TnC Novice Requests Canister / Head Info

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
I am new to the TnC line. I recently purchased this light on B/S/T and am awaiting delivery.

I have always wanted to own an "X" bin Lux V light, but can not afford a used Superflashlight.

So, would it make sense to purchase an XYOS canister and SF 27mm head (Luxeon / Seoul) to fulfill my "X" dream?

How would the beam characteristics differ from the Q5 canister / head that come with the light I purchased?

I know the Lux V is older technology, but I have one in my U2 and L4 and they are two of my favorite lights.

Please correct me if this idea doesn't make any sense.

Many thanks!

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the very whitest X bin Lux V for sale

click here

Chris at Tnc, actually machined the SFIII's.

I just sold a "C" flex setup with a P4

here

The Cree "in theory", should have more focused "throw" than a Seoul or Lux V.

Like you, I prefer the Lux V's and I use a U2 or Mcgizmo HD45 LuxV or ElectroLumens "lil friend" for walking the dog and other tasks.

The Seouls have nice spill, but I still prefer Lux V.

If it were me, would contact Bogus1 (Eric) and ask if he could have a Lux V setup for your new C flex, built......I believe that you would need a different reflector, as well.

Good Luck!

Jeff

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Many thanks jeffb. Yeah, I was drooling over your TnC Lux V for sale and I would love to have it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty tapped-out right now.

Actually, I have been reading a lot of your TnC posts and reviews of their different components - trying to get myself up to speed. You really seem to know their products.

I was hoping that because the light I bought has a C-Flex - SF head adapter, that I could just buy an XYOS canister from the TnC store ($85) and a 27mm Luxeon head ($62.50), hoping they were an appropriate match and would give me good results. I doubt that I could afford a custom build right now.

Thanks for validating my preference for the Lux V. I have several of the new Cree "throwers" and frankly have lost my love for those tiny, tiny hotspots with almost no spill.

Thanks again,
Bill

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

I didn't realize that TnC had an XYOS, readily available......you should be able to buy that cannister and the Luxeon reflector and be "good to go"

click here

The reflector should fit.

Should be a really nice setup for you!!

Jeff

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
jeffb, thanks so much for the info.

I went ahead and ordered the canister and reflector and will post a pic when it all gets here.

I am pretty excited about the mix 'n match characteristics of the TnC products. It is taking me a bit of research to see what-goes-with-what.

Someone should make a spreadsheet or chart of products and their counterparts.

Anyway, continued good luck on selling the 18650 XYOS. It looks like a great light and I spent some time considering what I could sell to finance it.

Cheers,
Bill

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your order. I'll ship tomorrow.

Remember you can drive the X canister up to 6v.

We are going to build some standard cell solutions using the C-Flex, whether it be a battery carrier for multiple AAAs, sub C cells or whatever. We built spacers so you can use regular C cells in the C-Flex tubes now, I'll be listing those some time this month. Actually these spacers would work to convert any AW C Li-ion tube to standard C. That will give guys the ability to drive the new K2 or Crees harder than 3.6v if they want and many other options.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good information here! You may also want to try Bogus1 (Eric) for some of the inside information!

Karl