where to get aspherical lens?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
where can i get the 50mm x 35mm aspherical lens? surples shed used to have it but now they don't have anymore.

is there any other places?

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 52mm lens will privide much better results. A little pricey but well worth it if you are going to take the time to make one of these awesome light. Here is the link to the 52mm lens

yeah i found that site from a previous thread. got 50x35mm since i know it focus right. didnt want to experiment with fitment for 28 each ouch.:p

shave the stock reflector 1-2mm and it fits perfect. 50mm is the dia of the reflector so the glass fits snuggly in the head.

the 50x30mm is not right.it's more like 51 or52mm in dia. god awful projection.

DM51

Flashaholic
You should read this thread if you are thinking of ordering from Surplus Shed.

Lux - I have a Kiu-like strike bezel which I got from Mad Maxabeam some months ago - not sure if it is a Kiu one or if he got it somewhere else. I thought it would be perfect with the Mag 1C with 52mm aspheric I got from ledean, but it doesn't quite fit. I think it just needs some careful machining to allow for the extra lens thickness, as it was obviously designed for a flat borofloat. I'll look into that sometime over the next day or 2.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know where I can get one for a minimag and what size?

Thanks

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should read this thread if you are thinking of ordering from Surplus Shed.

I have ordered from them and when paid, latter found out item out of stock they emailed me and promptly refunded my money.

I started a thread in incan. related to aspherical lens, not the fisheye type LED moders use. It is a precision optic lens. Ever have a lens break due to heat, or buble up surface of a reflector?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179681

This lens has higher heat capabilites, culminates the beam producing longer throw with usable side spill.

Jim

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Does anyone know which Aspherical would fit the KIU bezel then? There are two problem with the 52mm, the width of the base causing it to not allow the KIU to screw down right, and the front of the lens protrudes beyond the bezel, so you will scratch the lens if you try to stand it up.

What is confusing me is this image posted by Katsyonak. Not sure what he is using in that setup.

DM51

Flashaholic
He says he is using a 50mm, not a 52mm. That bezel is just like the one I have, and I can imagine it would work OK with a 50mm. He has a nice looking set-up there, however there have been quite a few posts where people (including ledean himself) have said the 52mm is a very much better lens.

katsyonak

Enlightened
Hi there,

The lense I have is the 50mm x 35mm from Sureplus Shed which seem to be currently out of stock. Originally I wanted the 52mm, but because it was out of stock I got the 50mm one.
The lense does seem to be 50mm in diameter and it's lips thickness is approximately 2.5mm.

What I forgot to mention earlier is that I shaved the lips of the reflector so it will go deeper inside the head. I did that with both the stock reflector and the aluminum reflector I got from Kai Domain and currently use.

Here's the shaved aluminum reflector:
0911071317nv2.jpg

Here's the reflector deeper in the head:
0911071314rj2.jpg

Here with the lense above it:
0911071320lp2.jpg

and here with Kiu's bezel:
0911071322ms4.jpg

Hope it helps, and sorry about the quality of the cell phone camera pictures :)

DM51

Flashaholic
No need to apologise for the pics - they are good, and illustrate exactly what you say.

Did shaving the reflector alter the focus of the lens? If the lens now sits directly on the head of the light, closer to the LED, this will have changed the focus a bit.

I mention this because I did a small experiment with mine by taking out the reflector altogether, to see what happened. This only made a difference of ~1mm distance between the lens and the LED, but it completely threw the projection out of focus. Where the image of the LED had previously been sharp, it was now all fuzzy and didn't throw nywhere near as far. Needless to say, I put the reflector back straight away!

I'm just wondering if you still have a sharp image.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just Dremelled some of the bottom edge of my 52mm. High speed, diamond grinder, went slow. Perfect result. Top of lens now clearly not touching tabletop. Focus perfectly sharp.

Thumbnails

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
LOL, it looks as if you have now added glasswork to your many other accomplishments!

That lens looks as if it is inside the head now. It must be sitting 2-3 mm nearer the LED. Do you keep the focus by not having the head screwed in all the way? And did you take out the reflector?

katsyonak

Enlightened
Very good job LuxLuthor!
Now I have a good reason to buy the more expansive 52mm lense :)

DM51, The focus is sharp but not when the head is screwed in all the way. I don't know how much the lips effect the focus, but I know that shaving the buttom part of the original reflector effected the focus mostly. If you shave too much of the buttom part you will need to focus for sure.

DM51

Flashaholic
OK thanks, that makes sense. Mine happens to be in perfect focus when the head is screwed in the whole way. If I shave off some of the reflector or lens as you and LL did, I should still be able to focus it by just not screwing the head all the way in.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Yes the lens is now actually inside that upper 3-4mm lip of head which is what keeps it from touching the table when standing up. I took out the reflector when I noticed the 1D I had received from Mac didn't have one, but you could shave it down at base and top so it would fit. I don't think it makes much difference on the sharp hotspot though.

And, yes, I just screw the head out a bit more to get the same perfect focus. Lastly, I got one of those boxes of O-Rings from Harbor Tools, and found that their R-32 fatter O-Ring gave a perfect, tight screw down fit.

This issue of not being able to stand up my Aspherical Mags, and worrying about them rolling on the floor was a nagging issue....and the KIU and this customizing really did the trick. :party: I also like the blocking of the side spill with these normally protruding design asphericals...which gets in your field of peripheral vision.

Last edited: