mini-mag 2aa

brentjsimm

Newly Enlightened
i've been looking at the drop in mods for this light. the strongest i've seen is a 5-watt insert that increases the luminance to 100 lumens. has anyone see any dropins that are brighter? i don't mind doing a mod myself, but there are thousands of different types of leds out there, with a vast array of specs. i'm just not sure which one to get. any suggestions?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The brightest drop-in is the Terralux Cree drop-in at around 100 lumen(about 60-70 out the front).

Quick LED 101:

The "newer LEDs"(Cree XR-Es have been out since last year), the Cree XR-E(P4-R2 bin), Seoul P4, and Rebel 100 LEDs are at least double the efficiency of the Luxeon I, III, V and K2 LEDs. So for the same power, the newer LEDs will produce twice ore more output(or the same or more amount of light if compared against the Luxeon V, the Luxeon V has about double the Vf so uses twice the power).

So for any mod, aim for a Cree/Seoul/Rebel LED.

The brightest mod for the Minimag that I can think of is one with the Cree R2 and the Badboy 750mA step up circuit. The main problem is the R2s are very new(probably some Vf and tint problems) so I'd stick with the Seoul P4s(the Rebel 100 tiny and hard to solder) for mods.

Also check this thread except now use the Seoul instead of the Luxeon.

:welcome:

brentjsimm

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the advice. i was looking at the terralux tle-5ex. i may go that route. i'm not looking to burn the house down, just a good, bright, multi-purpose flashlight. i saw another mod. it involves replacing the bulb with an led, then using 3 n-cell batteries with a resistor. i know electronic physics, but don't know much about optics. do you think it would be possible to go brighter by attempting this mod?