LiteFlux LF2 -- Need More Data

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I believe that I've read all the post both here and on the Market Place concerning this light, however I still don't have a sense of its acceptance by the folks who own it. I understand it's an AAA-based light, with multiple levels. I've read that some characterize it as a light having a very difficult interface, where others seem to be OK with it, especially once they have it set to where they want it. I like the idea of this light having a real low mode, however I haven't been able to understand how low it actually goes.

So, can I get some comments of those who own or have owned the current generation LF2? I've always liked the AAA form-factor, however I've never owned the LiteFlux LF2.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one last week and I have to say I was surpised at how much I liked it. I like the preset levels where they are so I have not reprogrammed it. The beam pattern is great. The hotspot fades into fairly bright sidespill and there are no artifacts in the one I received. Unfortunaley I don't have any runtimes. The UI for SOS, Strobe, reprogramming etc is OK. I don't find it that intuitive but it is certainly learnable. The thing I like about this light is that it operates as a simple two stage light. Twist for low, twist more for high. To get to SOS or Strobe you have to do a series of low/high cycles which is fine by me since I hate having these modes as part of the regular UI like other lights. Overall I really like the LF2 and I think it is worth a try.

bray

Newly Enlightened
i owned it and edced it for a while, it was okay but nothing special in my opinion, it was more of a hassle with the interface, i generally edc my draco 10440 instead, the low on the lf2 was much lower tho than the draco and it had amuch higher freq of pwm. on another note, it seemed quite large for an aaa and not nearly as bright as i was expecting, hope this helps

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
I love using my LF2. I have the SSC-P4 version, instead of the Cree. My LF2 is the latest version with the added user memory mode -- it basically remembers what level is set for User Adjustable mode, even through power offs and battery changes.

The user interface is nice, once you get used to it. You can download the PDF manuals from the liteflux.com/english/product.php web page. I've used the light with akaline AAA's but I prefer the added power from using 10440 Li-Ion rechargeable cells.

I use it on the lowest low setting all the time. Sorry, no light meter so I can't tell you how low it really goes but it's great for wandering around the house late at night when all the lights are off and you don't want to totally wreck your night vision. The lowest low barely make the led glow.

The included light wand attachment is nice. Liteflux has given me great service. One of my Liteflux's came without the spare silicone grease and I emailed them to ask how much it would cost to buy some and they responded the next business day and said they would drop some in the mail from Taiwan to the USA right away! Very nice customer service.

I would estimate that I have the LF2 setup with P1 as lowest low, P2 at about 30% and User Adjustable mode at 50%. The default Strobe and SOS settings are fine the way they are from the factory.

LiteFlux's also have a low-warning indicator at 3.0V when using Li-Ion rechargeable cells (this is an optional setting that you can toggle on or off) and I've used this setting already. The low-warning indicator also works for Ni-MH cells at 0.8V, although I haven't tried that yet.
The built-in voltage display function is also totally geeky cool.

A happy LiteFlux owner/user

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LF-3 but it has the same UI. Make sure you get the latest LF-2 with the memory feature on the user settable output.

It is really nice to set a light to the output/runtimes that you want and gives it great flexibility. To me, the UI was awkward to "figure out" at first but it is not awkward to use.

The low on the LF-3 goes much lower than the low output on Fenix lights. I dont have a light meter but it can be set low enough to not disturb night vision when navigating.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love my LF2. Yeah, the interface is a little frustrating at first... but it's really easy once you get the hang of it. I use the "head press" method to change modes and for programming... makes it much easier. It's one of my all-time favorite lights, and I think it should be nominated for "Light of the Year"!!

EugeneJohn

Newly Enlightened
My LF2 is the 'older' version with the CREE and no memory on user selectable mode. It lives on my keychain and goes most everywhere with me. I like it's really low, low and it's high is as much as I could expect from an AAA light. The lowest setting will let you see with dark adapted eyes without messing up your night vision.

How low is low?

I've never used my Gossen Luna-Pro F for measurements other than f-stop and shutter speed, but here goes a quick and dirty test.

If I understand the chart on the back of the meter correctly( the instructions are long gone), the LF2's lowest setting reads approx. 4 lux at 40cm with NiMH.

Since I'm not sure if that measurement has much correlation to reality, for comparison, my Fenix P3D-CE at lowest setting reads approx. 500 lux at the same distance. Seven 'stops' greater than the LF2. A 'fauxton' from DX, approx. 233 lux.

A more subjective measure, I can see color with the LF2's lowest setting up to a few feet, but by ten feet it's all rods.... just shades of gray.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like mine very much. The low goes low enough to be able to look at the die. Think almost VB-16 low. It did take a couple days to get comfortable with the interface, but after I got it set, it was never a hassle. Toss in one of Daywalker's SS diffuser cap keyrings (he still has a couple available I'm told, so get em quick) and the LF2 becomes my perfect AAA light.

moon lander

Enlightened
Love my lf2. the interface is awesome. amazing features like voltage check, overdischarge protection. fully programmable. the beam is perfect for everything except distance throwing. it took maybe 20 minutes with the manual to fully understand how to use all the features, but totally worth it.

Last edited:

Grubbster

Enlightened
TIN, the low is just slightly brighter than the low on a Novatac EDC. I would say it is about .1 lumen by comparison.
I set my levels when I got the light and have not fooled with the programable part since. I have no need for strobes and such, so I just use the light as a three level twisty. I have the over discharge protection turned on and use a lithium rechargeable and occasionally use the voltage check feature to see what level the battery is.
I have the SSC version and it throws a very wide, floody beam. Perfect for what this light is, an up-close edc.

Tubor

Enlightened
It's my favourite lite :D

Programmable strobe as well (you don't see that very often). In fact everything about it is programmable. A very versatile AAA torch.

I've just ordered the LF3 and may order the LF5 too if that becomes available.

The only thing I'd say is that the runtime on alkalies isn't as good as it could be so just use NiMh or 10440's preferably (if you learn how to use Li-Ion's safely) .

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks again everyone. I think I'll pass on this one for now. I really like the ability to go really low in a AAA format, however the light sounds like it may be a bit to complicated for my liking.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my LF2, have now purchased a total of 4 of them for myself and gifts. It has been the longest survivor of my keychain and I don't see it leaving any time soon. Once you customize it to where you want it how can you beat it? Its not like you can custom order a light with EXACTLY the settings you deem appropriate for your needs. This is the only way to make that a reality. The finish holds up well and the beam is perfect. As long as you are comfortable learning the programming you can't go wrong with it.

Gatsby

Enlightened
TiN - some good feedback thus far and the low is truly low. As for the user interface - it is as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. Let me explain. There are a variety of features, much like the HDS EDC, but many of them are either toggles (turn on or off overdischarge protection), or are relatively seldom used (battery voltage check, strobe, sos) that you won't be accessing them regularly. You can program the two primary levels, and the third is easily accessible with a double twist.

If you like to fiddle with the levels a lot, then you'll find the light somewhat frustrating, as getting into the program mode takes some patience and a bit of initial fiddling. It's not the riddle of the Sphynx, but not particularly intuitive (but how many other than the U2, Titan, Proton style one level adjustable up or down really is?).

If you consider it a two level light (with third level available with minimal effort) that you can also, should you choose to do so, set the two levels to your desired points, you'll like it a lot. I have an LF2 and an LF5 and they both work well and as designed - and I use them almost exclusively as a two level light, with P1 set to around 5%, P2 to around 40% and I keep the user adjustable level set to max for the occasional burst. On whole, once set it is more user friendly than a flupic based light or Fenix (other than the L1T v2) which require multiple on/offs. Twist for P1, twist more for P2, twist twice for user adjustable (which in my case I don't do that often), twist once to go back to P1/P2.

The user adjustable mode basically is in P1 wherever you've left it (if you have the memory version), move to P2 and it will ramp up, twist twice to toggle it to ramp down and the same applies. But you don't have to do anything in this mode other than set it to a desired level and leave it there for a third level, if you don't want to ramp up/down. It does give you some flexibility, however, without having to go into program mode for P1 or P2.

On NiMH or 10440s it is a real winner and the overdischarge protection is a nice feature. The beam is excellent for this use light (I have the P4 version) and the build quality is quite nice overall.

If you like the Titan style interface - and I think you were still a bit lukewarm to it - this is not going to satisfy you in the same way - as even in user adjustable mode there is some toggling to go from ramp up to ramp down - but it isn't bad and not a bad compromise. If you like having two/three programmable levels and don't tend to want to change them a lot then it is a great light - and you CAN change it if you want to, I just would not recommend it as a frequent occurrence.

I tend to think that if I have a digital light I might as well have the option of choosing the levels rather than taking what is stock.

Last edited:

fasuto

Enlightened
I really like the ability to go really low in a AAA format, however the light sounds like it may be a bit to complicated for my liking.

I have one, the only part that may be complicated is the programing, but you only have to do once, and it's not so dificult.

You can program 3 levels (in the new version, i have the old one).
To access this levels:
1 turn: level 1 (with the level you prgrammed)
1 turn more: level 2 (again programed with your desires). You can turn from off to this level directly.

From level 1, one turn, and back to 1 is level 3

Very easy, you can do with one hand.

If you need strobe or sos, easiest way for me is go to level 2 and press the tail 3 or 4 times.

I think, like others, that the worst of this light is find "level 2" quickly in darkness.

And regarding low, like someone said, is the best low toghether with the VB-16 (waigon version).