Newbie Flashlight question, E2E

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to buy a surefire light, or one similar, but I am a little confused on the lumens. Do the lumens indicate the brightness of the light output? I thought it had to do with the color of light being emitted.

I was recommended the E2E, pocket sized and bright. Does anyone have any other suggestions or complaints about the E2E?
Thanks.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
In short, Lumens is overall output and Lux is throw. Check here.

What batteries, Size, Price range and output do you want?

And also, what light do you currently have(the Common 2D light is around 15 lumens)?

:welcome:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the smallest flashlight with the greatest light output (brightest). I know that the E2E and some others are palm sized which would be great and dont want to spend more than 100.

I currently own a CMG Infinity Ultra: http://www.dansdata.com/ledlights15.htm
I bought it REI and it works well but only when its really really dark. Dont know how many lumens.

Also, I will take a look at the welcome mat for some additional info.
Thanks.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
So I checked out some of the fenix lights and they look really powerful and small. This website provided some good reviews of some I hadnt considered:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html

My only concern is the way you turn some of them on and off. You twist the head of the light instead of clicking an on/off button at the back of the light. What is everyones preference?

Also, I took a look at the Fenix P3d but it looks larger than I want. What is as good or better but smaller? Fenix P1 series? anyone?

Thanks

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real question is, what is your preference? Everybody has their own preferences when it comes to a light, and if you tell us what you want, we can help you find a light that you'll like.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The P3D-CE(The Q5 version is the brightest as of now) is actually smaller then the Surefire E2D(and has more output) if you look at the pictures on FLR(P3D-CE, E2D).

Here is how the P3D-CE, L1D-cE, L2D-cE, P2D-CE work. Click = on. Head tight = Turbo mode. Head loose = Normal mode. Tap the tailcap(Or click on and off within 2 seconds) to change modes(Turbo = Turbo-strobe-turbo-strobe and so on, Normal = Low-medium-high-SOS-low-medium and so on). Leave the light off for more then two seconds and the light resets to the firs mode of the series(Head tight or loose). It's much easier then it sounds. Twisting the head should not turn the light on and off unless you twist the heat too much(To the point when the batteries stop making contact with the circuit board) or you have a broken light.

If you are looking for keychain sized, the Fenix L0D-CE(The Q4 version on high would be close to the of the E2D) would be good. Switch the light on and off within 2 seconds to change modes. Leave it ff for more then 2 seconds and the light resets.

What size are you looking for?

Spence

Enlightened
It's a little over your price ceiling at $135, but you couldn't go wrong with the new SureFire L1 Digital Lumamax CREE. It's my all time favorite and I wish I would have known about it when I first started acquiring flashlights.
Check out Battery Junction.com.
Good luck and welcome.

:sick: :twothumbs

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
:welcome: There are several things to consider when buying a light.

Quality
Size
Battery type
Versatility (lego)
Price
Throw vs. Spill
Incan vs. LED
Warranty
Dealer, Etc..

Do some reading and take advice from members here at CPF before you make your decision and then go with YOUR pick. After all, you will be the one paying for the light and using it!! :thumbsup:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Fenix is looking good

I have done some more searching and reading online. It seems as though there are many things to consider and the more I look the more I find. What I would really like is the smallest flashlight with a bright light. So far the Fenix lights seem to offer more possibilities that Surefire. I like the option of having multiple modes. Specifically, I really like the P1D and as well as the P3D.

Battery type:
seems like all use the CR123, some use 1 or 2, but this doesnt seem to make a difference in the light output. What is the real difference between having 1 or 2 batteries other than weight/size?

I also checked out the SureFire L1 but the lumens seem lower than the two Fenix lights I am looking at (Lumens 10/65).
The P1D CE Premium Q5 has 95 lumens -> 180 lumens -> 16 lumens
&
The P3D Premium 100 has 11 lumens -> 50 lumens -> 112 lumens

CREE editions are also brighter and I look like a better a deal

I was originally recommended a SureFire but now I am leaning more towards a Fenix.

Thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks

meuge

Enlightened
Re: Fenix is looking good

Battery type:
seems like all use the CR123, some use 1 or 2, but this doesnt seem to make a difference in the light output. What is the real difference between having 1 or 2 batteries other than weight/size?
The 2-cell lights will have longer runtimes, and because converting voltage down is more efficient than converting up (as far as I know), the runtime of the lights with 2 cells will be higher than 2X that of one cell.
I also checked out the SureFire L1 but the lumens seem lower than the two Fenix lights I am looking at (Lumens 10/65).
Surefire rates their lights based on real output, while Fenix rates them based on theoretical output at the emitter. To get the real numbers for Fenix, you should probably take away 20-25%... which still means that they're brighter than the Surefire you mentioned, just a little less so.
P2D Q5 is a good deal, if you're looking for something small and bright. It's the almost perfect size for everyday carry. The P3D is somewhat larger, and is also brighter (at the highest setting) and has a longer battery life.
I was originally recommended a SureFire but now I am leaning more towards a Fenix.
As many people will surely tell you, they're different beasts, targeted at different markets. The best scenario would be to try both out, and pick the one you prefer.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened

P2D Q5 is a good deal, if you're looking for something small and bright. It's the almost perfect size for everyday carry. The P3D is somewhat larger, and is also brighter (at the highest setting) and has a longer battery life.
[/QUOTE]

Did you mean the P1D Q5?
What is the main difference between the P1D and the P2D. They are both 1 cell lights but one is slightly longer. Why?
Also it seems as though the P1D is brighter, or rather the lumens on the P1D are greater. Does this mean that the P1D is a brighter light?

effulgentOne

Enlightened

What is the main difference between the P1D and the P2D. They are both 1 cell lights but one is slightly longer. Why?
Also it seems as though the P1D is brighter, or rather the lumens on the P1D are greater. Does this mean that the P1D is a brighter light?

The P1D is a twisty (twist the head to turn on and off), while the P2D has a clickie switch on the tailcap, which makes it slightly longer. Which you prefer is personal preference.

The P1D CE Q5 and the P2D CE Q5 are about the same price, and have the same max output, so choose based on which interface you prefer. More lumens does mean more light, but both are rated at 180, which probably equates to around 150 out the front on the light.

The P3D will give you about twice the runtime and slightly more output (you probably won't notice the brightness difference in normal use) in a slightly longer package.

All would be excellent choices IMO. They might not be as durable as a Surefire, but they will be significantly brighter and more efficient.

meuge

Enlightened

Did you mean the P1D Q5?
I suppose the P1D is marginally brighter.

However, the main difference is that the P2D has a rear clickie + bezel twist user interface, while the P1D is strictly a twist-on/off interface. P1D is also slightly smaller than the P2D because it's shorter.

However, because it's just as thick, the size difference is likely to work against it, because even the P2D is pretty small.

I, personally, can't stand multi-level twisty lights, because their UI is annoying... but to each their own.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Thoughts and comments are much appreciated. Thanks

You have no idea how many Surefire vs. Fenix threads we have had on CPF. Most of those threads degrade rather quickly as fans from both Brands weigh in. Truthfully, many of the Regulars (myself included) are sick of those threads. But since you're new, I'll help you out a bit.

Surefire lights use proven technology. If you want the absolute latest & greatest in flashlight technology, look elsewhere. However, if you want a flashlight that you can literally bet your life on, Surefire is the way to go. The overall quality is better than what you'll find in Fenix lights. Whereas a Fenix model might stop working if a bit of dirt gets on the contacts, a Surefire will keep working.... even if covered in mud! Some Surefire clickies have reportedly failed. (Not to be confused with Surefire's Momentary / twist constant-on switches). All I can say is, I have 4 Surefire models with clickies, and none have failed. Surefire is the Brand you turn to for build-quality and rugged reliability.

Fenix lights are Made in China. (Surefires are American). While you don't get the same level of build-quality, you do get lights that can run on more common cells. (No such thing as a AA or AAA Surefire). Fenix models are also less expensive than Surefires. Many Fenix models have multiple brightness levels. Surefires that do have multi-modes, usually have only 2 modes. Some have no need for Surefire's extreme level of reliability, so the cost savings and the use of the latest LED technology is why they buy Fenix models. Simply put, it's all about price and brightness for them.

Lumens:
Surefire measures their lumens out the front, rather than at the emitter. Pelican, PentagonLights, and possibly HDS, all measure lumens out the front too. But Surefire's numbers tend to be conservative. A Surefire model that puts out 65 lumens is usually even brighter than that. But every other company measures their lumens at the emitter. (Including Fenix Lights).

That means that once the bezel is screwed onto the finished light, you get far less lumens out the front; when you turn the light on. This is a common practice in the industry. Personally, I think it stinks. One example of this would be the Streamlight UltraStinger rated at 295 lumens. But what you actually get out the front is closer to 160 lumens. Emitter lumens will always be higher than actual, out the front lumens. Emitter lumens tell you what the light is capable of. Measuring lumens out the front tells you what you realistically get for your hard-earned $$$.

A good rule of thumb is, subtract 1/3 - 1/2 from the lumens ratings given by a flashlight company for any model. (Unless it happens to be Surefire, or one of the other companies specifically mentioned above).

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Monocrom,
so based on the SureFire lights, which one would you recommend that is comparable or better than the P1 or P2D Fenix lights?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info Monocrom,
so based on the SureFire lights, which one would you recommend that is comparable or better than the P1 or P2D Fenix lights?

I'd have to say the Surefire L1 Cree model.

Honestly, the pocket-carry clip on the L1 makes it better for carrying it around on a daily basis. The P1, although short, seems a bit too thick to comfortably carry in a pants pocket. (If it came with a clip, it would really make a difference). The P2D is a nice light. But the L1's use of one cell and pocket clip gives it an edge over the P2D, despite both using a tailcap switch.

Also, despite generally prefering Surefire over Fenix models, I'm far from a Surefire Brand loyalist. I have a Fenix P3D Q5 and a Fenix L0D Rebel on the way, in the mail. But overall, I'd go with the Surefire L1 Cree over those two particular Fenix models.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at the Surefire L1 and although it looks like it would be a great light, I think I had ruled it out because of the price. 135 is a little more than I was willing to spend. What about my original idea of either the E2E or the E1E? What are your thoughts on those?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I took a look at the Surefire L1 and although it looks like it would be a great light, I think I had ruled it out because of the price. 135 is a little more than I was willing to spend. What about my original idea of either the E2E or the E1E? What are your thoughts on those?

I actually own an E2e. Compact (for a 2 cell light), puts out a good beam.

The E1e, I didn't buy it because the barrel is too short for me. But both are quality lights you can count on. Their only negative aspect is that both models are incas, not LEDs. I generally prefer LED lights. If it wasn't out of your price range, I'd definitely recommend the Surefire L4. An excellent LED light that puts out a wall of light!

With inca Surefire models, you'll eventually have to replace the lamp assemblies. (Not just the bulbs). Typically after 30 hours total of continuous use. The one thing I don't like about inca Surefires is that there is no step-down if the batteries become too depleted. The light just goes out with no warning at all. On their LED models, you still get useable light output, once the cells become too depleted to give the light full power. Typically, you'll have a couple of hours to replace the cells with new ones. When my L4's output steps down, it's like a standard Mini-mag on fresh batteries. That's what the lower level of light looks like.

So basically, with those two models, you will eventually have to buy new lamps. There is no step-down light level, so your light might go out suddenly if you've been using it for a long time. And since both models are incas, you could blow a bulb if you accidentally drop your light..... If you can live with those disadvantages, both are excellent choices.