Making a firestarter

Jenova

Enlightened
Got a 3D maglight (Stock as a rock) and want to mod it into a firestarter as done by mac's customs
just wandering how to do this??
instructions parts etc
of even a guide would be great
thanks
will post pics when its done ;)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you learn a bit more about flashlights and the dangers associated with high-powered batteries and bulbs before diving into the deep end. These things aren't toys.

Read up on the Incandescent forum and this Homemade/Mod forum, and also the Custom/Mod BST. That's a good start.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Hello and :welcome:

as TigerHawk suggested, high-powered incand lights and their components can be quite dangerous if you aren't careful.

As for suggestions, I have no problem lighting newspaper with my Mag85, it is a less powerful mod than some of the Mac ones demonstrated on YouTube but has a useful runtime and can be run on NiMH rechargeable cells which are probably safer to get used to before you get involved with Li-ion. I haven't experienced it yet but the lamps can shatter with considerable force when they fail, so please exercise caution. You will also need to be prepared to sink some money into it, mine turned out a little more expensive than I had planned for.

Good luck and do read around for safety before you start to get involved.

Andrew

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Got a 3D maglight (Stock as a rock) and want to mod it into a firestarter as done by mac's customs
just wandering how to do this??
instructions parts etc
of even a guide would be great
thanks
will post pics when its done ;)

Jenova, you need high output NiMH cells. Mac's original torch used 3 stacks of 4 NiMH 2/3A Elite cells that you can get from cheapbatterypacks.com, and these fit in a 2-D mag that has to be "Tri-Bored" out so they will fit.

In a 3D mag, you could use 4 stacks of 3 NiMH AA 1700mAh cells, that will also give you 12 x 1.2V = 14.4V pack. Lower performing batteries will not hold up to the fast, high current output that the Osram 64623 bulb requires. The batteries need a secure connection between them, and it's a good idea to to a resistance wire fix of the tailcap spring.

You also should improve the stock Mag switch, as it was not designed for this higher current. There is a 10A replacement switch you can use, or install a NTC, or buy one of AW's new D Mag switches.

Then you need a metal reflector and borofloat glass lens so the heat doesn't melt the stock plastic parts.

LOL! Now that I list all these details, there are a few things that you would have to put on your checkoff list....but you can do it.

Welcome to CPF!

Jenova

Enlightened
Cool mate
Yeh im up for the challange
ill take a read of the other forums but while im reading does anyone know the suppliers for the 10A replacement switch (want to look @ all of them and take my pick) also the metal reflector and borofloat glass lens would be great
Thanks Guys

Jenova

Enlightened
been reading a bit hey
might do a mag85 mod first then see how that goes then move on to the firestarter
thanks for the help guys

Illum

Flashaholic
aside from building it yourself if I recall theres a few USLs [or spots] being sold in the BST, chances are the threads may be inactive but it does no harm to look

and yes, to gain access to BST [buy/sell/trade] in CPF marketplace you will need to create a new account, perferrable the same attributes as the existing cpf account, but thats just me :grin2:

Jenova

Enlightened
After 2 months of reading and playing

Finally built a USL

Using a 6d Host
KUI high temp kit
Old battery back off a dewalt torch (12v)
An old Osram 62138 i had lying around from a spotlight
SMO Reflector
Boron Glass
Also done a resistance fix on the tail cap spring

Its got a nice hotspot ;)
And its BRIGHT ;)

Fresh off the charger the cells were 14v

Thanks for the help :D

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 2 months of reading and playing

Finally built a USL

Using a 6d Host
KUI high temp kit
Old battery back off a dewalt torch (12v)
An old Osram 62138 i had lying around from a spotlight
SMO Reflector
Boron Glass
Also done a resistance fix on the tail cap spring

Its got a nice hotspot ;)
And its BRIGHT ;)

Fresh off the charger the cells were 14v

Thanks for the help :D

Good job :) My first higher output build was a Mag85. Everybody should have owned or built a Mag85 at some time or another just because :)

The Osram 64623 bulbs should be fairly redilly available for when you decide to bump up to a 14.4v or 15.6v pack. LuxLuthor can build a pack to suit your needs should you decide to go that route. I've got a Mag623 that basically started life as another type of build but the man making them (Ginseng) decided to experiment with mine. Of course I gave him the go ahead to do whatever he wanted with it. So i've got a 1-off unique piece that was part of the only run of lights that he made. Which is somewhat fitting since his origonal Aroura project from way back in the day is what got me into flashlights in the first place.

Now all we need to do is get you a few nice little LED based lights for you to carry in your car or in your pocket. And then about a dozen or so customs made by various people and you'll be good on your way to insanity like the rest of us :)

Shane

Jenova

Enlightened
lol
Yeh already got a mag85 and mag11 + mag with aw6v globe thier all good fun

got a little cheap "MXDL 5w Superbright Waterproof USA" that i have modded changed the LED to a SEOUL and put in a 5 more controller board with 2 x cr123's

Already spoke to Lux about a battery pack ;) amd already spoke to download about the multisink and led's just need some $$$ lol