Current Surefire Classics (must haves)?

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
After acquiring a SF A2 and G2 LED, I began looking for another SF and quickly became overwhelmed by the models, types, lumens, bezels, run times, and whing dings. So, I am looking for guidance in selecting a couple more SF lights.

It is my experience that in almost any product line, there are "classics" that express the best of that product line. I bought the A2 because it seemed to be one of those classics. I bought the G2 because they are available in yellow. These we put several around the house in key places where lights are needed and the yellow color makes it more or less easier to find.

When looking for other information here about candidates for classic current SF lights, the possibles include the L4 and M6. I plan to get the M6 for a bright "bump in the night" type light. The role of a L4 in the SF line is not clear to me.

What are your views about the classic or must have Surefire lights?

Thanks
JR

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely the M6, but you're already planning on that :eek:

The L4 is an excellent light, and has gained quite a following here. It puts out a beautiful "wall" of light that can light up an entire room. It is almost completely "flood" with little throw, so it isn't suited to long range illumination, but for indoors/short-medium range it is superb. I highly suggest you try one out of you are near a SureFire dealer.

In the end it comes down to personal preference. Having said that, a few models have enjoyed notable popularity on CPF, such as the A2. Others might include the U2, L1, 6P...and most of the others :D

Regards,
Tempest

1wrx7

Enlightened
I have an L4 and an M6. They are two of my favorite lights. Some of the KL4 heads produce a better light than others so check out a few of them to make sure you like it. Very good flood for inside and close up use. The M6 is expensive compared to modded mag lights, but you feel the build quality difference in your hand. Lots of bulb options or even a led tower module and it becomes real useable. Right now I use a lumens factory bulb for a M3 in my M6. I"m sure you would be happy with both lights. If not I'm sure someone else around CPF will be happy to take them of your hands. :grin2:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd say anything in the Executive series, and the 6P.

The L4 is one of those "wall of light" lights - all flood beam.

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Here are the classics IMHO.....

U2
A2
G2
6P
L1
L2
L4
M6

These are eight "must haves". There are another 6 or 8 "should haves".

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
M6 for sure! L4 is great also!

Problem is, ALL of them are a "classic" for one reason or another.

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
Here are the classics IMHO.....

U2
A2
G2
6P
L1
L2
L4
M6

These are eight "must haves". There are another 6 or 8 "should haves".

That is a nice list ... I can make some guesses about why each is included .

U2 -- long run time, bright but variable ouput led
A2 -- all purposed incan plus led color of choice
G2 -- bright, reasonable run time
6P -- seems like the same as above with more runtime?
L1 -- don't get this one ....
L2 --ditto above
L4 -- bright, reasonably long runtime led wall of light.
M6-- knock your socks off brightness and style

I can see buying the M6 because of style and functionality, the L4 because it offers the wall of light beam pattern and the U2 because of its variable output. What am I missing about the others?

Thanks,
JR

Illum

Flashaholic
A2 [we all know why] read the A2 threadS
M6 [the absolute limit of what incandescents can do while still be able to fit in your pocket]
L4 [kekekeke ^^] read the L4 thread
6P [Surefire classic, the 1st surefire light]

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
The new L1 Cree is a single cell, two stage light that throws well and has useful spill. It's probably the most popular "new" Surefire!

The L2 is a two-stage light with a beam profile similar to the L4. If you need a low stage and the ability to light up a room, it's hard to beat.

For what it's worth, those are the reasons I put the L1 and L2 on my list JR..:)

Last edited:

JohnRussell

Newly Enlightened
Scott, thanks for the clarification ... I have trouble with the search function here so the responses here have helped to focus what will be my next lights. Guess I have to include the L1 cree too!

scottaw

Enlightened
6P is the true classic, i just don't have a current use for one, but my L1's get a TON of use, just a simple, useful light. And of couse the M6 is like the holy grail around here (if they made several thousand holy grails...well you get the idea)

rtt

Enlightened
IMHO, The 6P is a true SF classic. I am especially fond of the round head w/o the hex. This light really gets more character after being used and abused. It just looks like a classic with missing anodize and use marks! Great light that can now be upgraded with a SF led drop-in.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John,

SureFire has a slogan, Smaller, Brighter, Better.

I think the E1e fits that very well and should be considered for your classic collection.

Lumens Factory has some great lamp assemblies that boost the output and the modification is totally reversible. Both the EO-E1R (90 lumens) and the HO-E1R (50 lumens) make this light very impressive.

Tom

carrot

Flashaholic
The new E2L seems to me that it will become a classic! 9 hours of fully regulated runtime (100% output for 9 hours!) and a loooong tail of usable light. It is also plenty bright for almost any normal task -- anything where the A2 is bright enough, the E2L is as well, but has the added advantage of an insane runtime at that output.