Took some pictures of the moon

tobjectpascal

Banned
it's now 1:56am here...

went outside had a look, real nice here in south australia..

Today is Friday, October 26, 2007, at 01:56 AM

here's some pics i took

zoomedvga.jpg

http://ymlitechat.com/ymlite/lowreszoom.jpg

http://ymlitechat.com/ymlite/medres.jpg

http://ymlitechat.com/ymlite/hires.jpg

I love how the Sony SLR cam can even pick up the stars around the moon... if you ever buy a decent camera make sure it's got SLR, even this $300 which is 4 years old still beats the crap out of any phone camera :)

The folks in the US will catch these kinds of images while im sleeping, sometimes Australia has it's advantages, not very often but sometimes :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moon is a very difficult target without a long zoom and stabilization... This is the best I have ever been able to do. This is with a Sony R1 on a tripod.

2m6ak1x.jpg

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good attempt but you need to use much less exposure if you want to see the detail in the moon like you can see in thujone's picture. From the EXIF data I can see that you used 1/8s, f2.5, ISO 320. Thujone used 1/100s, f16, ISO 160 and this shows the detail in the moon. Use the manual exposure setting on your camera. If you are trying to expose the stars, then you need to use much more exposure. Then the problem is that the stars will turn into trails (some people use tripods that track the position of the stars to avoid trails). Unfortunately it is not possible to expose the moon correctly AND show the stars (unless you merge images of different exposures)

BTW: the Sony Mavica CD500 is NOT an SLR

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about these?

Moon4.jpg

Moon1.jpg

Moon2.jpg

Moon3.jpg

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moon is a very difficult target without a long zoom and stabilization.

I was all into astrophotography when I was a kid. My first shot of the moon looked like a shot of the sun; totally overexposed.

The first time I peered at the moon through a (cheap) telescope, I was totally enthralled. The detail you could see!! Even better than Nitro's pics!

BTW, Thujone, "Live in the dark, and the world is threatening." Where'd you get that?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first time I peered at the moon through a (cheap) telescope, I was totally enthralled. The detail you could see!! Even better than Nitro's pics!

Really? What size scope was it?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? What size scope was it?

It was a Cometron CO-60, once of those lower-cost 'scopes Celestron sold during the Halley's Comet craze. It has an objective diameter of 60 mm, focal length of 800 mm. I believe the low-power eyepiece gave a magnification of 40x... can't remember what the high-power eyepiece magnified to, but since I was more of a "deep sky" type of kid, the high power didn't get used much.

Anyway, dad bought me the scope from one of those discount junk catalogs, paid like $40 for it. I learned A LOT about astronomy while I used it, even more than I managed to figure out during the many hours of reading I did.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a Cometron CO-60, once of those lower-cost 'scopes Celestron sold during the Halley's Comet craze. It has an objective diameter of 60 mm, focal length of 800 mm. I believe the low-power eyepiece gave a magnification of 40x... can't remember what the high-power eyepiece magnified to, but since I was more of a "deep sky" type of kid, the high power didn't get used much.

Anyway, dad bought me the scope from one of those discount junk catalogs, paid like $40 for it. I learned A LOT about astronomy while I used it, even more than I managed to figure out during the many hours of reading I did.

Those moon shots were taken with a Celestron Ultima 11. That's equivilent to a 280mm objective diameter, 2800mm focal length lens at f/10. With my D60 (6 MP) camera (1.6 crop) connected directly to it, it's around 90x. By adding eyepieces, the power can be cranked up much more. I believe the highest USEFUL limit of a scope this size is 660x.

jerryd

Newly Enlightened
Being new to the DSLR world I attempted and succeeded in some nice moon shots.

1569-sm.jpg

For a 10 second exposure that looks more like the sun!

1553-sm.jpg

Both where taken with a Canon Rebel XTi, first was with a Tamron 400mm lens. The second was with a Canon 16-35 2.8 L lens.

Jerry

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool shots, the second is a very nice long exposure.

Bring up the shutter speed on the first one, you can use a faster shutter or smaller aperture (bigger number value, ie. f/8 would be bigger than f/4), it looks a bit overexposed.

You're inspiring me to go shoot the moon too :)