SF L2 A GREAT MOD?

Spence

Enlightened
Hi guys,
I've got a new SF L1 CREE which I'm thrilled with, performance, quality of beam, size and all. However, I just received a new SF L2 (15 low and 100 high lumen ratings) and am less than excited about its' performance and an annoying slight shadow artifact in the center of the beam. SF techno says they're all that way. I'd like to get some feedback as to having my L2 modified with, perhaps a CREE Q5 or equivalent. I don't really want to get exotic with the mod, I'd really like to noticeably improve its' output and quality. Any comments, suggestions and sources with estimates would greatly be appreciated. I've only been an enthusiast now for less than a year with a modest collection of assorted lights but I've really been bitten by the SureFire bug.
:broke:
grinser2.gif

Thanks again.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Spence, if you do get a mod job, please tell us all how it worked out - and what it ends up costing. I like the L2 a lot, think it has a fine beam, am not bothered by the almost undetectable center shadow in the real world, but the runtime could use some serious improvement.
- Bill

Spence

Enlightened
If I get my L2 modded, I'll be sure to write about it for you. Actually, I've settled into it more or less. Just bought the only SF U2 I could find in these parts and It's a great light w/ all usable levels. My contact there says the shortage is due to military contract being filled for U2's. Also, someone wrote in w/ clue...fishing depts of sporting goods stores for different sized split rings...found just what I needed. Another find...Ace & True Value for ball chain varieties (even black), I use ball chain lanyards allot, especially for my SF's.

:nana: :oops:

Brozneo

Enlightened
Milky has alot of different options for L2 mods.... Throw him an email or PM but first have a look at his threads on here so you can see what he can offer!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spence SF has had the U2 on and off backorder for at least a year now, production isn't as high as the demand (funny no one seems to know where they go?)