Looking for a US made product and comparing 2 lights

umberto

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 2 123 light....I'm lookng at the Romisen RC-F4, RC-E4, RC-G4 or the Trustfire TR-C2

these are both around $15-$18....is there a US made light that would be comparable and how much more $$ would it be ...would like to be under $25...exist?

thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think there is any that will compare. They are all either made in China or don't have a Cree/Seoul/Rebel LED.

umberto

Newly Enlightened
really? there are no US lights that have a Cree or Rebel?

does anyone have any knowledge of the Romisen models or the Trustfire?.....the Trustfire seems to be brighter and have a longer runtime...any comments?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I meant in that price range and you specifications. Of course there are US made lights with the Cree and Seoul LEDs, with the new Surefire E2L as an example.

This thread might help.

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
Hard to define comparable. There are some quality us flashlights - but they really are not "comparable". That said, I doubt many here would whine if they were given an hds or a novatac. - both very nice 1 123 lights. Some might complain if they were given a surefire, but they have many followers. On the smaller side, peak and arc are out there - but they are not direct competition either (not everything it about candlepower and throw - they do what they are designed to do well).

Not made in US, but the orb's are pretty sweet looking as well - pretty sure they are not made in china.

On issue with less expensive lights is that the emitter and led become a greater % of the total cost of the light. Made in US, requires >50% cost of product to be incurred in US. That is probably nearly impossible to pull off on cheaper lights since the led and emitter are probably both imported. - Of course on the truly cheaper lights, US made packaging can be expensive enough to make a fully imported light qualify as made in US.

anyway, I am a newbe myself - so would really like a better answer to your question as well - so consider this a bump.

umberto

Newly Enlightened
being a newbie with this, I am not sure which companies are domestic and which are not and which lights are really made domestically....I like the idea of buying US made but it is difficult sometimes. I went out of my way to make sure I bought a US car in 1993, a Dodge Neon, only to find out at delivery that it was made in mexico...so which is more 'american'...a US car made in mexico or a Honda made in tennessee....the lines are blurred....so was curious as to which companies are domestic and I was going to search their product line for a 2X 123 battery light that hopefully would not be beyond my budget

that being said, if I do not find one, I am still thinking between the Romisens and the Trustfire, I but I think I should start a new thread about that.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Some might complain if they were given a surefire, but they have many followers.
I wouldn't complain if I was sent a SF. I'd even take one ran over by a steamroller, cause I'd send it in for a warranty claim!:twothumbs Even if they said no it would be funny to get the letter in response and frame it.

Delij

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a 2 123 light....I'm lookng at the Romisen RC-F4, RC-E4, RC-G4 or the Trustfire TR-C2

these are both around $15-$18....is there a US made light that would be comparable and how much more $$ would it be ...would like to be under $25...exist?

thanks

Inova has several 2x123 lights. American made. Prices start around $30 I think (X5). American made and while not the brightest for the buck, or the most efficient, they certainly are only a fraction of the cost of most Surefires....although you can get the plastic (G2?) Surefire for mid $30s....but it is not an LED light, and this is the LED forum, so I'm assuming you're looking for an LED light?

I have four different Inova lights (5 if you count my keychain light). My XO3 is underated here IMO....it is supposedly 82 lumens, but is as bright as my Fenix P1 Cree with a better throw (IMO). The X5 is a work of art, though not as bright. But bright enough for most purposes. and runs forever - I carry an Inova X-1 which is under $20 at Target. Not bright at all by today's standards, but very useful and prefered by many....all depends on your needs. (not a 2x123...a single AA).

All of the Inovas are built like tanks. They are built to take 2000 pounds of crushing weight. I love my little Fenix P1 lights, but with 2000 pounds on them I think they'd come out about as thick as a dime.

Not sure where Brinkman is made, but they have a Xenon incan that takes 2x123 and is about $20-$25 I think (Walmart). It is the Maxfire model.

Peace,
D.

Last edited:

umberto

Newly Enlightened
where is a good site to look at/buy Inova lights....their site is real slow and does not give lux/lumens/beam description (if flood or spot)

so US is SureFire and inova...just those 2 ?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I would recommend checking out Peak LED Solutions. made in the US and built very well with numerous options - AAA, AA, CR2, 123 etc... long run time, high power, ultra high power, and super ultra high power configurations - SSC P4 led option - and currently on sale through Christmas.

chee

Newly Enlightened
where is a good site to look at/buy Inova lights....their site is real slow and does not give lux/lumens/beam description (if flood or spot)

so US is SureFire and inova...just those 2 ?

I think batteryjunction.com has a sale on Inova lights. I've got a T3 (3x123) and a T2 (2x123) and they're both great lights but the T2 runs quite hot.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the X0 rather than T2.

Last edited:

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
Last week I was on the quest for a made in the US flashlight - I could not see anywhere on the Innova site that they were advertising they were made domestically. I would really be exited if someone could confirm where I missed it.
---
Ok, found it - "Made in the USA with US and globally secured components"

Last edited:

Gaffle

Enlightened
Streamlight is a USA company. Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux is still my favorite light (I don't have a lot of lights yet..). Even though it has a Luxeon, it still is hard to beat. Size is a bit larger than the 123 lights. Has a deep reflector so the throw is great. This light has a lux reading (at the hotspot) of 3,000. That is pretty good.

1. Made in USA (website states "Assembled in USA")
2. Lifetime warranty (w00t!:thumbsup:)
3. Longevity (much more durable than the cheapo stuff)
4. Price from BatteryJunction is $28.95, NOT including the CPF discount
5. Everyone should own one of these lights ;)

NickDrak

Enlightened

thanks

You will not find a US made 2xCR123 light in that price range, but the Surefire 6PL or G2L both fit what you are looking for except for the price ($60-$75). They will both last you a life-time, and while I will agree that they are not comparable with the chinese made lights that you listed, it is because they are a quality product, not made in a sweat shop. The Surefire is made in the United States, by American workers that work for an American company. You get what you pay for. If you want a light that you can trust, that will last forever (lifetime warranty), then invest in a Surefire.

If you want a light that is really bright, and might impress your friends (if it actually works), buy a $15 chinese light, and then buy another after it breaks, and probably 10-15 extra $15 chinese lights to carry with you when it breaks again, and again....

Now, rest assured some idiot will come along and say "America make really crappy cars though, so their flashlights suck too":whistle:

umberto

Newly Enlightened
Gatsby...where is the Peak line on sale?....Ok, I'm leaning to spending more to support a US company and get better quality and reliability, it is just I don't use a flashlight except for the rare power failure or if looking for something in my basement once in a while, but want to keep one for my car just in case

NickDrak

Enlightened
Dunno if that line would have been born if you hadn't used it.

Trust me, do a search and look at all of the "why Surefire", Surefire vs. Brand X threads and the like. Many of them tend to turn into not only Surefire bashing threads, but just full blown American industry bashing threads.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gatsby...where is the Peak line on sale?....Ok, I'm leaning to spending more to support a US company and get better quality and reliability, it is just I don't use a flashlight except for the rare power failure or if looking for something in my basement once in a while, but want to keep one for my car just in case

If thats the case get a simple minimag LED for $20. Not the brightest thing in the world, but plent bright, extremely well built, Made in the USA. And uses common cheap AA batteries.

They might be looked down by many cpf'ers. But thats because they are enthusiast, fact is its a great quality light for the money.