fenix l0d ce/10440

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i love my ultrafire 10440 light kit. for $32 it came with batteries, a charger, and the light. but the aaa kiadomain outshines it by 5-10% although less quality on the kd by far (light flickers when turned off, no tailspring)

now that i've broke into the aaa size lights, i want the real deal.
the lod ce.

everyone says it's ok to run on 10440 right?
on a cree it's fine, on a rebel it runs too hot and loses its modes cause of the vf being lower than the driver, or something like that.
ok, so cree it is.

but, is there a better fenix around the corner with a q5?
id hate to buy this one and get the announcement around christmas time :(
any rumors either way?

i figure now that i have the battery kit for 10440's, it's a great time to buy the little fenix monster.

it will outshine the new awesomely bright kiadomain aaa right?
i hear it's as bright as the p1d ce, but less runtime.
sound about right?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
also how do the modes work in the single aaa.
is it like the l2d ce, cause i love that one
low, medium, high, then sos.
twist head and it's turbo then strobe.

please tell me the aaa is like that!

oregon

Enlightened
LOD CE feeding on 10440, modes: medium, low, high, strobe and SOS.

I EDC this light and consider it the bomb for its size vs brightness.

It will get hot on high but wow o wow does shine brightly.

oregon

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
when you turn it off and then back on, does it then advance to the next mode or turn back on at the same mode.

i will use high 90% of the time and that's all i really want it to come on as. i don't want to press a button four times to get to high.

thanks for the link.
what is our code for discount again?

p.s. the aaa fenix q4 will run on a 10440 right?
instead of 75 lumen max, what do you think the max lumens will be?
maybe 180 like the p1d?
they are both 3.6 volts!

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
when you turn it off and then back on, does it then advance to the next mode or turn back on at the same mode.

i will use high 90% of the time and that's all i really want it to come on as. i don't want to press a button four times to get to high.

thanks for the link.
what is our code for discount again?

p.s. the aaa fenix q4 will run on a 10440 right?
instead of 75 lumen max, what do you think the max lumens will be?
maybe 180 like the p1d?
they are both 3.6 volts!

It has no memory, and will always restart in Medium. With 10440's, that will seem like high, and high will be like turbo, probably 150ish lumens, but only advisable in short bursts. The LOD CE Q5 says "uses same circuit at LOD CE" so it should work on 10440's. different driver than the P1D. Code is CPF8

oregon

Enlightened

It is a twisty without a memory so rapid off/on advances thru the 5 modes. Off for a bit then on starts in medium always.

Notice that when light is off that you try to push the light together from each end until it won't light and then it is safe to pocket. If you don't do this then you run the risk of having it come on in your pocket should it become compressed by your movements and could drain or melt your stuff.

oregon

lumenal

Enlightened
The Lod ce is a great little light.

But be wary of using 10440s in it - there have been lots of discussions one way or the other concerning premature LED degradation because of 10440 use.

Perhaps a more informed (vocal?) member will chime in...

frankr

Newly Enlightened
4sevens has said they will not ever have a LOD Q5 because it's Vf is too high for a AAA, among other reasons.....

Does anyone know if the Cree R2 will have a lower Vf? Low enought??

fyi My LOD CE is my favorite light! I have been running it with a 10440

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i just bought one!
god i have like 30 flashlights now, 18 of them 2aa or smaller sizes.
lol, you guys are expensive!!!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

No you won't. ;) When you see how bright it is with a 10440 on high, you'll soon realize that much light is not necessary for most tasks. Besides, runtime is only about 10-15 minutes. Most only use high for the shock and awe factor! :drool: :faint:

frisco

Enlightened
I have a couple LOD CE running on 10440's

Great set-up! Frickin bright !!!!

I only run them on High for a minute or two at a time....

Medium and Low takes care of most tasks.

Nice wide beam for real work !

frisco

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had all the Fenix AAA lights from the start. Always run them on 10440's and never had a problem apart from slight flickering on low on some. My Rebel one works fine and all the modes work perfectly. I have also run all of them on max from a full cell to empty without problems.
As for shortning the LED life, if it shortens it by 50% so what! Even if the life shortens to 1,000 hours you would have to have it turned on to full brightness all night long for 4 months before it went.
I recon that people need a bit more perspective on LED life. Building lights that are on for 18-24 hours a day perhaps but in a handheld AAA torch that's used from full to flat ( 20- 30 mins ) every night.... Even 1,000 hour LED would last 6 years.

todo

Newly Enlightened
I've had all the Fenix AAA lights from the start. Always run them on 10440's and never had a problem apart from slight flickering on low on some. My Rebel one works fine and all the modes work perfectly. I have also run all of them on max from a full cell to empty without problems.
As for shortning the LED life, if it shortens it by 50% so what! Even if the life shortens to 1,000 hours you would have to have it turned on to full brightness all night long for 4 months before it went.
I recon that people need a bit more perspective on LED life. Building lights that are on for 18-24 hours a day perhaps but in a handheld AAA torch that's used from full to flat ( 20- 30 mins ) every night.... Even 1,000 hour LED would last 6 years.

Jay how does the Rebel LOD compare to the LOD-CE both running 10440's.
I've been wanting to order that new red lod but if it can't handle the 10440's as well as the original cree models I'm not interested.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Cree is the Q2 version. I just tried them next to each other on fresh cells. The Cree is warmer white with a bit more throw. The Rebel is cool white with not quite the throw but close and a better beam due to the textured reflector. As for lumens, it's hard to see any difference. I'd say it was down to the shade of white you want.
Don't have my Q4 Cree yet. Shipping next week I hope.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long will a fully charged 10440 hold it's charge if left in a light like the LOD? Meaning, if I don't use my LOD for 6 months (pretty much no chance of that I'm sure), will the 10440 still have a good charge on it?

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
I've been using cheap Ultrafire 10440's ever since I got my L0DCE last year and typically go about 2-3 months between battery changes. I do tend to use it sparingly and change the battery more out of wanting to be prepared than actually seeing any dimming due to a low charge. 6 months might be doable with a good brand, but I wouldn't push it if I don't have to. KuoH
How long will a fully charged 10440 hold it's charge if left in a light like the LOD? Meaning, if I don't use my LOD for 6 months (pretty much no chance of that I'm sure), will the 10440 still have a good charge on it?

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium-ion self-discharges about 5% in the first 24 hours and 1-2% per month afterwards. There are other factors that come into play such as temperature, cell age, and whether or not the battery has a protection circuit. With a protection circuit, you'd need to add another 3% discharge per mo. The 10440 does not have a protection circuit. That said, it would seem that in your case, the cell would have 85-90% charge after 6 mo.