RGB & Controller for Landscape Waterfall needed...

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hi there,

I have a friend who has just had a new waterfall feature built onto his swimming pool which has a flap of rigid clear plastic through which water is pumped to form a 'water-wall' cascading into his pool.

My mission (cos I'm the 'light-guy' in our group of buddies) is to light up the water as it cascades into the pool.

Now, I dunno if it's going to be better to light up the plastic strip or have just the water lit up as it leaves the strip or light up the whole thing....

What I want to acheive is to have the water effectively coloured by the leds as it leaves the water-fall. Maybe even lighting the cascading water from below would work??

OK, so does anyone have any links to where this may have been discussed before (I *have* looked but came up no dice), or do any CPFers sell the RGB and controller to suit this kind of setup?

Any and all help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks everyone! :)

Tim.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dialight Lumidrive: Colourdriver RF remote control unit

You would need to use collimator lenses and fibre optics to inject the LED light into the water stream before the water tumbles out of the water fall orafice but the effect would be eye popping!

Price? Tell your pal it's in the "if you have to ask you can't afford" price range for the whole shebang.

Entropy

Enlightened
If you want to DIY the RGB control aspect, look into playing with microcontrollers like the Microchip PIC or Atmel AVR.

Many have "easy to use" variants that allow you to program them in a less efficient but much higher level language. For the PIC, it is the Parallax Basic Stamp. There are multiple solutions for Atmel AVRs, but the most well known nowadays is the Arduino. (http://www.arduino.cc/). The nice thing about the Arduinos is that it's pretty easy to also do "native" programming with the same hardware.