Replacement Bulb For Craftsman 3D

S4MadMan

Enlightened
Any recommendations for a replacement LED bulb for a 3D? I'm looking for brightest output of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was at Sears and picked-up a Craftsman incandescent, aluminum 3D flashlight for $20. Nice finish, has a battery life indicator and puts out a bright light, ~5,700 Lux, giving my Streamlight SL-20X a run for its money, ~6,400 Lux (currently, been as high as 7,200 Lux on a fresh charge). The 3D also comes with an extra bulb and is an all-around great flashlight at $20.

Only two complaints, small and non-uniform hot spot which is probably due to the bulb, a Philips HPX30, as the reflector appears to be flawless; but what the heck do I know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Anyway, please advise on an LED replacement bulb, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

craftsman.jpg

Illuminated

Enlightened
The only drop-ins I know of are the LEDCorp Epion 3-cell, or the much-awaited LEDynamics EverLED. I don't have either, so I can't comment on comparitive brightness. There has been some discussion here on both of those.

You could possibly mod it into a "Blaster" using a 1W LS & 30MM optics or the reflector. I think that would be fairly bright.

If you wanted to go the 5W LS mod route, you'd either have to use a BB700 or similar stepup converter, or use more than 3 cells. You'd also probably have to modify or disconnect the battery indicator.

The battery indicator circuit in my Sears 4AA Tool Light has much more circuitry than I would have guessed. It has 3 or 4 transistors and some other components. I would guess yours is similar. Mine never changes from green since I put one of Willie Hunt's LVR incandescent PWM regulators in it. That's probably due to the pulsed current demand on the batteries - the indicator curcuit still sees adequate voltage between load pulses.

Have fun - John

JackBlades

Enlightened
I have one of these in the 2D version and it is ****-yellow on fresh batteries. Anybody have a recommendation for an upgrade bulb? Incan is fine, I'd just like a brighter, whiter beam. (Don't we all?) That pic above puts mine to shame, and I know it's not just the extra cell...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do either of you have the ability to test the indicators with a power supply?

I'm curious if they're better than the one on my 4D rubber Craftsman lantern, where the indicator doesn't quit being green until 1.1V per cell or so, and a slow fading between colors as the batteries fail rather than a clear G,Y,R sequence.

The indicator on the Ray-O-Vac industrial 2D lights that have indicators (Home Depot has 'em) have sharp changes between light colors, and useful voltage points.

Illuminated

Enlightened
Tested the indicator on the Sears 4AA.

Colors slowly fade from green to orange to red. Orange is actually a continually changing shade - likely a mix of red and green. There is only point where it actually looks orange.

On falling voltage, green begins transition to orange at at 3 volts. Orange begins transition to red at 2.75 volts. Not terribly useful for a 4-cell application IMO.

John

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On that 2D light you might try a piece of 1" plastic pipe and 3C cells.

Any 2D I can do that to has been done!

The bulbs don't seem to last as long as driving a 3 cell with 4, but seem to do okay.
(gotta use Krypton - Xenons and Kalogens don't like it!)