A different Mag Mod

gothed

Newly Enlightened
From my experience: are those little 5mm led the most efficient out there?

in other words will 10 5 mm leds be more efficient then one led that draws the same power?

Browsing on this forum the goal always seems to be to find a light with ridiculous brightness :devil: (can't say i'm innocent)

but it occurred to me, what if the power goes out, oh wait i have my ROP or what not. 1 hour later im lost in the cold dark rain :(

Now I have a craftsman LED light that is a little less bright then a stock minimag, not much, but I have had it for 9 months now, now and it has been used as a general night light and work light, I suppose 10 - 20 minutes of runtime a day is fair.

This inspired me to build a 3 D Maglite that is in brightness somewhere between a minimal and a 2 cell mag lite but with a runtime of 100 or 200 hours.

is such a thing possible? if so, do I have to use 5 mm leds?

thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Cree Q5 should be far more efficient, meaning if you drive it to put out the same amount of light as a 5mm LED, it will do so while using far less power.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
A Cree Q5 should be far more efficient, meaning if you drive it to put out the same amount of light as a 5mm LED, it will do so while using far less power.

so an LED I can drive at what ever and it still puts out the same color temperature? just less of it?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked out the smjled, I GET CRAZY LONG RUN TIMES WITH THOSE

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I don't think i want a drop in, id rather do something myself, more fun

thanks though : )

kurni

Enlightened
@ 350mA assuming Q5 Vf = 3.2v & driver efficiency 85%, power consumption would be 350 * 3.2 / .85 = 1318.

If you use 6D M@g using alks you have 9v, so input current = 1318 / 9 = 146mA. At this rate Energizer should have 13000mAh, so you'll end up with 13000 / 146 = 89 hours.

You can do better using Rebel, but those *******s are SMALL; I can't solder them properly by hand (I'm sure there are others who can).

gothed

Newly Enlightened
@ 350mA assuming Q5 Vf = 3.2v & driver efficiency 85%, power consumption would be 350 * 3.2 / .85 = 1318.

If you use 6D M@g using alks you have 9v, so input current = 1318 / 9 = 146mA. At this rate Energizer should have 13000mAh, so you'll end up with 13000 / 146 = 89 hours.

You can do better using Rebel, but those *******s are SMALL; I can't solder them properly by hand (I'm sure there are others who can).

I thought the LED takes 3.2 Volts, how can I drive it with 9?

thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You use a buck driver to lower the voltage, like this cheap one(I wouldn't suggest that one if you want a long running regulated light).

White LEDs run form 2.7-4v for a single die white LED.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
You use a buck driver to lower the voltage, like this cheap one(I wouldn't suggest that one if you want a long running regulated light).

White LEDs run form 2.7-4v for a single die white LED.

ok, so I need a regulator and a rebel, mhh sounds easy :thinking:

thanks guys

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the Seoul P4, easier to solder and a better emitting pattern to make use of the reflector. You could use 3D cells and this driver. On low I'm guessing the runtime to be around 100 hours and you would also have medium and high if you needed output.

Have you though about a Joule Thief with a 5MM LED with a 1D battery. Runtime would probably be in the 1000s of hours but the light itself is not very bright.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest the Seoul P4, easier to solder and a better emitting pattern to make use of the reflector. You could use 3D cells and this driver. On low I'm guessing the runtime to be around 100 hours and you would also have medium and high if you needed output.

Have you though about a Joule Thief with a 5MM LED with a 1D battery. Runtime would probably be in the 1000s of hours but the light itself is not very bright.

thanks gunner, but keep in mind that this is supposed to be for an emergency situation, like a hurricane, I don't know how usefull the joule thief would be.

is it even as bright as a minimag?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Joule Thief is dimmer then the Minimag Incan but it does produce enough light to navigate and has a very long runtime.

I think this KD driver might suit you well. This DX driver(testing) has an even lower low and should have over 200 hours of runtime on low, but it might have a confusing User Interface.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
The Joule Thief is dimmer then the Minimag Incan but it does produce enough light to navigate and has a very long runtime.

I think this KD driver might suit you well. This DX driver(testing) has an even lower low and should have over 200 hours of runtime on low, but it might have a confusing User Interface.

thanks ill really need something that doesn't have 20 modes, 4 or 5 are plenty

thanks