any way to mod a TL3?

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
hey guys...
wanted to see if the Carley 1499 and 2x 17500s were the only way to modify the TL3 while still keeping it incandescent. i also understand that the Carley 1499 is special order only and they are hard to come by... i am EXTREMELY interested in this will group buy with anyone else interested. Also, are the any other setups that would be better for the TL3?

lebox97

Enlightened
be aware that a Carley 1499 is different from a Carley H1499... (lowered filament and Halogen gas fill - shorter bulb/envelope as well?)
there are plenty of threads discussing this hotwire.

am not aware of anything that'll beat the H1499/AW17500 combo

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
sounds awesome!! so i won't need to modify the host in anyway to accept the 17500s right? and do i need the Carley or the CarleyH? i also need to find the bi-pin adapter for the bulb.... any help?

lebox97

Enlightened
the TL-3 uses a bi-pin bulb stock ...
pull bulb out, put in new, drop in a couple of charged up AW 17500's = all done :welcome:
(NOTE: must use AW cells due to draw of the Carley bulb - most other cells won't power it up)

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
wow.... i now feel REALLY dumb.... i totally looked at the bulb too.... realized it was bi-pin and it still didn't register. anyway, will i be able to charge the 17500 in the UF quickcharger or will i need a charger? and where can i get the bi-pin Carleys?

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
Not to threadjack, but it seems like a good place to start. Is there anyway to mod a tl-3 incan with one of the new LED's? Tried a search but didn't come up with much. +++ sorry didn't realize this was in the incan section +++ NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

Last edited:

Grampa

Newly Enlightened
I'll threadjack even further. I have one of the shock-resistant TL-3s. Taking out the lamp module, it looks as if the only lamp assembly that will work in it is the SL replacement assembly. How different are the heads between the standard TL-3 and the shock-resistant? Is there a way to switch over to a standard socket, and then be able to use the aforementioned mod?

Grampa