Useful TriLight Mod

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I cut a 2" diameter circle out of the plastic lens that covered an R30 CFL floodlight reflector unit . The plastic lens is patterned to diffuse light, and is slightly concave. If you replace the MagLite lens on your TriLight with the concave side toward the optics, it will cause the optics to slightly point outward, further diffusing the light. The result is a very nice broad flood.

shipinretech

Enlightened
I'm really glad you are enjoying your TRILIGHT and are expirementing with it. One method I am using with a test unit is to remove one of the collimnating optics. That way you get one LED giving a floodlight and two giving a focussed light. Good luck with your modifications and please keep posting them!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've thought about trying 3 McFlood reflectors instead of the standard optics. As soon as I get my Trilight back from InReTech...I'll check it out!

I like the idea of using two standard optics and omitting one. Perhaps 1 McFlood, 1 standard, and omit one...If it's a big difference, perhaps beamshots would be warranted...

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Please let me know how that works out. I'm obsessed with smooth beams, and will always suffer diminished brightness to eliminate artifacts. I find the McFlood reflectors "ringy", but the result with three of them might be quite nice ... and more efficient without a diffuser in the way.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I went to Pep Boys and rummaged around their radiator hose back room, finally finding some UPC 0 38244 71048 5 CURVED RADIATOR HOSE (E) 71048. This perfectly adapts C cells to a D diameter. I reversed the spring, and bent the center coil outward to make better contact with the center of the C cell. The TriLight is definitely brighter on 4 [C] cells, and with the ones I had, well below the 1.1A limit indicated on another thread.

The nice thing about this is that you can easily reverse the spring, pull out the hose, and use 3 D cells.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re:Beamshots: Trilight, StarLux, Blaster II

Following up on a post above, I wanted to compare beams of these three torches experimenting a little with optics in the InReTech Trilight 3D drop in. These are my first beamshots. I used the "Auto White Balance" setting (new camera takes GREAT macros, but I don't have it all figured out yet) and don't know how that affected each shot individually. The beam spreads are fairly accurate, however the characteristic pea green of the Luxeon Star seemed "slightly" exaggerated. The torches were 5' from the wall. I'll post the smaller thumbs in the next message for a "quick" beam spread comparison.

Blaster II 30mm optics:
fc8547ca.jpg

StarLux NX-05 optics:
fc8547bd.jpg

Trilight w/no optics:
fc85479b.jpg

Trilight w/3 NX-05:
fc854789.jpg

Trilight w/3 McFloods:
fc8547b0.jpg

Trilight w/1 McFlood, 1 NX-05, and 1 LED w/o optics:
fc8547b0.jpg

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re:Beamshots: Trilight, StarLux, Blaster II

Here are the thumbs of pics in the above post for "quick" beam spread comparisons:

Blaster II
fc8547ca.jpg.thumb.jpg

StarLux w/NX-05
fc8547bd.jpg.thumb.jpg

Trilight w/o optics
fc85479b.jpg.thumb.jpg

Trilight w/3 NX-05
fc854789.jpg.thumb.jpg

Trilight w/3 McFloods
fc8547b0.jpg.thumb.jpg

Trilight w/1 NX-05, 1 McFlood, 1 LED w/o optics
fc854792.jpg.thumb.jpg