Good small thrower?

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
Livermore, In the people's republic of CA
Hello all, I'm Tiny. New here, and still a little noobish to flashlights.

I want to get a CREE LED pocket sized thrower. I'm looking at the SF 6P LED and the G2 LED. I have been told and read that they are pretty good throwers. Dose everyone agree? I want something along that size, maybe one more 123a.

Dose anyone have a better suggestion that is 5-7in, around 80+ lumens, quality on par with SF, and an LED?

Thanks!

bspofford

Enlightened
8W Mini-CREE (1XCR123A) at DX for $17
WF-400 (18650) at DX for $23
D.mini Q2 (1XCR123A) at DX for $45

They're all great little lights!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the OLIGHT T10. Runs on 1 x CR123/RCR123
http://www.batteryjunction.com/specialedition-t10-olight.html

The T20 is even brighter and runs on 2 x CR123/RCR123's.
These are on back order though.

I just received mine today. When I clicked it on, my jaw dropped
to the floor. This thing is amazingly bright with insane throw.
Very tight hot spot.
I never thought it would be possible getting that much throw from
a 1 celled compact light.

:twothumbs

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumipower D-Mini is a good small throw light.The D-Mini uses a large deep reflector giving it better throw than comparable lights.I believe Battery Junction has both the old and new model of the D-Mini available.

falconx

Newly Enlightened
The WF-600 seems to have a good rep for throwing, its $28 from DX.. I haven't received mine yet but i can let you know how it goes against my L2D if you want when it gets here.

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I'm Tiny. New here, and still a little noobish to flashlights.

I want to get a CREE LED pocket sized thrower. I'm looking at the SF 6P LED and the G2 LED. I have been told and read that they are pretty good throwers. Dose everyone agree? I want something along that size, maybe one more 123a.

Dose anyone have a better suggestion that is 5-7in, around 80+ lumens, quality on par with SF, and an LED?

Thanks!

How much throw do you need? I have Tiablo A9 rated at 256 lumens and Fenix P3D Q5 rated at 215 lumens, The fenix is smaller and only 4.5 inch long, I carried 7 days a week in my pocket, and my Tiablo is 6.22 inch long with bigger and deeper reflector for better throw.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefers WF-400 for its skinny profile and longer throws compared to similaryly sized light. I found D-Mini head is just to big while the body is okay.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Cree projection will easily out throw the P6L and G2L. For something similar sized and a lower price, go for the WF-400.

Quality on par with Surefire, well, the Dereelight CL1H with the Q5 module and smooth reflector would be a good candidate.

Daekar

Enlightened
+1 on the D-mini from Lumapower! Good little thrower, and if you buy the D65 tube you can use 18650 batteries for much longer runtime!

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
How much throw do you need? I have Tiablo A9 rated at 256 lumens and Fenix P3D Q5 rated at 215 lumens, The fenix is smaller and only 4.5 inch long, I carried 7 days a week in my pocket, and my Tiablo is 6.22 inch long with bigger and deeper reflector for better throw.
Honestly, it more of a preference, I just like to have more throw in my lights. This is really just kind of an experiment, I haven't obtained a new flashlight in about two years, and now they are probably nothing what they were like when I was looking into them or the LEDs at least. I've been looking for a new EDC and I have heard that the CREE LEDs throw really well, so I want to see what there like.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
Since you want quality on par with SF, you can ignore all suggestions to buy DX (dealextreme.com) because they are cheap.
As for the lumens, 80 is pretty low these days. You can get a single CR123 that's more like 130 lumens or more. It seems like the best suggestion so far is the O-Light T10. It's much brighter than the SF.
If you really want throw, then the lights that use 18650 batteries are the way to go, like the Tiablo or Lumapower throwers. Also the 2 x CR123 lights like the Fenix P3D-Q5 and the O-Light T20.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's not the LEDs that throw well, it's the reflector/optic that they are paced in. A Luxeon I can throw more then a Cree XR-E Q5 if you put a deep reflector on the Luxeon and use the Cree without the reflector.

How much throw do you need/want?

Tiny86

Newly Enlightened
How much throw do you need/want?
Let me ask the question in a different (and hopefully better) way. How much throw can I get in a light that is around the same size as the SF 6P or G3? As much as can be fit in a light that size is what I want. Dose that make more sence? I don't mind if the light housing (is that what its called, or would you call it the reflector?) is a little larger.
So if 80 lumens inset that bright now days, I would love 150+. What would the run time be on something like that? I have never used the 18650 batteries, are they the newer era of batteries?
Sorry for all of the noobish type questions and repeats:thinking:

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Last edited:

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
My Tiablo A9 6.22 inch long will throw about 500 feet, but don't have very good usable side spill.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For the most throw out of a G2 sized light(no wider), look at a aspheric mod. All throw and no spill.

For something stock, the Dereelight CL1H smooth reflector with the Q5 module seem to be the bes thrower. If you don't mind something bigger, the DBS is a much better thrower then the CL1H. The Regalight is somewhere in between with the throw and size.

I think your best choice would be the Dereelight DBS with a Cree Q5 module.