Fenix LOD CE Q4?LOD Rebel 80? or wait

bourget117

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,
My first post here on CPF. I have read many posts over the last two months looking to upgrade my 2 cell maglite, which i gave away. Finally decided on a Fenix P3D Q5 after reading many positive reviews. Couldn't be happier. Now I'm hooked. Now looking to get one of the LOD models for the keychain. Question is which one? I have read reviews of the LOD CE vs LOD Q4 and the LOD CE vs LOD Rebel 80. How about the Q4 vs the Rebel 80? My biggest problem with the Q4 is the color. I don't think I could get used to anything other than black. The Rebel 80 I know comes in black. But color aside, which one would perform better? Second, should I just wait and hold off and see which new LOD models come out in 2008? Who would have known that just looking up some info online to replace an old maglite would turn into and obsession. Anyway thanks for any advice.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:welcome: Prepare your wallet for the bad news future flashaholic!
All things being even I would go for the Q4. That way in 1 year when you are modding things as well, you can put the newest bin yourself. Save yourself the trouble of trying to mod the reflector. The Rebel 80 already seems to of been/being phased out by Fenix so that makes me wary, maybe it's just to switch to Rebel 100's though.

ykb

Newly Enlightened
Rebel80:
OP reflector
beam more floody
bigger but dimmer hotspot
tint slightly green / yellow

Q4:
smooth reflector
better throw
brighter, tighter hotspot
tint slightly blue

I prefer Q4. The red / copper colour is bearable :)

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Welcome, bourget117! This is my second post.

My experience is just like yours. I got my first Fenix (also a P3D Q5, in olive) late last month. I wanted something smaller, so I finally decided on the red L0D Q4 (vs. the P1D CE) and got it yesterday.

I am thrilled about my decision. I was surprised when I saw the tiny gift box, and I was even more surprised when I saw the size of the light. I then turned it on and my jaw dropped - it is so bright! I love all the modes, and the clip is just right for me to keep it close at hand. It would also be perfect on a keychain.

And my Q4 is actually copperish orange, unlike the red I was expecting.

Get the Q4! I bet you will love it!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
One could wait forever -
as there will always be something better coming along "next".

However with the Cree Q-series and the LumiLED Rebels - we have entered a new generation of very bright LED flashlights.

At one time 100 lumens was the "Holy Grail" - your P3Dce Q5 is rated at 215 lumens! - it surpasses most indoors practical usage - and outdoors it will beat almost any compact handheld flashlight...... it even rivals a 1,000,000 CP spotlight - see Post #27 (link) in this current thread - Puny LED flashlights (Not!)

Notice that the L0Drb80 on an AAA sized 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 10440 hold its own in that really bright company.

Think about it - how many people actually use a 1Mcp spotlight regularly indoors?

I like the Rebel series for their better smoother beams, and (for me) nicer warmer tints.

The RB80's are not that much less bright than the more premium RB100's - if at all - especially in a 1.5V application like in the L0D.

Fenix L0D-RB80 Comparison Review

Fenix L0D-CE Comparison Review

Last edited:

frankr

Newly Enlightened
I held off getting the Q4 because I thought a red LOD CE would look awful.
I finally broke down and bought one, I was wrong, mine also is more of a copper-orange color and I love it. It's just so unbelievable how much light it puts out. You don't even need to use a 10440 battery, but I do, just for the super WOW effect.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
im in the exact same boat youre in, comparing the L0D Rebel 80 and L0D CE Q4. and hating the red color of the Q4. i think im going to suck it up and just go with the Q4 though.

Last edited:

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
I bought the L0D rebel after buying a P2D RB100, then a week later the cree Q4 came out... typical!

but i couldn't be happier with the Rebel version. The only thing i would have to say is that the tint is rather greenish on my L0D compared with the P2D. Plus it's fun when people say, "oh i got one of them on my keys, it's one of them Maglite solitaires or summin?" then you give them a quick flash in the eyes... you know how it goes...

:welcome:

cv3po

Banned
For ME, get the q4 FO SHO! I have one (as well as the original lod-ce) and it's sweet. So far as I can tell, the only advantage to the RB80 is the textured reflector and better tint right? Both of my Cree lod's have perfectly (to my eyes) white tints and I'd think that with a light this small, you'd want a smooth reflector to get as much throw as possible. Even the original lod-ce on low has ample spill to navigate or perform close up work. Just my 2c. You won't be dissapointed with either one tho, lod's just ROCK

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, bourget117! This is my second post.

My experience is just like yours. I got my first Fenix (also a P3D Q5, in olive) late last month. I wanted something smaller, so I finally decided on the red L0D Q4 (vs. the P1D CE) and got it yesterday.

I am thrilled about my decision. I was surprised when I saw the tiny gift box, and I was even more surprised when I saw the size of the light. I then turned it on and my jaw dropped - it is so bright! I love all the modes, and the clip is just right for me to keep it close at hand. It would also be perfect on a keychain.

And my Q4 is actually copperish orange, unlike the red I was expecting.

Get the Q4! I bet you will love it!

slightly off topic, but get the P1DCE q5 too, you will not be dissapointed, this is already my third time im saying this, but thats my favourite light hands down :twothumbs

Crenshaw

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I imagine that after the holidays the L0D will be available in black and olive drab with the Q4 emitter. Just a guess. Now, is a Rebel 100 a possibility? I know they said the Q5 was a no go.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
why is this even up for debate?
isn't the q4 on par with the rebel100 in terms of lumens per watt.
it should blow away the rebel 80 hands down.

for 10440 usage, you're better off with the q4, because the vf is higher too.

two reasons to go with the q4

bourget117

Newly Enlightened
Well I read everyones opinion and decided to purchase two LOD Q4s. One for myself and one for my girlfriend for Christmas. I hope I made the right choice.

FAAbUlights

Newly Enlightened
I just received both in the mail today...the black LOD Rebel and the Holiday special LOD CE Q4. I like the rebel version better.

For me, I like the warmer tint and smoother/floodier hotspot. The Q4 version has a donut in the hotspot and is bluish in tint. There is not a Huge difference in brightness between the two. Actually, the warmer tint of the Rebel makes it easier to distinguish depth and color at equal distances of the Q4.

One very noticeable difference is that the textured reflector of the Rebel version makes the PWM less apparent. You know it is there on either model when using Medium or Low modes; but the sharper edges of the beam from the smooth reflector of the Q4 make PWM stand out much more.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to bourget117 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Sounds like you've made a good choice.

Hope you enjoy your new flashlight !

:twothumbs
_