HDS smooth tail - anyone disassemble successfully?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little worried about the future of my EDC. Reports are Novatac no longer has any parts or service. I figure the only thing to go wrong is the rubber button or the switch. If I can get to them, maybe any repairs can be fabricated, or adapted from the Novatac tailcap.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
I'm a little worried about the future of my EDC. Reports are Novatac no longer has any parts or service. I figure the only thing to go wrong is the rubber button or the switch. If I can get to them, maybe any repairs can be fabricated, or adapted from the Novatac tailcap.

Some of the smooth tail HDS have a tail and body that are one piece and some have a two piece (separate body and tail cap). If your's is separate, it's a simple matter to replace the tail cap. If they are joined, you would need both parts. Don't know about repairs but the replacement tail caps are around $20. Not bad price.

Ken

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My smooth tail looks like 2 piece. But I seem to recall people having to destroy them to get them apart. Do you know where these are available for $20?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the smooth tail HDS have a tail and body that are one piece and some have a two piece (separate body and tail cap). If your's is separate, it's a simple matter to replace the tail cap. If they are joined, you would need both parts. Don't know about repairs but the replacement tail caps are around $20. Not bad price.

Ken

All good the tail caps are without the body section. Someone should really start making the old HDS bodies.

KenAnderson

Enlightened

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the Novatac tails at Lighthound. I'm just not sure I can get my smooth tail off, since there are few if any reports on this. Also, there have been production changes inside to springs (mine has the 2 long wire bails outside of the battery and a center spring) and I fear incompatibilities. Maybe for $20 I should just try it.