul with the newest "short" body and old style head w Oregonshooter tail. It's about 1/8th inch longer than an E1L. Perfect!

Flashlike

Enlightened
I recently purchased a new SF L1 CREE and I'm already teetering on the edge thinking about having Milkyspit work it over, just hearing how pleased everyone is with their Milky mods.
So fellow CPF members, here's your chance to help push me off of the diving board! ;>)

One thing I'm considering, though, is the fact that basically the SureFire warranty would be null and void. It's sort of like buying a brand new high class automobile, then spending more money to have the engine pulled out and replaced with an Indy 500 race car engine. You end up with a super hot car with essentially no factory warranty because it has undergone major modification from its original state.

But that is what modding is all about--taking an "ordinary" flashlight and turning it into an "extraordinary" flashlight, right? Who cares about warranty (I guess...)?

I checked out the information thread (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175864) and believe that my preference would be the SEOULmated TIR Optic version.
What is the difference between the Seoul P4-USVOI and P4-USWOH emitters, though?

Here's a stupid question. If I have my L1 CREE modded, does MS use the existing head? The heads in the photos of the modded lights look different than the original SureFire heads--even shorter. And if I went with the "SEOULmated TIR Optic" mod does he just use the existing head, reflector, and lens just swapping the emitter?

OK--start kickin'. I'm ready to jump!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a new SF L1 CREE and I'm already teetering on the edge thinking about having Milkyspit work it over, just hearing how pleased everyone is with their Milky mods.
So fellow CPF members, here's your chance to help push me off of the diving board! ;>)

One thing I'm considering, though, is the fact that basically the SureFire warranty would be null and void. It's sort of like buying a brand new high class automobile, then spending more money to have the engine pulled out and replaced with an Indy 500 race car engine. You end up with a super hot car with essentially no factory warranty because it has undergone major modification from its original state.

But that is what modding is all about--taking an "ordinary" flashlight and turning it into an "extraordinary" flashlight, right? Who cares about warranty (I guess...)?

I checked out the information thread (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175864) and believe that my preference would be the SEOULmated TIR Optic version.
What is the difference between the Seoul P4-USVOI and P4-USWOH emitters, though?

Here's a stupid question. If I have my L1 CREE modded, does MS use the existing head? The heads in the photos of the modded lights look different than the original SureFire heads--even shorter. And if I went with the "SEOULmated TIR Optic" mod does he just use the existing head, reflector, and lens just swapping the emitter?

Hi Flahlike,
Hmmmm....... your new L1 already has the TIR optic, so it seems to me that all you are asking for is an emitter swap. I honestly don't see that you would be making much of a change, if any at all, to the beam.

I think most folks end up getting an ML1 because they love the design and build quality of the L1, but want a slightly more open, floodier beam..... or they are upgrading there old L1, which might have an older generation emitter.

I don't own an ML1, but I do hope to order one in the near future, and I've been studying the configurations trying to decide which one I want. Personally, I would just shoot an e-mail to the man himself and see what he has to say on the matter, as that is surely the best way to get a definitive answer to your question.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a the PhotonFest at Milky's house this past weekend, along with about 40 or 50 other flashlight lovers. There were so many wonderful lights there, but one that really looked great was a Milky-modded U2. It was as bright as a stock U2 by the fourth level, so levels 5 and 6 were just gravy, and significantly brighter than the stock one on level 6. Same runtime too as the board is the same. Beautiful beam.

i'm curious to know how this was accomplished on the U2.

was the 5W replaced with another 5W(x-bin) or one of the newer LEDs(cree/seoul)?

thanks in advance!

jcompton

Enlightened
i'm curious to know how this was accomplished on the U2.

was the 5W replaced with another 5W(x-bin) or one of the newer LEDs(cree/seoul)?

thanks in advance!

:sssh: That's a Milkyspit trade secret...:whistle:

:welcome:

4 Rebel 100 emitters with McR10 reflectors :party:

Can't wait for Scott to build mine!!!

Brozneo

Enlightened
:sssh: That's a Milkyspit trade secret...:whistle:
4 Rebel 100 emitters with McR10 reflectors :party:

DAMN!!! That's one hell of a nice build!!! So is there 4 reflectors or the four LEDs are all using one??

I have two ML-1's and hopefully soon a Milky Modded M6 if I can get in contact with him! Milky where are you???? :grin2:

jcompton

Enlightened
DAMN!!! That's one hell of a nice build!!! So is there 4 reflectors or the four LEDs are all using one??

I have two ML-1's and hopefully soon a Milky Modded M6 if I can get in contact with him! Milky where are you???? :grin2:

4 of each

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Difference in emitters mainly is tint but he hand picks em. Not likely for much to go wrong, he stands behind his work. Your referring to "early" style heads which are hard to come by, I'm sure he can mod the head you have. I don't like optics but he will do either one so ask him about it. The TIR optic has no reflector in it, only an optic. Sometimes it takes awhile to get an answer, he's busy and has kids so don't give up because it's worth the wait! :wave: