fenix L2D rebel 100 or cree Q5?

pipspeak

Enlightened
I've read the reviews and both seem to be almost on a par, with brightness going to the Q5 (just) and runtime/warmth going to the rebel. Did I get that straight and are there any other factors to consider?

I read somewhere that the cree version should only be used on turbo mode for a max of 10 minutes to avoid overheating the LED but does that also apply to the rebel? Also, do both these premium models come with OP reflectors? (my source for both does not specify)

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Practically speaking, the differences are very subtle. I happen to like the cree beam a little better - cooler and larger hot spot. Also, given my limited modding skills, the Q5 looks much easier to upgrade when R bins emerge. The rebel looks like a soldering challenge.

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
Also, do both these premium models come with OP reflectors? (my source for both does not specify)

The Q5 certainly comes with the option of OP or smooth (www.glowgadgets.com), but the Rebel is showing as being "superceded by the Q5", so your choice may be limited soon if they are not making them anymore.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Practically speaking, the differences are very subtle. I happen to like the cree beam a little better - cooler and larger hot spot. Also, given my limited modding skills, the Q5 looks much easier to upgrade when R bins emerge. The rebel looks like a soldering challenge.

Does that imply the rebel might have a slightly longer effective throw range because of it's narrower hot spot?

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I've had both, bought the cree to replace the rebel and ended up giving the cree away and keeping the rebel. I much prefer the smoothness of the rebel's spot, no rings.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Interesting... it seems there are fans of each. What reflectors were in them both and does the rebel have similar throw to the cree?

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
I can't remember what reflector was in the cree, but there's a op one in my rebel. As far as I can remember they both had similar throw...

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also had both. I much prefer the hot spot smooth change to outer corona. Also the tint on the rebel was a warm white. I much prefer the Rebel 100 over the Q5 in the L2D. I gave the Q5 version to my dad. He loves it.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
with the Q5 having a smooth reflector and slightly higher output I would guess that the Q5 throws further, but the Rebel 100 has a very nice warm tint degrading the Q5 in terms of color rendition

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Does that imply the rebel might have a slightly longer effective throw range because of it's narrower hot spot?

I haven't noticed any difference in throw

One of my P3D's has a smooth reflector and out throws the OP versions. The P3D's and Rebel versions I'm comparing all have OP's.

Last edited: