New P3D Q5- Initial Reviews?

Delta

Enlightened
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'd like to hear some initial reviews and make sure it's not buggy. Has anyone recieved theirs yet?

j3bnl

Enlightened
I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these, but I'd like to hear some initial reviews and make sure it's not buggy. Has anyone recieved theirs yet?

Received mine about 5 days ago.
I have used it at work the last 4 nights and have been very impressed with all aspects of it. ;)

Delta

Enlightened
Received mine about 5 days ago.
I have used it at work the last 4 nights and have been very impressed with all aspects of it. ;)

Do you have any original Cree-Editions to compare it to? Such as the 1st L2D?

j3bnl

Enlightened
Do you have any original Cree-Editions to compare it to? Such as the 1st L2D?

Sorry no.
The amount of light this puts out is simply just amazing though.
It blows the Wolf Eyes Defender II and Guider I have away, and is a lot smaller and a lot lighter.

lyte~speede

Newly Enlightened
I just got one as well.

Great light for the price. BRIGHT. Brighter than SF L4 and NT 120P but these are each different animals. Some complain about the UI however--I think its fine. Its operation is easy and becomes automatic within minutes.

Minor cons: reverse click and needless SOS. Temporary/momentary switching would be great.

Cheers

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's a great light. Got mine today w/ some AW's 123s & the speed charger. Feels like a Fenix. Wish it had just a little more in the way of grip/texture as I use the light @ work (automotive). The OP reflector is beautiful, though I haven't used a Cree with the smooth to give any comparison. If the tail had a wasn't reverse clicky, it'd be pretty much perfect for me. I like the UI otherwise - easy to stay clear of the silly modes & have quick access to the ones you use daily.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
I probably got one of the first, shipped on the 16th. Great light... About the same (or maybe a little brighter) in throw than the CE (160lumen) but definately more spill and a larger hot spot... = noticeably more light out the front. There are some instances where I prefer the colour my Rebel 100 puts out (eg a normal night with clear or partial cloudiness) and other nights where I like the Q5 colour better (a VERY overcast night, the ones where you cant see your hand 6 inches in front of you, it seems to almost cheer you up). I've said it elsewhere, though, that t3 3-cell body puts out a solid beam (get these at Fenix-store)... not necessarily brighter, but it almost seems more... well... solid. It definately doesn't mind weak cells, no hesitation or flickering of any kind.

Anyway, just about everyone I show the P3D to is astounded. (they see the 110 lumen setting and are really impressed, then surprised to find it's not the highest setting.)

Is it brighter than the premium 100? Well, a 15 lumen difference is really hard to see, practically impossible... again, with the colour difference it's hard to tell.

d_rasp

Newly Enlightened
One thing I was concerned about until using the light was the "flash" when going into the 'low' mode. FWIW, I ONLY see this flash when rotating through modes from S.O.S. into 'low'. When turning the light on, with the head backed off the low beam comes on very nicely & I'm not worried about blowing adjusted night vision coming out of rotating through 'low', 'med', 'high', 's.o.s.' then back into 'low'.

wishywashy7

Enlightened
I have mine in the HAIII olive drab color, weird but it feels a lot like powdercoating to me, totally unlike SF HAIII. The modes are useful except for the SOS. It really does produce an amazing amount of light for it's size.:)

The seller cautioned me on using turbo for more than 10 minutes. The high mode really is a lot of light for most uses. I guess it just increases the throw for outdoor use, but I can hardly notice the increase in utility if used in a dark room.

I was just wondering, how do most people carry their fenix, with (bezel-tight) (turbo/strobe) or 'bezel-loose" (general). Im afraid accidental turning on of the light in turbo mode unnoticed for long periods would kill the LED. My wife also says she prefers the fenix general mode set-up of increasing the intensity as you cycle the modes rather than the other way around.

Delta

Enlightened
How many others feel the same way about the OD coating? Does it feel less tough than the black?

wishywashy7

Enlightened
but why does the HAIII feel different with the olive drab compared to a SF HAIII? it feels like there's a clear powdercoat?:shakehead

Delta

Enlightened
Get a knife and scratch-test it for us and report back....

Quickstrike

Newly Enlightened
I think you will be very pleased with any CE or P100 P3D!

I have bought a couple lights since my initial P3D purchase (35W HID, L600) and none have impressed me as much as the P3D.

In my mind, it is the perfect size. Fits comfortably in my hand and pocket. Fantastic brightness and you can barely feel it in the pocket.

With my other lights, you kind of expect a lot of light because of their sheer size. Not so with the P3D.

Not to mention, all the modes being incredibly useful for various tasks at hand.

I plan on keeping my other lights around for the odd task... but the P3D will truly meet all my needs 95% of the time.