First Post Noob Question

TKO

Enlightened
First of all, hello:wave:

I have an old round body SF 6R that, with the rechargable battery extension in place, allowed me to put three C123's in with a liquid whiteout cap spacer to fill the left over space (heated a large paper clip and ran it though the cap, clip to size bend ends down and voila). I then put a P91 on it.

Run time is the pits with the P91, so I was looking at this LED replacement: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html for the claimed 3 hours regulated runtime at 230 lumes or so.

First of all, will this LED work with my setup?

Secondly, if it does, how will the 230 lumens of LED compare to my 200 or so incadescent? If the true output is close, then it will be worth it, if it runs for 3 hours to a set of batteries compared to the 20 minutes or so that I am getting now.

On a side note, I am, also, considering boring out the body (leaving a shelf for the spring) to accept 18650's.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It would work but IMO the Malkoffdevice Drop-in would be the best. it is 230 lumen at the LED and is probably less out the front. The LED might seem brighter because of the whiter tint.

Either one should work, there are also sub $20 drop-ins(like this one) that will also work. If you are using your light tactically, don't use those drop ins. But for normal tasks they should be fine.

The LED drop-ins will run for longer because they are more efficient then the incandescent bulb they replace.

The main problem with LEDs is color rendering, everything might seem "flat".

:welcome:

TKO

Enlightened
It would work but IMO the Malkoffdevice Drop-in would be the best. it is 230 lumen at the LED and is probably less out the front. The LED might seem brighter because of the whiter tint.

Either one should work, there are also sub $20 drop-ins(like this one) that will also work. If you are using your light tactically, don't use those drop ins. But for normal tasks they should be fine.

The LED drop-ins will run for longer because they are more efficient then the incandescent bulb they replace.

The main problem with LEDs is color rendering, everything might seem "flat".

:welcome:

Thank you for the reply.

The light is used tactically, both hand held with sidearm or mounted on an AR-15 front sight post mount, so brighter is better, but relibility is paramount.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend the Malkoff over the other LED? If it because the LED that I posted will not run direct drive after dropping out of regulation, then I understand tactically.:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I recommend the Malkoff over the other one because it uses a smooth reflector and probably has more throw, and it is hand-built so you can contact directly to the product's creator. The Bugoutgear drop-in would be brighter though.

Both should be fine for your task.

If you want max brightness go for the BOG(bugoutgear) drop-in.