Help choosing a good CREE on budget ?

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
I'm been buying too many "toys" lately so I'm stuck on a budget :-\... What is a Good "or great, if possible" Cree light for under or around $45-$50 shipped... I kind of like either the Dexlight Sapphire or the Lumapower 33 "aka 303" ... I have about 56 Panasonic cr123a's laying around which get used in various weapon lights,lasers,aimpoints etc.etc so I want a light that uses the same. Would like something with a high and low setting but most importantly I want at least a 75+ lumen high setting and a moderate/decent spill "I want a light, not a laser beam :huh:"... Although I have plenty of 123a's that doesn't necessarily mean I want to use 1 every 30 minutes ^_^ so a good battery life is a plus as well.

Also like the Fenix p2 light , but kinda over price range.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Hyperion CE-R is a nice light for around $32, if you can find one. Very compact, Hard Anodized finish, good hotspot and spill, well made, takes CR123 (primary and rechargeables), Hi/Med/Low/Strobe/SOS, over 100 lumens on high, etc. I had one but ended up selling it since I also have a Jetbeam CLE and it's almost the same light except less bright and uses 1 AA.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might want to try Fenix lines, L2D-CE is almost within your budget and for a little cheaper you can get L2T V2 RB80, dont bother with Q5 and Rebel 100 version for now unless if money is not a concern :) both will satisfiy your need and bright enough for most jobs IMO. I would have choose a L2D-CE for modes and L2T for simplicty.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D-Mini is available at that price(Buy you won't have warranty). The WF-400(2 CR123) seems to have similar throw to the D-mini and the WF-800(4 CR123) has throw in the rage of the MRV. The VB-16(2 CR123) is also available.

The MTE CR123 Seoul also seems to be a good little light(think longer Fenix P1-CE with a Side clickie). Something more P1-CE like is the WF-602D.

Out of these, I think the VB-16(you control brightness/battery life) might be the best unless you need throw.

The Lumapower LM33 is also a good light. Good high and a good low.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P1-CE. It is less than $40 with the CPF discount, and has great a great combination of flood, throw and brightness. Mine has a smooth reflector, and the typical CREE rings are not very noticeable. I really like it, and it has become my "out at night light" that I keep in the watch pocket of my jeans.

Saiga

Enlightened
instead of something LIKE the fenix P1 ce, as gunner suggested. i'd suggest a real P1 ce. i recently got one, and it's all i can do to keep everyone else on the boat from stealing it !! with the fenix stores' free shipping and candlepower discount, i got it for just under $38.
(edit) i see datiLED beat me to it !!

Last edited:

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
So the Fenix has the best bang "cough.... beam" for the buck ? light will primarily be used for airbrushing... do alot of airbrush and hvlp work on firearms and you need to really be able to see into all the small corners and weird angles to make sure nothing gets missed. secondary function of the light will be for general walking around/spotting. Out in the country you always have somthing/somone trying to kill somthing and a good beam to the eyes proves effective for gaining the upper-hand..

Sorry for such a slow reply to you guys' post but I fell earlier and jacked my knee up.:(

Last edited:

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
damn, now I'm kind of liking the P3d that uses 2 CR123a's.. higher output "lumens" and better battery life per lumen ratio..

SouthernSorrows

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered a Fenix P3D Q5 Premium *natural finish* $61.80 shipped using CPF8 discount code. went a little over budget but if she bitches I"ll blame gunner12:thumbsup: for being an "enabler :nana:"

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Congradualtions on your new light, I was more thinking within your budget range, which excluded many of the Fenix lights.

You might also want to consider rechargeable batteries for your P3D-CE Q5.