How bad would it be to overdrive a KX1 head?

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Before anyone gets all atwitter, I realize that overdriving a KX1 head using an RCR123A is somewhat bad.

However, what exactly would happen if I overdrive a KX1 head on an E1L with an RCR123A?

-Steve

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are people running it with an RCR123. I haven't heard any big horror stories yet, but I'd search a couple of the SF L1 threads. If you want a brighter KX1 you could get in contact with Milkyspit who does mods on them quite regularly I'm sure.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I just have a bunch of RCR123A's inbound. And I love the final gen KL1 head on my E1L, and I'm debating on getting another E1L, but the ones I'm finding are all KX1's now.

-Steve

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would personally boost the current to the LED by modifying the circuit. While I love the idea of a very long running light, it would be interesting to boost the current to the Cree LED to something like 700mA or higher. It would be an extremely bright package. I'd also run it on a 2 cell body using a 17670 cell. I've done the older KL1's this way but I think the KX1 has a more efficient circuit.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would personally boost the current to the LED by modifying the circuit. While I love the idea of a very long running light, it would be interesting to boost the current to the Cree LED to something like 700mA or higher. It would be an extremely bright package. I'd also run it on a 2 cell body using a 17670 cell. I've done the older KL1's this way but I think the KX1 has a more efficient circuit.

So it would be safe to run the boost only circuit of the KX1 with a LiIon? A higher drive current would raise the vf of the led enough to make it safe? Just wondering.

Bill

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
So it would be safe to run the boost only circuit of the KX1 with a LiIon? A higher drive current would raise the vf of the led enough to make it safe? Just wondering.

Bill

Yes, that's the idea (for me at least). There's a few hundred millivolt drop through a schottky diode that will help in the cause.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
See, I'm torn between a KL1 that gives me killer light levels with a 16340 or killer runtime with a KX1.

Why not have both? And how hard is it to add the diode?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
See, I'm torn between a KL1 that gives me killer light levels with a 16340 or killer runtime with a KX1.

Why not have both? And how hard is it to add the diode?

CM is saying that the schottky diode, which is present in the KX1 circuit, helps reduce the voltage to the led when using an RCR123 3.6-4.2 volt cell.

Bill