Surefire " Upgraded" L5 ?

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
The 2007 Catalog says the L5 was getting upgraded, but I dont see any out there yet. A search didnt provide much help.

Are they still coming ?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Earlier in the year SureFire placed the new L5 on indefinite hold.

SureFire have since released their new L1, new E1L, new E2L, new 6PL, new G2L and new Titan. And those are just the high-profile flashlights... Most noteworthy for WeaponLight has been the release of the new X300.

Perhaps SureFire prioritised the releases and in due course will look again at the new L5.

It seems to me that high output bezels for the likes of the M2/C2/L5 (6P) body, and looking further into the mists - for the M3 body are strong contenders for update...

Al

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something to replace the Luxeon V heads?

I was disappointed when the Kx5 head was put on indefinate hold, this however, might make the wait worthwhile...

I had also heard rumours of a high output LED head for the 9v lights...wonder if they'll use a different emitter to the current batch of Cree lights.

Let the speculation begin!

holden

Newly Enlightened
I am eagerly looking forward to this light's release. The L5 is one of my favorites.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the Luxeon V is sort of a dead end, and if SF made updated versions of the L4/L5/etc that used single die leds then they'd have to change model numbers. For 9V, I'd say go triple rebel ;)

stevea2

Newly Enlightened
Last week I called Surefire customer support. They told me their expected release date of the updated L5 is scheduled for early next year. Who really knows when it will be released? :thinking: I had spoken with Surefire one week earlier and their release date was to be in December of this year. Makes one wonder is it is akin to the computer industrie's "vapor ware"?

SF customer service did tell me that they intend for the price of the 120 lumen L5 to remain the same as their current 100 lumen model.

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion it is the L6 (LED version of the M3) that has the most to gain from being updated - I hope SureFire can make the output much higher and the bezel more compact.

Al

My Bud carries a M-3. and loves it. I like it, except for the apatite for Batteries.
So now that you mentioned this, a 120 or so lumen output, decent throw, and maybe 3 hours of life would be great.