Need Help Choosing Light For Rafting The Colorado River

Gigman12

Newly Enlightened
Hello, we are planning to raft the CO river for several weeks and are looking for a waterproof, bright, small flashlight. As you may guess, runtime is a very important factor, as well as output. We are looking to spend less than $100.
Thank you for all your help
-Gigman

jbosman1013

Enlightened
The surefire 6PL or G2L would be my first choice or something from (oops) streamlight like the polypro LUX verson.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Gigman12, and welcome to CPF,
I'm sure you will get some good suggestions here, and because there are so many possibilities you might spend a few minutes becoming acquainted with these review sites, as they can be helpful in comparing things like runtime, brightness, waterproofness, etc:

http://www.lightreviews.info/
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm
http://www.cpfreviews.com/
http://flashlightnews.org/
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

Then you might check out this site:
http://www.brightguy.com/aboutbg.php

In particular, you might want to look at the Underwater Kinetics and Pelican lights just to get you going in the right direction. Happy hunting!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
First a few questions:
Size(More specifics)?
Output?
Modes?
Battery?
How waterproof?
Headlamp?
Runtime?

:welcome:

Gigman12

Newly Enlightened
First a few questions:
Size(More specifics)?
Output?
Modes?
Battery?
How waterproof?
Headlamp?
Runtime?

:welcome:
Thank you guys for all your help. As for these questions.

Output: Bright, but I don't need the sun in my hands, runtime is more important
Modes: Do not care
Battery: If this is referring to the type of battery in the light, then again, I do not care
How waterproof: Extremely, I am going rafting for several weeks, I expect it to get splashed/dunked more than a few times.
Headlamp: Not needed
Runtime: Extremely important, I need something that can run for a long time before I need to change batteries, like I said, I will be on the water for quite some time, so I would like to change as infrequently as possible.
Thanks for all your help
-Gigman

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, Fenix Lights have been know to be pretty water proof(one member here uses his P1D-CE as a backup diving light) and the Multimode ones are pretty easy to use while having a bright turbo and a long running low. I'd say the L2D-CE Q5(review of the L2D-CE, Q5 is about 30% brighter, 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"). They are also pretty durable, P3D-Rebel 100 abuse.

If you don't mind one more question,
Durability(as in what punishment the light will see)?

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
i would suggest taking a look at the line of princeton tech lights. nearly all of them are diveproof and have very loooooooong runtimes. the output diminishes but what light doesnt do that after a while? the inova x1 and x5 have long runtimes and are waterproofed pretty well as far as i know. mine has withstood heavy rain at least. both of these companies are 10-40$ so they wont be too missed if lost in the river :thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic
The single most important factor will be the waterproofing of this light. For this reason I would very strongly recommend you get a dive-rated light, then you will KNOW it won't fail. The other requirements are all secondary to its total reliability, and the quickest way to compromise that reliability is to flood it. You will always have a sneaking doubt about a light that is merely "dunk-proof".

I would respectfully question the run-time as a matter of serious importance, unless you are going to be on the river during actual darkness, which I rather doubt (?). Presumably this light will be mostly for camp use at night, when you would have an opportunity to change the cells if needed. As you are rafting, presumably a bit of extra weight is not a problem as you won't actually be carrying it on your back, so taking extra cells will not be a problem. You will need a water-tight case for them.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I'd go with DM51 and look into dive rated lights.

I let my son take my Underwater Kinetics Mini Q40 on his crazy Midnight Surfing trips, yes Midnight Surfing off Waikiki Beach......well, with a Full Moon and light coming off the hotels it not pitch black, but still...ya gotta be crazy.

The light was in his pocket and he was in the water for a couple of hours. The light came back bone dry on the inside and ready to go.

I would suggest the Q40 or the Q40 eLED, I think the Q40 eLED with 4 AA Lithium/L91 for the 9-10 hour run time would be the best. 40 Lumens at night should be OK.

http://www.uwkinetics.com/products/detail.php?ProductID=4&cat=6

Be safe, and have fun. :)

Braddah_Bill

Gigman12

Newly Enlightened
I would respectfully question the run-time as a matter of serious importance, unless you are going to be on the river during actual darkness, which I rather doubt (?). Presumably this light will be mostly for camp use at night, when you would have an opportunity to change the cells if needed. As you are rafting, presumably a bit of extra weight is not a problem as you won't actually be carrying it on your back, so taking extra cells will not be a problem. You will need a water-tight case for them.

As you have said, runtime is an issue, but I fear I did not describe my requirements accurately. I was trying to say that I don't want to have "the sun in my hands" for 3 minuets. Considering the length of time of the trip, and assuming it might get a half hour use every day, that would mean replacing the batteries almost every other day, if used sparingly. Someone also questioned durability. This is quite important, I don't plan on my light being smashed into rocks or the like, but should this happen, I don't want to be stuck in the dark sans a light.
Thanks so much for your help
-Gigman

Gigman12

Newly Enlightened
After looking at what people have sugested, I think that I am going to go with the "Fenix Digital L2D Black Premium Q5". I have had previous experience with Fenix and was very happy. I can attest that they make a fine quality product indeed. I can see the multi modes could be a great help in conserving battery life. Thank you guys for all your help with this!
-Gigman

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I would recommend a Princeton Tec Quad headlamp. Its supposed to be water proof to 1 meter. If your camping you really need a headlamp.

Arc AAA-P on a neck lanyard so when you wake up in the middle of the night you'll know where a light is.

Handheld w/lanyard of choice. I would recommend an incan since this won't be a primary light. A 9p perhaps.

kelmo

bouncer

Enlightened
I would guess you won't be rafting at night so waterproofing may not be as important as you would think if lights are stowed in dry bags runtime and reasonable output should be primary concerns small head lamp and average brightness handhelds so as not to spoil the wilderness experience. That being said I would have to bring my brightest just to test the throw out in someplace large light the canyon walls at night etc. but hell that me my name is Rich and I'm a flashaholic

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
A number of places have Princeton Tec Tec40s on sale for $10. Tough and durable, will run about 4-5 hrs on stock bulb and alkalines. It's original purpose was a backup dive light. Comes with a GREAT lanyard, a very good feature for rafting/canoeing. If you lose it, oh well, just out a few dollars. REI-Outlet, Campmor, and some others are the places to go to get them.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just rafted the Colorado through the Grand Canyon in August, and my primary light was a Fenix P2D. I was afraid to take more expensive lights, but only had to take some care to keep my light out of the sand while camping at night. I only ever needed low. I only showed off the high. Most people, just about everyone, had headlights as their only illumination as most were experienced campers. I only brought other lights to "play." The ideal setup would have been my EOS and a small medium bright light with about 2 hour run time and diffuser over the lens for a better walk-about beam. Medium on a Fenix Cree was plenty of light & gives way more than 2 hours run time, but the beam was not as useable as a medium wide optic like I have in my EOS. I would prefer the Rebel version having tried one now. The Crees they use are typically pale and lacking depth on sand beaches.