Best headband for 2aa flashlight?

el_vato

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I have this one, and I have a 2AA mag w/nite ize conversion,using this headband it is nearly useless for up close work, it focus' the light just above your eyes, with no real way to adjust.. maybe others have more to say, but.. get a
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169468
for $20 instead you will probably be much happier.

later...
el_vato

drmaxx

Enlightened
I do not like the nite ize headband too much. As el_vato said, you can not adjust the beam at all. It is a kind of a challenge to get my old fenix (LP1 or something like that) into the rubber band (not quite sure what the proper name for it is). It's mainly made for the Maglights and these are a little more slender. Not quite sure how this works with the more recent fenix lights.

However, the most annoying thing with 1 AA lights in the nite ize headband is, that you have the brightest part of the flashlight in the corner of your eye. Very distracting and just unpleasant.
Others do not have this issue (or don't mind as much as me) - but I am not using the headband at all.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
I use a nite ize headband. Pretty useful for the AA minimag. Another one is the Jakstrap:

http://www.liston.com/ecommerce/display.php?cat=3&zid=1&lid=1&nlst=&olimit=0&key1=&psku=

There are two versions. The original has two loops; a 45 degree angle down and a straight-ahead. If you put it into both at the same time, you'll get something in between. The Jakstrap II has a velcro loop that can handle really wide flashlight body. Also, it is a full elastic band. The night ize is a non-stretchable nylon band.

The Jakstrap is sold by both campmor and eastern mountain sports. Not sure of their shipping arrangements.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used the Nite-ize headband for a three day backpacking trip recently in the Adirondaks. It has two loops for different sized lights, but they are similar in size so there is not a great size range you can use. I used it with a Jetbeam C-LE [very small AA light] and a Fenix L2D-CE [one light at a time]. It was ok, but I found that I really missed having the adjustability that a headlamp offers as far as aiming the light.

In the post above 2ManyLights mentions that the Jakstrap has some aiming adjustability, can accomodate larger lights, and a fully elastic band. That sounds better, unless it makes it too big to easily carry along.

To me the Nite-ize headband, since it is so easy to carry along, will be useful for times when I don't need a full function headlamp, but may want to turn my always present EDC into a limited handsfree light.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix L1T is wider than my minimag and it is harder to insert into the Nite-ize loops than the minimag but it will fit. There is an inside loop for AAA torches.

2ManyLights

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix L1T is wider than my minimag and it is harder to insert into the Nite-ize loops than the minimag but it will fit. There is an inside loop for AAA torches.

FYI - The Jakstrap II has a velcro adjustment on the actual loop. Holds a pretty wide light.

hopkins

Enlightened
improvised headlamp bands can be made in case you misplace yours.

1. A sock (hopefully clean) can be an emergency headband. Use some string to
tie it in the correctly sized loop for you head. then tie the handheld on.
A reverseable process for those $8 wool socks:twothumbs:candle:

pipspeak

Enlightened
I would recommend the jakstrap simply because it's elasticated. The Nite-ize works fairly well but with no elastic in the band it's hard to get it tight and keep it tight. I find it starts slipping after a while.

hopkins

Enlightened
Has anyone thought of the best way to free up the use of both hands
when all you've got is a quality handheld is to have the wife or GF
hold it for you?:twothumbs:naughty:

z282z06

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone thought of the best way to free up the use of both hands
when all you've got is a quality handheld is to have the wife or GF
hold it for you?:twothumbs:naughty:

no because they suck at it! after 2 minutes they start shining it where they want to look or stop paying attention and the light wanders off target. i would rather stick it up my nose than have someone else hold it!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was really hoping somebody would've came up with a secure mount that attaches to a baseball cap bill. The light would stick out a bit, but I'd still prefer it.

In any event, I'm sure there's a profit potential in this area if somebody ever decides to grab the reigns.