Surefire L6/KL6?

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the Surefire L6 or just the KL6 head. They're not on the Surefire website...probably hasn't been on there for a while. I used to have an L6 and it was great...plus, I could use the KL6 LED on my M6.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly they're now discontinued. The Kx5 was supposed to take It's place, but that's on hold as of now.

You will see a couple for sale on BST most of the time for great prices.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just a note to say that the KX5 bezel was/is intended to replace the KL5 bezel when SureFire update their L5.

The L6 (KL6) bezel has not known update path at this point.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Then what exactly happened to the KL6/L6? Did surefire just decide to discontinue it? Or has it been scrapped for the time being till upgrade?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a note to say that the KX5 bezel was/is intended to replace the KL5 bezel when SureFire update their L5.

The L6 (KL6) bezel has not known update path at this point.

Thanks for the clarification Size15s.

Will Surefire be sticking with optics instead of reflectors from now on, would a bigger optic in a KL6 produce a more powerful beam than the Kx5? (hypothetically speaking)

Thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
Will Surefire be sticking with optics instead of reflectors from now on, would a bigger optic in a KL6 produce a more powerful beam than the Kx5? (hypothetically speaking)
Thanks
SureFire have shown that are happy using reflectors and optics. Interesting times ahead for those wanting to speculate what SureFire may do to replace the KL6...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall, a few people transplanted the emitter with SSCP4 and Cree X-RE emitters with fantastic results. Thats really all Surefire needs to do. But if they do that to the L5, it would make the L6 unnecessary unless they market the increased throw and runtime. In my opinion, they could run a SSCP4 or Q5 Cree based L5 at around 750-800mah and the L6 at 1.1-1.2a because of the increased heatsinking ability of the larger head, but thats just me dreaming.

JediNight

Newly Enlightened
It's a shame, my L6 is one of my most used lights.
It's taken a beating while camping and rafting, yet
it has never failed me.

Great light, Try grabbing one on BST if you get a chance!

John

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
Quick bump.
Ive seen a few L6's for sale, and everybody says they are 65 lumens. The 2006 cataog listed 100 lumens. Did they ever reach the 100 lumens, and how can you tell from looking at them?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Quick bump.
Ive seen a few L6's for sale, and everybody says they are 65 lumens. The 2006 cataog listed 100 lumens. Did they ever reach the 100 lumens, and how can you tell from looking at them?
They were always 100 lumens. It's just SureFire took a precautionary approach when the L6 (and others) were first published in the catalog. SureFire didn't have the time to establish the output rating and used an incorrectly calibrated integrating sphere to measure the output. All they felt they could say was that the output was at least that of the P60.

Once the L2, L4, L5, L6 and L7 were in production SureFire were able to test the output of a representative sample and gain confidence that increasing the output ratings was the right thing to do.

Note that SureFire does not use 'maximum' or 'peak' output ratings - in the case of the KL6 100 lumens is a representative rating and it is more than likely the actual output of any given KL6 will exceed the rating.

Al

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The KL6 is an interesting setup. While is has a generous head diameter and overall mass compared to other SureFire led lights it actually does not handle heat well. CM and I have discussed this problem and we both have noted extreme drop off in output after being turned on, as much as 20%. What we finally concluded was the best setup for the KL6 head is a Cree, or Seoul emiter. The real advantage being the large reflector inherent in the KL6 design putting out great lux, and less heat generated by the Cree and Seoul emiters due to the lower wattage presented to the emiters, compared to the stock Lux V. I currently am using a Cree P4 emitter, and am looking forward to a good low vf R bin Cree.

My point is that the L6/Kl6 may start out at 100 lumens, or even 120 lumens, but will drop off quickly after startup.

Bill

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had the KL5 before. Very nice tint, good throw and even sidespill. Then I sold that and bought the KL6-milky edition spotting a SSC USWOH and recalibrated circuitry boosted to deliver 1Amp to the led. Everything else being standard. All I can say is that comparing the KL5 to the KL6, much prefer the bigger head (more clean cut looks) and with the bigger reflector a much nicer beam pattern. It throws very well and the SSC is very white.
As for heat having a SSC in there helps. If it was a Lux, I am sure the heat will be more....Its a keeper IMO

who

Newly Enlightened
All of my L4, L5, and L6 are newer samples, thus probably have the latest LED bin. All of them are at least 120 lumens or more. How do I know? I use a simple ceiling bounce test, with the NovaTac 120P as the bench mark. They all are brighter than the 120P, plus a few L2D, P1D CE, and a few Cree drop-ins.

The L6 is the easiest Surefire to mod. Unscrew three screws from the back, and you are done. Even the current can be bump up to 1A with a simple resistor change.

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
The KL6 is an interesting setup. While is has a generous head diameter and overall mass compared to other SureFire led lights it actually does not handle heat well. CM and I have discussed this problem and we both have noted extreme drop off in output after being turned on, as much as 20%. What we finally concluded was the best setup for the KL6 head is a Cree, or Seoul emiter. The real advantage being the large reflector inherent in the KL6 design putting out great lux, and less heat generated by the Cree and Seoul emiters due to the lower wattage presented to the emiters, compared to the stock Lux V. I currently am using a Cree P4 emitter, and am looking forward to a good low vf R bin Cree.

My point is that the L6/Kl6 may start out at 100 lumens, or even 120 lumens, but will drop off quickly after startup.

Bill

How many minutes do you have till output drops off ? Is there a easy fix, and is it worth having a mod done ?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Drop off starts as soon as light is turned on. Really only something you can notice with a lightmeter. Modding with a Cree stopped drop off for me. I had originally noticed drop off with stock Lux V, but thought that it was a fluke, so modded it with a WWOH Lux V and upped current to 1.1 amps to led. Well I really saw a drastic drop, quickly, so I had it modded to a P4 Cree set for 1 amp to the led. Much, much better, with very little drop off in output and a flat runtime. The reflector is perfect for a Cree, nice and deep.

Bill

Mountain Man

Newly Enlightened
Drop off starts as soon as light is turned on. Really only something you can notice with a lightmeter. Modding with a Cree stopped drop off for me. I had originally noticed drop off with stock Lux V, but thought that it was a fluke, so modded it with a WWOH Lux V and upped current to 1.1 amps to led. Well I really saw a drastic drop, quickly, so I had it modded to a P4 Cree set for 1 amp to the led. Much, much better, with very little drop off in output and a flat runtime. The reflector is perfect for a Cree, nice and deep.

Bill

Who do you reomend to do the Cree setup ? Is it reasonably priced ?

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone share the resistor to current output equation for the L6 circuit? I'd like to increase the current and have a few SMD resistors laying around :D

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the Surefire L6 or just the KL6 head. They're not on the Surefire website...probably hasn't been on there for a while. I used to have an L6 and it was great...plus, I could use the KL6 LED on my M6.
Check the 'SureFire products 2009' thread out. The new M3L is going to replace the venerable L6.