Idea for Cree LED mount..

wildstar87

Enlightened
I was reading the "Making your own thermal expoxy" thread, when someone mentioned using just standard thermal compound underneath the emitter and epoxy on the sides to hold the emitter down.

It got me thinking about how CPUs are held down, then I thought... Hey why couldn't you do that with an LED? The Cree package is almost perfect for that, IMO..

You could have a Heatsink with "clip" that fit over the LED with a hole in the middle that the emitting part of the unit fit through. In addition you could make the clip have the leads for the led, so you just put the thermal paste down, set it down on the heatsink, and screw the "clip" down on top of the Cree emitter, which is automatically contacted by the leads on the clip.

This way, you get the new whizbang bin, you just unscrew the clip, pull the old led off, put the paste on the new one, screw down the clip, and bingo your off and running again. No fuss, no muss, no soldering, etc...

You could even have different clips that were designed for the different LED types, SSC, Luxeon, Edison.

It seems really doable, with someone with the right equipment.. Whaddya think?

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
At first I thought, why bother, most LEDs last 100,000 hours maybe 50,000. Why bother changing them. Then it hit me, yes, if it could be done, it would be good. It doesn't take anyone here very long to see that most people love to upgrade their older LED for a newer bin one rather often. Some much more than others.

It may not be as hard as you think. I would suggest having something like a door hinge with the pin part towards the outside of the heatsink and be able to place it over an emitter and either clip or screw it down towards the center. Little thermal compound under it...should be good to go.

It is an interesting concept that could easily be done. Would like it in a singe, triple and quad setup.

Bob E.

wildstar87

Enlightened
Even if you don't upgrade that often, it would facilitate a much easier mod, since soldering directly to the emitter wouldn't be necessary. But yeah for the guys that want the newest and greatest, it would make swapping out a new bin LED a 30 sec or less deal.

I was just thinking something simple, like two screws that screw down a non-conductive plate (other than the lead contacts) with a hole for the emitter. Could be made out of a lot of things, HA Aluminum, PVC (or whatever plastic that doesn't melt easily), Carbon Fiber even..

Hell if I had the resources, I would do what a lot of these guys do, make and manufacture this stuff for those who wanted it.

It's a free idea... Someone jump on it, and I'll buy it from you... :wave:

:popcorn:....... waiting....